Join member

ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Graphic Card > EAH4850 Series  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Sharing]EAH4850 now silent and stable New Topic
jorgensen
Level :
Tech Points : 47
Posted:1/2/2010 6:46:00 PM # 1

Have done a lot of modding on the Asus EAH4850 graphic card to lower the fan noise and make it stable at high loads. But still the memory blocks became extremely hot at max load, if not the fan was running at full speed and sounded like a jet engine.

Finely I decided to replace the cooler with Artic Cooling Accelero Twin Turbo which included heat sinks for the memory blocks.

Now the GPU is running at 35 degree in normal mode and 45 at max load, the memory blocks only gets somewhat hot at max load and the fan noise is as low as it can get. Have only changed the memory clock to 800MHz in idle mode, as there is no reason to have them running at max when idling.

However, changing to the Artic Cooler is not an easy task and it took more than an hour. The cable connector does not match the card connector, so both cables had to be cut and soldered together. Also the graphic card now takes up 3 slots.

Anyway, I have changed the card with the new Radeon 5770 from Sapphire which runs cold and silent in normal mode, but does get somewhat noisy and hot at max load.

The Asus 4850 has instead been moved to a video editing computer that is to be noiseless, and here it runs perfect with the new cooling system.

With this experience in mind, I believe it will take some time before I buy an Asus card again.

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
louiscar
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 3
Posted:3/27/2010 5:39:00 PM # 2

After my experience with Motherboards and graphic cards from Asus I doubt I'll ever buy Asus again. Their tech support stinks and their software is shoddy.

Sad because they used to have a good reputation. Back to Gigabyte for me

dafuchse
Level :
Tech Points : 2
Posted:3/28/2010 12:06:00 PM # 3

Quote:
Author: louiscar Posted: 3/27/2010 5:39:00 PM

After my experience with Motherboards and graphic cards from Asus I doubt I'll ever buy Asus again. Their tech support stinks and their software is shoddy.

Sad because they used to have a good reputation. Back to Gigabyte for me

sign

i also think so

MTV
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 10
Posted:3/16/2011 10:29:00 AM # 4
This thread is listed in the Elite Posts.
To all Asus 4850 users, i have found a solution to my 4850 heat problem. In the past, my card was very hot (ide ~ 55 C, fan 55% ; full load ~  80C, fan 85%) and unbearable loud.
My solution was to use a custom bios from techpowerup.com:

http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/40456/Asus.HD4850.512.090219.html

Now my vga temperature is Ide~40
C, fan 28% (very quiet :D), fl 68 C, fan 41%. I've been using that bios for 1 month straight without any problem. I've played Bulletstorm, Call of duty MW2, Dawn of war Retribution, Batman Akham,.. flawlessly. Just want to share that with you. :D

Here's a guide to flash your bios to a new one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFR7OTYu4zQ

bigirl
Level :
Tech Points : 0
Posted:8/15/2011 11:01:00 AM # 5

Now my vga is Ide~40 C, fan 29% (very quiet :D), fl 68 C. I've been using that bios for 1 month and happy , straight without any problem. I've played Bulletstorm, Call of duty MW2, Dawn of war Retribution, Batman Akham,.. flawlessly. Just want to share that with you.

phan mem seo,phan mem seo,phan mem seo,phan mem seo,phan mem dang tin

Matt
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:11/13/2011 6:52:00 AM # 6
The EAH4850s that I bought are the worst products I have ever owned. They idled at 90C on my desktop and went up to 120C with 100% fan-speed in games playing at medium settings. My computer would frequently shut down because of the heat issues, and I would get graphical artifacts due to head problems. I will never buy an ATI/ASUS product ever again. They caused me headache and wasted time for years. This product wasn't just bad, it was an ABOMINATION. I finally upgraded and the nightmare is finally over!!! Don't buy from ASUS!!!

