ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Multimedia > O!Play Air  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]Can't get into shared folders on OSX. New Topic
Hastie
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 2
Posted:1/22/2010 11:39:00 AM # 1
I've tried emailing the service people about this problem, but they don't seem to be any help, unless you want canned responses emailed to you. I've been trying to get into my shares on my iMac, and I've set it up EXACTLY as the directions from the techs have told me, but I am getting no joy. I can SEE all the folders, but I can't get into any of them. I just get the password window on the O!Play, and every time I enter a username/password (a process that takes way too long) I just get "Login Fail". So frustrating! I'm about ready to take it back.

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
tvjohn
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 232
Posted:1/22/2010 6:44:00 PM # 2
I'm sharing folders fine here on my mac mini, OS 10.6.2 (Snow Leopard). What instructions did they give you? In the file sharing pane in "System pref's" tick "File Sharing", + to add the folders you want to share (or Get Info" in the Finder & tick shared folder). Next + again for Users. I have "everyone" read only but choose what you want. Then click on Options, & tick "Share files & Folders using SMB (Windows). Let us know how you get on.

Hastie
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:1/22/2010 11:22:00 PM # 3
I've done all that. I've followed their instructions to the letter. I've even added a new user named Oplayer to see if the defaults will let it in. No dice. It can see Vuze on UPnP, but it won't stream anything over a certain size (which makes it useless for streaming HD content.)

tvjohn
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:1/23/2010 12:47:00 AM # 4
But you still haven't said what "their" instructions are? After I posted earlier today, I followed the same procedure I pointed out, on my wife's macbook, & that works fine too! So, can you tell us more about your LAN network? For example here we have a AEBS router & our mac's connect either via ethernet (my mini is whilst I'm testing the O!Play) or wifi (my wife's is on wifi). As you can hopefully appreciate, troubleshooting several 1000 miles away isn't easy :-)

Kolstein
Level :
Tech Points : 34
Posted:1/23/2010 8:08:00 AM # 5
After I upgraded from 1.05 to 1.06 I have similair issues. My OS X shares don't show up. Shares are online, I can ping the O!Play from my Mac. The only solution I have found so far is to reconfigure my wireless connection to my AP to get this working again. Very frustrating as this used to work perfectly under the 1.05 firmware.

Hastie
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:1/23/2010 8:40:00 AM # 6
So what I have here is an Airport Extreme router with both my computer and O!Play AIR connected both over wireless and ethernet. Their instructions were as follows (I'm cutting and pasting, minus the screenshots): ------------------------------ Open Sharing preferences. 1.Log in with an administrator user account. 2.From the Apple menu, choose System Preferences. 3.From the View menu, choose Sharing. Select folders to share. 1. Click the + (plus) icon below the "Shared Folders:" field. A sheet appears where you can navigate to the folder you wish to share. In the example below, the folders named "John's Public Folder" and "Shared" (/Users/Shared) have been selected for sharing. 2.Add the Everyone Repeat this process for all folders you wish to share. Key Point: Select the Enable Windows File Sharing checkbox. share files and folders using smb ------------------------------ I have "Everyone" set for Read/Write. I apologize that this is so hard to read. I guess paragraph breaks aren't allowed in this forum. Yet another feat of engineering by ASUS.

tvjohn
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:1/23/2010 7:45:00 PM # 7
Well, that’s pretty much the same as our setup here. So your O!Play network tab is set to DHCP (auto), yes? What’s its IP address? So did your sharing work fine in 1.05? I’m using 1.06 & it’s ok, so all this is really strange. If you have “EyeTV Connect” you could also see if UPnP works with that. There’s a free trial from elgato.com.

Kolstein
Level :
Posted:1/23/2010 8:27:00 PM # 8
I have a fix which worked for me. What I did was the following: 1. telnet to the box via the Terminal in OS X and fire off command "telnet " (You can reach the Terminal application via Finder -> Go -> Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal 2. Login with user 'root' (no quotes) and no password (BTW. I tried to apply a password for this onprotected user but was unable to do so. Very sloppy to leave this account open BTW. 3. Go to the directory /usr/local/etc/dvdplayer via the command "cd /usr/local/etc/dvdplayer/ 4. Enter the command "mv NetworkBrowser.ini NetworkBrowser.old" and "mv bookmark.db boomark.old" (This is to backup these files in case of issues) 5. Then type "reboot" to reload the box. 6. Now try to reach your shares. This worked for me even after several hardboots (power off/on) and soft reboots (via the command "reboot") Appearantly after the firmware upgrade these files got somehow corrupted. I hope this is a permanent fix though. In future firmware upgrades the installtion script might be changes to backup these files and let the system create new ones.

Kolstein
Level :
Posted:1/24/2010 2:17:00 AM # 9
"The plot thickens" ;-) My initial joy was smashed when I booted up again and was again unable to see my shares. But after I fired up my Windows laptop and navigated to the Shared folders without a glitch, suddenly I saw the "workgroup" share pop up and I was able to navigate to my folders again. When i logged on to the O!Play and did a netstat -a to see which connections are open, I saw Netbios traffic going back and forth between my Mac and the O!Play. I have a hunch that it all might be related in the way Apple uses NetBIOS and advertisements. I use the Bonjour service, so that might be the issue. Maybe Asus can verufy/confirm this? In some way the O!Play doesn't handle NetBIOS correctly.

Hastie
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:1/24/2010 2:38:00 AM # 10
tvjohn: I got it with 1.05, and upgraded to 1.06. There's been no difference in it's behaviour from before to after the upgrade.I can get UPnP to work through Vuze, but it won't play files over a certain size. ------------- kolstein: Thanks for the help, but since it doesn't seem to have made much of a difference for you, I don't think I'm going to even start the telnet option.

1 2 3  Next  Last
Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.