SEARCH
ASUS Member ID
Password
Forgot password?
Join member

ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Eee Family > Eee PC 1101HA  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]Atheros AR9285 Wireless Adapter or Driver for XP doesn't support 802.11n New Topic
kwk
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:1/7/2010 3:29:00 AM # 1
I'm very willing the support will pour light on this mistery.
It was just a hell to find a proper XP driver for AR9285. I've tried about a dozen of different versions of the driver including a version from supplied CD, but none of them could made the adapter to connect DLink-855 Router by any a/b/g/n protocol. Finally by a fortune I dicided to look it up among drivers for latest models Eee like 1201X. And only version 7.7.0.377 made the adapter connect to network, but it can connect only by a/b/g protocols. If I turn the router in 11n only mode, adapter doesn't connect.

More detail:
along with any version of drivers adapter sees the network and asks the password but after pretty long timeout can't obtain the connection. With driver version 7.7.0.377 adapter can obtain connection only by a/b/g protocols. How can I make the adapter to work with 11n protocol?!!!!

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
DrZ
Level :
Tech Points : 2133
Posted:1/7/2010 3:44:00 AM # 2

Quote:
Author: kwk Posted: 1/7/2010 3:29:00 AM

I'm very willing the support will pour light on this mistery.
It was just a hell to find a proper XP driver for AR9285. I've tried about a dozen of different versions of the driver including a version from supplied CD, but none of them could made the adapter to connect DLink-855 Router by any a/b/g/n protocol. Finally by a fortune I dicided to look it up among drivers for latest models Eee like 1201X. And only version 7.7.0.377 made the adapter connect to network, but it can connect only by a/b/g protocols. If I turn the router in 11n only mode, adapter doesn't connect.

More detail:
along with any version of drivers adapter sees the network and asks the password but after pretty long timeout can't obtain the connection. With driver version 7.7.0.377 adapter can obtain connection only by a/b/g protocols. How can I make the adapter to work with 11n protocol?!!!!

Verify that your Router isn't sending out N at 5gHz.  Asus supports N but only at 2.4gHz.

Best Regards,
DrZ

Old Guy. EPc 1201N (Win 7, 4gB RAM). Panasonic toughbook with Windoze XP Pro and Suse Linux. Hand built Power machine with Quad core, 16gB memory, 2TB hard drive, Dual 1gB video Cards, Running XpPro and Unix. Research Engineer with close to 40 yrs experience working on and with computers....guess that makes me an old geek and if not a geek.... just cussed old!
Torgyg
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 3
Posted:1/7/2010 10:59:00 AM # 3
I had the very same problem , wireless N with Win7. With XP the best was G.Loks to me as if there is a prpblem with the XP drivers.I restored Win7  so i could use N. I did like the speed that XP runs vs. Win7. But I need wifi N so back to win7  :(

kwk
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:1/9/2010 2:09:00 PM # 4
Quote:
Author: DrZ Posted: 1/7/2010 3:44:00 AM

Verify that your Router isn't sending out N at 5gHz.  Asus supports N but only at 2.4gHz.

Best Regards,
DrZ

Certainly I've already discovered the this adapter doesn't work with 5GHz so I turned off this frequency chanel. I suppose that the adapter doesn't support 11n at all because even Atheros Utility shows me that 11n doesn't present in my wireless network on the adapter.

kwk
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:1/9/2010 2:26:00 PM # 5

Quote:
Author: Torgyg Posted: 1/7/2010 10:59:00 AM

I had the very same problem , wireless N with Win7. With XP the best was G.Loks to me as if there is a prpblem with the XP drivers.I restored Win7  so i could use N. I did like the speed that XP runs vs. Win7. But I need wifi N so back to win7  :(

Do I right understand that Win7 drivers supports 11n but XP drivers doesn't?

I hate cheap stuff like Win7 and for me it is impossible to use it. Moreover this netbook is being sold with generic XP.

If things go this way I will demand explanation from ASUS why they supply netbook generic XP OS with driver that wittingly doesn't support 11n.

kwk
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:1/11/2010 4:30:00 PM # 6
Today I had a call to ASUS Support and they totally amazed me. They said that this adapted has two modifications - one with support 11n and one without. And of course my one turned out without support 11n. It looks and sounds like a CUSTOMER CHEATING.

There is no way to know whether your adapter supports 11n or not during the buying - EXCELLENT MARKETING DRIVE!!!

Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.