Bong
Level :
Tech Points : 5085
Posted:11/13/2011 8:26:00 AM # 7
If you follow the instruction here to flash the 4850 bios your problem will be solve

Z77 3770K Kingston HyperX 1600 @ 7-7-7-20 ATI HD 7870
Matt
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:11/15/2011 1:58:00 PM # 8
@Bong, I think you may be referring to a solution that addresses a superior model of the 4850s I purchased from ASUS. My brother bought the same ones and complained to ASUS and they refurbished them with 2x larger heatsinks/fans. Too bad I didn't find out about that until recently, otherwise I would have done the same thing. The heatsinks/fans on the 4850s I had were TINY. I mean it, they were as small as the heatsinks on my old Geforce 2 GTS card I had 12 years ago. I'm fairly certain that without underclocking them A LOT, the problem would still exist - unless that's what flashing bios is supposed to do. In that case, I wouldn't be getting what I paid for anyways, so no thanks... Before I threw them in the garbage, my cards were running at 82C idle on the desktop at 100% fan speed. Are you sure you know what you're talking about Bong? Did your temps really get that high? I have never talked to a single person that can even come close to that temp AT IDLE, AT 100% fan speed using RivaTuner. No one in this thread is even close to my temps. I think they have the larger heatsink/fan and THEY ARE STILL OVERHEATING!!! I would have killed for 80C under full load at only 85% fan speed like MTV was getting. ARE YOU KIDDING? Mine were at 120C-130C under full load at 100% fan speed. Are you processing that?! Anyways, I have an EVGA NVidia card now, and it turns out they actually make quality products, instead of completely ripping me off like ASUS. ASUS stole my money, plain and simple. I will NEVER trust ASUS again, and I'll be wary of ATI as well.

Bong
Level :
Tech Points : 5085
Posted:11/16/2011 6:31:00 AM # 9

Quote:
Author: Matt Posted: 11/15/2011 1:58:00 PM

@Bong, I think you may be referring to a solution that addresses a superior model of the 4850s I purchased from ASUS. My brother bought the same ones and complained to ASUS and they refurbished them with 2x larger heatsinks/fans. Too bad I didn't find out about that until recently, otherwise I would have done the same thing. The heatsinks/fans on the 4850s I had were TINY. I mean it, they were as small as the heatsinks on my old Geforce 2 GTS card I had 12 years ago. I'm fairly certain that without underclocking them A LOT, the problem would still exist - unless that's what flashing bios is supposed to do. In that case, I wouldn't be getting what I paid for anyways, so no thanks... Before I threw them in the garbage, my cards were running at 82C idle on the desktop at 100% fan speed. Are you sure you know what you're talking about Bong? Did your temps really get that high? I have never talked to a single person that can even come close to that temp AT IDLE, AT 100% fan speed using RivaTuner. No one in this thread is even close to my temps. I think they have the larger heatsink/fan and THEY ARE STILL OVERHEATING!!! I would have killed for 80C under full load at only 85% fan speed like MTV was getting. ARE YOU KIDDING? Mine were at 120C-130C under full load at 100% fan speed. Are you processing that?! Anyways, I have an EVGA NVidia card now, and it turns out they actually make quality products, instead of completely ripping me off like ASUS. ASUS stole my money, plain and simple. I will NEVER trust ASUS again, and I'll be wary of ATI as well.

This is the first generation 4850. All brands are look all the same.
I have two 4850 one made by Asus and one made by His. They are both 80C on idle.
Yes i flash flash the bios using the mBios and the problem went away now my idle is 50C @ 40% fan speed. BTW: I am using after burner to control the fan speed

This is my 4850

http://www.techspot.com/review/103-asus-radeon-4850/

Z77 3770K Kingston HyperX 1600 @ 7-7-7-20 ATI HD 7870
MaRiLyN
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 0
Posted:1/21/2012 3:31:00 AM # 10
Thank you very much.

1 2  Next  Last
:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.