ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Notebook > G72GX  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]Cannot Turn On Wireless Capability New Topic
Corey
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:2/8/2010 11:28:00 AM # 1
Hey,

I recently reformatted my computer to Vista 64 bit, because Windows 7 was giving me some problems. When the reformatting was done, I found that I could not enable my wireless capability (supposed to be a combination of the fn and the f2 keys). Several of my other function keys aren't working as well. I installed all the keyboard drivers, as well as wireless drivers, I could find, and even the onscreen keyboard doesn't work. I reformatted back to Windows 7 and I am still having the same issue.

Furthermore, when Windows does it's automatic update, and asks if I want to restart, I get an error message after the step that says "configuring windows updates". The error message is a blue screen that flashes up briefly and then goes away. My computer restarts automatically again, and it goes in a loop with this problem until I manually shut down my computer (by holding the power button) and turn it back on.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
bob
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 2
Posted:2/20/2010 2:42:00 AM # 2
you need to restor the original dri ver, i had the same problem

Barry
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 22
Posted:2/21/2010 11:45:00 AM # 3

Actually, I experienced the same thing when Windows did an update for the wireless driver.

I found the solution to be in power management. I rolled back the driver and it still didn't work. Knowing that people had other complaints such as frame GPU drops due to  power management, I looked on the power management tab of the device driver and unchecked "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power".

What I think is that the bios/board has an issue with power management in general. When you hit the switch and the machine also went into a power save mode, it shut down the card because of this setting. It could also be something with the ASUS power utility, but regardless, if you do this, you uncouple the power saving action from the wireless card.

I have to add, that just tried turning off the switch on the side after making this setting, and found that when I turned it back on, I also had to hit the FN +F2 key combo to re-enable the wireless. It does work consistently, where before, it took rebooting the computer before it would work again. To give ASUS credit, this is more of a Windows problem thhan a hardware issue. Windows 7 has some wierd power quirks that may not be that way in other OSs. The wireless card manufacturer makes their own drivers, so it's dificult situation.

Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: MCZ New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.