ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Notebook > N51Vn  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Feedback and Suggestion]Battery Plugged in/ Not Charging New Topic
villa
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 0
Posted:12/31/2009 12:20:00 AM # 1
 Hello! I purchased a n51vn about a month and half ago and not my battery won't charge.  It says battery plugged in/ not charging.  Any help in this will be greatly appreciated!

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Faust
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 13
Posted:1/1/2010 5:07:00 AM # 2
I think I some good news for you. I just got a UL50Ag, and was seeing the same thing. My battery is brand new, and I was also seeing the "plugged in/not charging" message. I sort of forgot about it, but later when I was meandering around my new PC and found the eManual (users manual .pdf), I found out that the batter does not charge if it is at 95% charge or higher. From what I understand, this is a bettery life extending technique used by a standard Windows laptop battery software. Apparently, it is better for the battery if it is not constantly charged, so the software will only charge the battery when it gets below 95%. There are also some other features to this software that are explained in the emanual. I just ran the command "emanual" and the pdf popped up, so try running that command if you would like to read about it. My UL50 has an LED light for the battery, and I learned that, if the computer is plugged in and the light is orange, it means that the battery is below 95% and is charging, but if the light is green, it means that the battery is not charging.

McGhee
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:1/3/2010 5:17:00 AM # 3
Thank-you Faust.  I googled "plugged in, not charging and got hundreds of threads with all kinds of horror stories.  Then I added Asus to the search and found this thread...not only did you answer the battery charging question, but just as important, you pointed me to the eMaual.  Now, I'm surprized that Asus doesn't provide a desktop shortcut to the eManual in their original load.  Again, thanks.

Smolka
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 2
Posted:1/3/2010 9:13:00 AM # 4
I just posted the same problem for a G72GX.  My brand new notebook will not power on without the A/C power supply.  After three days in a row of following the recommended trouble shooting procedures (to reset motherboard and charge battery) my G72 will not charge the battery, when I power on with the A/C power supply I still have the "0% available, plugged in but not charging" battery indication, and the notebook shuts down if I unplug the A/C power supply.  During the battery trouble shooting procedures I will get a momentary (approx 1 second) orange LED Battery indication on the front of the console.

Barniskis
Level :
Posted:2/4/2010 5:18:00 AM # 5
I think there is a major issue with the N51 battery, charger and/or the jack where the charger plugs in. I have RMA'd my notebook (which is only a few of months old and has been pampered) because of these charging issues. Now Asus has had my computer for 22 days and is still "awaiting parts"! WHY are there no parts on hand? This is brand new! I cannot even write the company because if they post an address anywhere it's so deeply hidden in their unbelievably BAD website. Calling in gets me nothing--not even an address. I didn't want to vent my irritation on the poor customer service rep, so I gave up trying to make her understand that I wanted to write a nasty letter to the head of the company! I bought Asus because of their vaunted customer satisfaction (http://www.engadget.com/2009/11/17/laptop-reliability-survey-asus-and-toshiba-win-hp-fails/) but I feel like I've been had. I'll be telling every computer user I meet from here on out about how lousy Asus is.
Quote:
Author: Smolka Posted: 1/3/2010 9:13:00 AM

I just posted the same problem for a G72GX.  My brand new notebook will not power on without the A/C power supply.  After three days in a row of following the recommended trouble shooting procedures (to reset motherboard and charge battery) my G72 will not charge the battery, when I power on with the A/C power supply I still have the "0% available, plugged in but not charging" battery indication, and the notebook shuts down if I unplug the A/C power supply.  During the battery trouble shooting procedures I will get a momentary (approx 1 second) orange LED Battery indication on the front of the console.

HavocBR
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 2
Posted:7/15/2010 12:35:00 PM # 6
Hey, I recently bought a G51jx-X5 (=A1) and noticed this annoying battery charging behavior. Then I googled a lot and got very different kinds of diagnotics. I did not get a satsfactory response. Well, I simply tried the product manuals and read the following :

"The battery starts charging when the charge remaining  in the battery drops below 95%. This prevents the battery from charging frequently. Minimizing the recharge cycles helps prolong battery life."

So we don't need to concerned about that, gracefully!!!

Hope this helps!

Cheers!!!

HavocBR Asus G51jx-X5
snakester2954
Level :
Posted:6/28/2014 1:41:00 PM # 7
I know this post is old but I just started having this problem with mine and was wondering if you ever solved it and how.

Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: MCZ New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.