ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Notebook > UL80VT  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]Problem with HDMI output to TV New Topic
Groh
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:1/24/2010 10:22:00 AM # 1
I can't get audio using the HDMI to the TV (VIZIO 47 inch). Also, seems that I get a caution sign (can't load driver) on the NVIDIA icon in device manager? I have to uninstall the driver after plugging in the HDMI cable?

Does anyone know the proper steps to use the HDMI port with a TV?

Called ASUS Tech support and they were all over the place. Nothing resolved.

Thanks. Jeff

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Andri
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 324
Posted:1/24/2010 6:24:00 PM # 2
When using HDMI, the audio is provided through Nvidia HD Audio, not through Realtek HD Audio. If there's a problem with the driver for the Nvidia HD Audio, then you will not get sound through HDMI.

Easiest way to use HDMI is to use integrated graphics first, plug in the HDMI cable from notebook to TV and make sure TV is on and showing through HDMI port, then switch to discrete graphics. Afterwards you can hit Fn-F8 to turn off the notebook's screen so it will only show on the TV.

If there's a problem with the Nvidia HD Audio driver, uninstall the driver completelt and then let Windows find the driver for it on the Internet. Windows will download the driver and install it properly.

Another thing is that the Realtek control panel utility may conflict with the Nvidia HD Audio, so you have to end the process. Just hit Ctrl-Alt-Delete, click on Start Task Manager, click on Processes tab, select something like 'RAVcpl64.exe" and click End Process to stop it. You may have to switch back to integrated graphics first and then to discrete graphics.

IJp
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 8
Posted:1/24/2010 7:17:00 PM # 3

Quote:
Author: Groh Posted: 1/24/2010 10:22:00 AM

I can't get audio using the HDMI to the TV (VIZIO 47 inch). Also, seems that I get a caution sign (can't load driver) on the NVIDIA icon in device manager? I have to uninstall the driver after plugging in the HDMI cable?

Does anyone know the proper steps to use the HDMI port with a TV?

Called ASUS Tech support and they were all over the place. Nothing resolved.

Thanks. Jeff

I have the same problem with HDMI to the TV you must download the latest NVIDIA Vga driver From Asus. I have e new problem the driver wil not install. :(

Groh
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:1/25/2010 12:26:00 AM # 4
Andri,

Thanks for your advice. It makes perfect sense what you recommended.

I get the laptop to push video through one time using your steps above. I followed the directions about audio. However, the audio still came through the speakers (even after ending the RAVcpl64.exe in the task manager [processes]).

I even tried disabling the driver in device manager hoping it would revert to the NVidia audio [no joy].

Not sure why I can't get video when I restart the computer a second time following your steps above.

I bet your advice will work for others. Not quite sure why I'm having difficulty.

BTW: I did completely unistall the Nvidia driver and reload the most current driver as you suggested. I update the Realtek driver also.

Thanks again for taking the time to post these instructions. Again, I do believe your advice is accurate. I must have something else going on in my particular case.

IJp
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 8
Posted:1/25/2010 1:47:00 AM # 5

Quote:
Author: Groh Posted: 1/25/2010 12:26:00 AM

Andri,

Thanks for your advice. It makes perfect sense what you recommended.

I get the laptop to push video through one time using your steps above. I followed the directions about audio. However, the audio still came through the speakers (even after ending the RAVcpl64.exe in the task manager [processes]).

I even tried disabling the driver in device manager hoping it would revert to the NVidia audio [no joy].

Not sure why I can't get video when I restart the computer a second time following your steps above.

I bet your advice will work for others. Not quite sure why I'm having difficulty.

BTW: I did completely unistall the Nvidia driver and reload the most current driver as you suggested. I update the Realtek driver also.

Thanks again for taking the time to post these instructions. Again, I do believe your advice is accurate. I must have something else going on in my particular case.

Do you have the sound icon on the start bar set to playdevices. Set the HDMI as standard in you should have sound.

Groh
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:1/25/2010 3:40:00 AM # 6

Andri, et al

I got the HDMI output to work fine on my Panasonic 37 inch flat screen following your procedures. Obviously, My Vizio 47 inch doesn't like the laptop config.

I'm pleased to know that the laptop is working the way it should.

I will now investigate fixes through Vizio.

Again, I recommend Andri's fix to correct any HDMI output problems. The ASUS tech did say the some brands of TVs don't integrate well with laptop HDMI outputs.

Thanks Andri for the help. R/Jeff

Andri
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:1/25/2010 8:08:00 PM # 7
I've read on another forum that the HDMI sound just doesn't want to work on certain TVs. I'm almost certain that it's because of the different versions of HDMI available out there, so it's a compatibility problem. Currently there are 5 versions of the HDMI standard from 1.0 to 1.4. If the TV doesn't support the version used in the UL80VT (or vice versa), you don't get HDMI sound.

Were you using the exact same HDMI cable on the UL80VT to connect to your Panasonic and Vizio TVs? It's a long shot, but it could also be a cable problem if you used different HDMI cables to connect your UL80VT to those 2 TVs. If you used the exact same cable where HDMI sound is working through the Panasonic but there's still no sound on the Vizio, then it really is a compatibility problem with the different HDMI versions, and I don't think there's anything that can be done about that (unless the Vizio TV has a firmware update to support the latest HDMI version).

Groh
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:1/26/2010 9:10:00 AM # 8
Mystery finally solved.

Thanks to Andri, others and bit more playing around.

Here is what I did to finally make it work on my Vizio 47 inch

1) Start at integrated mode on the graphics card (using button on upper left of the laptop)
2) Plugged in HDMI from Laptop to TV
3)Switched to discrete graphics mode
4) Stopped the realtek program in the Task Manager, Processes
5) Pressed Fn F8 key sending the picture from the laptop to the TV
6) Started movie

Everything worked 100% (audio and video).

You think this would be readily available info. Btw: Vizio certainly wasn't much help. ASUS tech support wasn't any help either.

Andri
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:1/26/2010 8:03:00 PM # 9
I'm glad you got it working. It would be nice if Asus or Nvidia can simplify all those steps into just one push of a button or Fn key. :)

andre
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:2/11/2010 10:02:00 PM # 10
been trying to do those steps but no luck so far.... try to connect my ul80vt to a 32 inch panasonic tv

1 2  Next  Last
Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: MCZ New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.