Join member

ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Multimedia > O!Play Air  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem][1.18]Post Request & Suggestion Here New Topic
d4005
Level :
Tech Points : 43
Posted:2/9/2010 3:43:00 AM # 31
I have a R3 (air) just in case in the R1 some of these are already addressed.

1. Support WMV7 and WMV8 would be my top priority request. I have over 3,000 of them and can't watch any.

2. Ability to create shortcuts.

3. Allow shortcuts to be to subdirectories (e.g. \\machine\dir1\dir2\dir3 ).

4. Audio normalize option (to account for videos with varying volume levels).

5. Give us more information on which are your current top development priorities. It would be nice to know what you plan to fix and what you'll never fix. For example, if you say you'll never add WMV7/8 support then I can throw it in the trash right now and buy something else. I just want to know if I should wait.

6. Sleep Timer.

7. Separate the 1.18 stickies from the O!Play Air forum. We're on firmware version 1.05 (or 1.06) so seeing 1.18 when we're in the Air forum can be confusing. The R3 should have it's own request sticky.

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Scare!
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:2/10/2010 12:21:00 PM # 32
Request/suggestion:

- Video slow motion (at various speeds) and frame-by-frame (advancing when a button on the remote is pressed), at least in forward play, and in reverse too if they can manage it.

There are enough buttons on the remote to use as controls for slow & frame-by-frame playback.  As it is now, the fast-forward button switches playback to a higher speed (1.5x, 2x...) from both playing and paused states.  They could, for example, leave that functionality the same when playing, but when paused have that button advance to the next frame, or change the slow-motion playback rates.  Or they could use the arrow keys (up & down are unused when playing a video anyway).  Slow motion playback speeds could be 1/2, 1/4, 1/8...

I have both the Asus O!Play HDP-R1 (1.18N, purchased a few months ago) and the Asus O!Play Air HDP-R3 (still 1.05N, purchased yesterday, so I obviously liked the first one), and slow motion and frame-by-frame playback would be a great addition to both of them.  They're both great products and have been able to play almost everything I've thrown at them.  Getting the wireless network connection was easy (though I agree with another poster here: it would be nice to be able to read those long network keys from a USB device).

So, more suggestions (which others may have mentioned)...

- Be able to read network keys from a USB device.

- Auto-scaling so that all of the video is on-screen.  When I play 16:9 video to my 4:3 TV via the composite video connector, I have to go to 0.9x zoom to see the contents of the left edge of the video, and even then there's still about 4% of the video width out past the right edge of the screen.  Some of that, of course, could be due to the TV.

- A default zoom level in the settings.

- Improve the reverse play, if possible.  Maybe some of the video that has just been played could be held in a memory buffer.  More buffering ahead could also keep playback smooth when the network speed is limited.

- Make forward/reverse jumps smaller than 1 minute available.

- Random play of music, images, and videos.

- An on-screen indicator (maybe on the video preview page) if the (wireless) network speed isn't adequate for the video being previewed.  Contrary to another poster here, I like the network speed reading that it gives.  A corresponding average speed requirement for a video would be nice.  It would also be nice to have an unobtrusive indicator during playback if the bit rate at any instant isn't adequate (say, flash one of the LEDs).

- A default setting for subtitles, like "off".  Subtitles in a language different than the language selected in Setup > System > Menu Language especially should default to "off".

- Release the source code and any compiling instructions that may be required.  Having a community of developers and tweakers would be an opportunity to see what else the hardware can do, which mods people like, and possible incorporation into future official hardware releases, and make it an even more popular product.

Asus O!Play HDP-R1 1.18N, Asus O!Play Air HDP-R3 1.05N, Asus P5W DH Deluxe motherboard, Asus EAX1950pro video card, maybe other stuff too...
Penny
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 238
Posted:2/10/2010 12:43:00 PM # 33
Great idea!!!
it's really awesome!
We appreciated your feedback very much.

We are improving O!Play family products.
we would listen customers' voice and suggestions.
And do our best to offer best digital media player for you guys.

