ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Notebook > U50Vg  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]How to reformat my laptop??? New Topic
Chee Yung
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:1/31/2010 8:45:00 PM # 1
May I know the proper way of reformatting my laptop?? Do I need to burn the recovery discs using the AI Recovery burner?? I have already burnt it. And I want to ask, is the recovery discs include the operating system?? And when I am reformatting, I need to use the recovery discs that I burnt myself or the recovery discs that is given when I purchase the laptop??

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Willy
Level :
Tech Points : 3969
Posted:2/2/2010 3:39:00 PM # 2

Use the hidden partition, reserved for recovery purpose, in the hard disk to restore your computer to the factory settings.  Backup your personal data first.

Restart your computer.  Press F9 key immediately when the ASUS logo appears.  This will start the recovery procedure, including the installation of all the drivers and utilities.  Follow the instructions.  Your computer will be restored to the factory settings.

Good luck!

Chee Yung
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:2/3/2010 5:00:00 PM # 3

Quote:
Author: Willy Posted: 2/2/2010 3:39:00 PM

Use the hidden partition, reserved for recovery purpose, in the hard disk to restore your computer to the factory settings.  Backup your personal data first.

Restart your computer.  Press F9 key immediately when the ASUS logo appears.  This will start the recovery procedure, including the installation of all the drivers and utilities.  Follow the instructions.  Your computer will be restored to the factory settings.

Good luck!

Then may I know what is the usage of the recovery discs???? Both the one I burnt and the one comes with the laptop.....@@

Kimo
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 217
Posted:2/3/2010 9:07:00 PM # 4
The recovery discs will restore the laptop if the original hard drive is damaged or replaced and you can't access the recovery partition.  They do the same thing, but it is faster to recover from the partition on the hard drive.

Chee Yung
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:2/4/2010 1:23:00 PM # 5

Quote:
Author: Kimo Posted: 2/3/2010 9:07:00 PM

The recovery discs will restore the laptop if the original hard drive is damaged or replaced and you can't access the recovery partition.  They do the same thing, but it is faster to recover from the partition on the hard drive.

Then can I know how to use the recovery discs??? Is it the same way as using the hidden partition???

Kimo
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:2/5/2010 2:25:00 AM # 6
Yes, it is the same thing.  Either method will get you the Windows operating system and Asus drivers and utilities on the laptop just like when it left the factory.  To use the recovery CDs, just put them in and boot from CD (you can set the BIOS to boot the CD drive first, or use the boot options, which is "ESC" after you first power on on the G51, but may be a different key like F12 on your model).  Follow the instructions on the screen.  If you chose to reformat the disc, you will lose all data on the computer.  You can also chose to just reformat the partition the OS is installed on, in which case you will lose any data on that partition only, the rest of the drive should remain untouched.

Lewin
Level :
Posted:2/15/2010 6:33:00 AM # 7
on my 1005ha pressing f9 doesn't get me to a restore screen. i have a virus on my machine and want to reformat the hard disk but can't figure out a way to do it. any advice?

Joordens
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:2/23/2010 12:23:00 AM # 8
I am having the same problem. I can't boot my laptop from the recovery disc, not by pressing F9 or any other F-button. How comes, and how can I boot my pc from the recovery disc, because I want to reinstall windows on it, because my notebook has become much slower and it shuts down several programs for no reason. Any help on this would be great!

Thanks in advance,

Pieter Joordens

Kimo
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:2/24/2010 1:54:00 AM # 9
In both of your situations, you can enter the BIOS and under the list of boot devices, make sure the DVD drive is at the top.

ronhol
Level :
Posted:10/20/2011 10:32:00 AM # 10
I have an Asus Laptop less than 2 years old.
I think I caught a virus, everything is disappearing, programs icons etc.
I have moved twice since I bought it, and cannot any reboot discs.
I have backed up my hardrive on a Clickfree backup drive.
How can I reformat and fix this computer?

Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: MCZ New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.