SEARCH
ASUS Member ID
Password
Forgot password?
Join member

ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Motherboard > P5GC-MX/1333  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem][solved] Windows Vista/7 hangs at "windows/system32/DRIVERS/disk.sys" New Topic
Scotty_Gun
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:2/7/2010 12:34:00 PM # 1
I had a heck of a time getting Windows to install on this board.  I've owned it for almost 2 years now.  It's first incarnation was as a LAMP server running Ubuntu dapper drake 6.06 LTS.  The LAMP crashed a couple months back.  I never did figure out why.  I didn't need that much power anyway.  I've since bought a new 32" Samsung 720p LCD HD TV and was looking for an HTPC solution.  Not finding an out-of-the-box solution that fit my needs or my wallet, I figured I would trick out this board as best I could.

I started off attempting a clean install of Windows Vista 32 bit with a new SATA hard drive.  We all know what happened next.  The install DVD got as far as "Windows is loading files..." and then it froze.  Safe Mode debug showed that it was hanging up at "windows/system32/DRIVERS/disk.sys". 

A cursory search of the interwebs revealed that I was not the only one with this issue.  Suggestions abounded.  I was first directed to update the bios.  This proved to be no small task, as a floppy drive and boot disk was required.  I spent the better part of a Saturday acquiring the needed supplies before successfully updating to the latest bios, only to find that this was not the solution I was looking for.

Predominant theories still pointed towards a SATA disk driver issue.  The Vista install disk does not allow you to install any device drivers before booting a "clean" install.  Assuming this was a Vista issue and seeing that the board had plenty of Windows 7 support, I decided to give Microsoft's latest and greatest a try.  Booting up the Windows 7 install disk for the first time, I was dismayed to find the very same disk.sys lock-up.

The culprit ended up being the board's on-board PCI express network adapter.  Disabling the on-board LAN from the BIOS resolved the hang-up.  After Windows 7 was successfully installed, I reactivated the on-board LAN and found that this adapter does not play nice at all.  I still have not found a way to successfully boot Windows while the on-board LAN is enabled.  If anyone knows how to get this to work, let me know.  For now, I've got a linksys PCI ethernet card that's working like a charm but also taking up valuable real estate in my only open PCI slot.

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
P5GC-MX/1333, Celeron Dual-Core Processor E1200, Apevia 520w Power Supply, 2 x Kingston 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667, Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s, Samsung SH-S182D Super-WriteMaster DVD writer, SAPPHIRE 100258-1GHDMI Radeon HD 4850 1GB 256-bit Graphics card, Windows 7 32bit
Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: Ulrich New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.