Thanks very much!

oleiros
Level :
Tech Points : 2
Posted:2/10/2010 4:53:00 PM # 34
Hi, those are my request/suggestions. I believe that they are necessary:

1- Better wifi configuration. Similar to wired network configuration: WPA2 support, static IP support, wifi (& lan) MAC address visible in setup info, etc.
2- Play DVD's (and files in data DVD) from an external reader connected via USB/eSATA. I ignore if that is possible right now.
3- Instruccions to configure the device via telnet commands (like the static IP of the wifi network).
4- GPL source code with intrucctions for compilation of the firmware.
5- Info on the Asus web about the expected new features of the new upcoming firmware. Or at least, a "bitacora" progress status from the asus o!play developers. A piece of hardware that is changed with new features periodically, will be a top seller.

Thank you very much.

Fred
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 53
Posted:2/10/2010 5:17:00 PM # 35
I'll add my 2cents worth to other comments asking for a fix to the responsiveness of the remote control while playing wirelessly. I've tried fresh batteries, various angles and distances to the unit etc. but getting a response while playing anything wirelessly is still extremely variable, and is not really acceptable for everyday use.

I don't know why this happens, if the CPU is underpowered, there are not enough CPU cycles devoted to remote recognition or some other reason but this is getting to be a very annoying flaw in an otherwise pretty good media player.

Please fix it.

d4005
Level :
Tech Points : 43
Posted:2/10/2010 7:56:00 PM # 36

Quote:
Author: Fred Posted: 2/10/2010 5:17:00 PM

I'll add my 2cents worth to other comments asking for a fix to the responsiveness of the remote control while playing wirelessly. I've tried fresh batteries, various angles and distances to the unit etc. but getting a response while playing anything wirelessly is still extremely variable, and is not really acceptable for everyday use.

I don't know why this happens, if the CPU is underpowered, there are not enough CPU cycles devoted to remote recognition or some other reason but this is getting to be a very annoying flaw in an otherwise pretty good media player.

Please fix it.

I have that too, I thought it was just me. I find while I'm navigating through the files on a network drive, when I stop at one, I have to press play 3 or 4 times. I think it's too busy reading/analyzing the file and preparing it's preview to respond to the remote keypress.

oleiros
Level :
Posted:2/13/2010 4:29:00 AM # 37
Tried new version 1.09 PAL.
- Nice online features (really nice), but hard to navigate (i suggest capital letters shortcuts in tv channels page) and slow response with the remote control. Well, the slow response using the remote control is global to all the player.
- Wifi still lacks the static IP /gateway feature. I really need that :-) . Please, please, copy & paste the wired lan configuration page in the wifi side.

Thanks for your work.

newnews
Level :
Tech Points : 44
Posted:2/13/2010 9:10:00 AM # 38
Some points may already mentioned by someone, but still:

1. Add option to show/hide "C$...."
2. Add "Favourites" in the main menu for people to add shared network folder shortcut for fast access. Now it takes more than 5 steps to play a file.
3. Add option to choose NFS or CIFS share method for each shared network folder.
4. Add external DVD-reader support
5. Should be able to flash new firmware from card reader
6. Remote control: Play, FF,FR,STOP,SKIP keys are too small, but the other keys are too big.
7. Support divx embedded XSub.
8. To improve 1080p play back via network, e.g. increase buffer size when playing 1080p files.
9. Auto HDMI output to various device without select LPCM/RAW/...
10. Use full screen to display file list if media preview turns off. 

Hope ASUS can implement and Happy Chinese New Year!

jeronimo
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:2/13/2010 11:13:00 AM # 39
In my opinion the usability of the Music/Movies/Photo buttons is not perfect.

Currently, those buttons simply switch on a filter dependent on the file type/extension.

It would be better to have these buttons configurable to send the user to a certain FOLDER and always show all files (or not, as some users might have everything in one folder...).

Currently, when I am finished watching a movie and want to listen to music I have to manually navigate to my music folder and additionally press the Music key to show the music. That is simply not as it should be.

Adams
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 210
Posted:2/14/2010 12:31:00 PM # 40
Don't know if this will be seen or not but it would be great if I could access my netflix account . I would buy at least one more if this would happen .

First  Prev  1 2 3 4 5  Next  Last
Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.