Join member

ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Motherboard > M2N-MX SE  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]why should i update bios New Topic
canto
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:3/15/2010 5:27:00 AM # 1
I have read there are risks with updating bios, I recently purchased a video card (msi n210) to be exact and installed on the mobo (m2n-mx se), but wont recognize even after making changes in current bios in southbridge...pcie-pci-agp. The video card works on a friends computer so I know it is not to blame. Will a newer version of this bios fix this problem or is it not worth the headache? Thanks in advance any comments welcome.

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
zerocool
Level :
Tech Points : 3894
Posted:3/15/2010 5:54:00 AM # 2
I would be surprised if a BIOS update fixes the problem.  There's always the risk of bricking your board, but you can give it a try. 

Start with power, does the PSU have enough +12v amps to run the video card?  You might want to call the GPU manufacturer and ask if the video card's current BIOS has any known conflicts with your motherboard.  They may have a new video card BIOS they will give you.  This would require that you connect the card to a machine that it works in and then flash a new BIOS onto the video card.

*******Bad BIOS Flash and Dead Board Testing. ***** ALL Boards ***** http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20090420211645831&board_id=1&model=Maximus+Formula&page=1&SLanguage=en-us
canto
Level :
Posted:3/15/2010 6:16:00 AM # 3
Ok, thanks for the quick response. I thought I met all the minimum requirements for the card ie. 350w power, I do remember looking for an update for the graphics card and none was found when I used their software cd for utlilites.

zerocool
Level :
Tech Points : 3894
Posted:3/15/2010 6:35:00 AM # 4
If it only requires 350w PSU, then the power supply is probably not an issue unless it's not compatible with the video card.  Although rare, it happens.

Flashing video card BIOS is something that rarely needs to be done, but is sometimes necessary especially with a brand new line of cards, when the first cards released have an early bIOS release that hasn't been fully tweaked.  If this card has been out for a while then this is probably not the problem.  I would ask both of these questions when you call the manufacturer.

Try this::  my machine will not post after changing video cards until I clear CMOS.  Clear CMOS as explained in the user's manual.  It may be called "clear RTC ram".  I don't have the manual for this board with me at the moment.

*******Bad BIOS Flash and Dead Board Testing. ***** ALL Boards ***** http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20090420211645831&board_id=1&model=Maximus+Formula&page=1&SLanguage=en-us
canto
Level :
Posted:3/15/2010 7:08:00 AM # 5
Thanks, I will try that.

Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.