Join member

ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Motherboard > Crosshair  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]Motherboard will not power up New Topic
Jeet
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:1/19/2010 10:03:00 AM # 1
I just recently upgraded my processor from a Athlon X2 4800 to a Phenom X4 9950 BE on my Crosshair motherboard along with the PSU, since my old one was only 430w. So I got a Corsair TX 950w. But the motherboard will only power up for around 2-3 sec before turning off. At first I thought it was bad connections, so I took everything off leaving only the 24 pin on the motherboard and the 8 pin for the ATX12v and it still did the same thing. Then I thought maybe the PSU was a defect so I went and did an exchange, I hooked it up and the same thing occured. I m at a lost at what the problem maybe. I appreciate any input on the situation. Thanks!

Here are other specs of the PC if it will help:

CPU: Phenom X4 9950 BE
Mobo: Crosshair AM2 nForce 590
RAM: Corsair XMS2 2GB 800MHz (x2)
Video Card: BFG 7950GT nVidia
PSU: Corsair TX 950w 

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Ulrich
Level :
Tech Points : 18480
Posted:1/19/2010 10:35:00 AM # 2
Hi J...

A shutdown after 2 or three seconds generally indicates an overheating processor.  Did you clean off all the old thermal interface material fron the bottom of your heatsink and applu new material before installing the heatsink?

This version of the processor is not supported...

HD995ZFAJ4BGH   140watt

This one is supported...

HD995ZXAJ4BGH   125watt

If you installed the ZFA, you may be overstressing the processor VRMs which can also lead to a shutdown.

There are 10 kinds of people in the World...Those who understand binary, and those who dont!
Jeet
Level :
Posted:1/19/2010 10:51:00 AM # 3
Hi Ulrich

My process has the code HD995ZXAGHBOX so i guess mine is supported.

The processor i installed was brand new from the box and the heatsink came with pre-applied thermal compound. So i just installed it the way it came.

Ulrich
Level :
Posted:1/19/2010 11:15:00 AM # 4
Hi J..

Yes... that one is supported.  And the thermal interface should not be an issue.  The power supply seems plenty big enough to properly power the new processor. 

So the next issue to consider is the BIOS..

There are 10 kinds of people in the World...Those who understand binary, and those who dont!
Jeet
Level :
Posted:1/19/2010 11:18:00 AM # 5
Before I installed the processor, I updated my motherboard with the latest bio (1207) as well as the chipset

Ulrich
Level :
Posted:1/19/2010 11:26:00 AM # 6
Hi J..

The last thing to do is to reset the CMOS .. the CLRTC procedure if you didn't do that before... just after the revision.  But if you did that, then the only thing I can think of is, as originally suggested, a processor overheating...  three seconds is about what it takes a modern processor to assert the Thermtrip# register and shutdown the system. 

The heatsink mounting mechanism on an AMD board is pretty foolproof... better that Intel's four poster...  but you might take a close look at that just to be sure everything is right.

Jeet
Level :
Posted:1/19/2010 11:32:00 AM # 7
"The last thing to do is to reset the CMOS .. the CLRTC procedure if you didn't do that before... just after the revision. " that I don't believe I have done. The only thing close to CMOS would be me clearing it. On the Crosshair Motherboard there is a button "Clr CMOS" in red. I've press that a few times as I thought they might help. I m not sure if that is the procedure you are refering to.

Ulrich
Level :
Posted:1/19/2010 11:34:00 AM # 8
Hi J..

That is it...  but you probably want to be sure that the system is unplugged from power, that if you have a broadband modem connected, that it is disconnected, and that you remove the mainboard battery...  then go through the procedure and see if anything changes.

Jeet
Level :
Posted:1/19/2010 11:37:00 AM # 9
Is there a site that I can look at, so that I can follow the procedure? And a side question, the mainboard battery would be the small Lithium button cells? Thanks

Ulrich
Level :
Posted:1/19/2010 11:51:00 AM # 10
Hi J..

There is a list of things to do in your manual... it doesn't include the battery removal but just about everything else.  It is in the 'Jumper' section.

The battery is probably a 3v CR2032 lithium metal round button battery. 

1 2  Next  Last
Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.