Join member

ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Eee Family > Eee PC 900HA/XP  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Sharing]Overclocking the EPc New Topic
DrZ
Level :
Tech Points : 2133
Posted:12/29/2009 11:10:00 PM # 1
Both as a user and a moderator at the EPc forum.... I have heard people complain about the speed of the single processor netbooks.  I have spent the past 30 days working on a way to overclock this machine.  Since the N270/N280 units really don't support overclocking... I have approached this by speeding up the front side bus.  Currently my 900ha running Win 7 is running at 1.9GHz as opposed to the 1.6GHz as per specifications.

Prior to using this technique, please keep in mind...you are doing this at your own risk.  Asus will not repair your machine if you kill it and I will not be able to assist in bringing it back to life if you burn it up. Also, since I only own a 900ha, I cannot step you through any other units.  You will have to try various configurations and see if they work.  The final statement is that you will have to start up the software each time you reboot your machine since I have not figured out how to get this to start up automatically. 

So... with all this in mind.... here is THE PROCEDURE.

First... go to the following links and download and install the setfsb and speedfan software.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Benchmarks/SetFSB.shtml
http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Info/SpeedFan.shtml

I recommend running speedfan first.  When it runs.... it will find your fan controller and your CPU temp sensor.  Strangely enough... it will also say you have two processors... which you do not.  I set mine to automatic fan speed and then minimize.

Next, run setfsb.  I found the clock generator of  ICS9LPR427AGLF works for my machine.  I then checked the ultra box.  Then click on get fsb.  This will show you the current fsb settings which in my case was 71/760 at 1675.9 MHz in Super Performance Mode, 1596.1 MHz in Auto Performance..  You will also see two numbers in Yellow (on my machine anyway).  This is where you will control your Front Side Bus (fsb).  I modified mine to 125/760 and pressed the setfsb button.  This speeds up my machine to 1944.5 MHz and seems to be stable.  I have been as high as 1969.6 MHz(130/760) but the system starts to heat up and gets a bit astable.  I have tried 133/760 which gives me 1984.5 MHz but my system crashed.  Keep an eye on the temp icon on your taskbar... I don't recommend letting it run hotter than 55 degrees C for any extended period of time.

Like I said...I am currently running Win 7 ultimate but I don't believe your OS will make much of a difference.  Again, you will need to run both speedfan and setfsb everytime you restart your machine and I don't recommend using the higher speed unless needed.  No reason to take chances on killing your machine. 

This is the process... and I would like to hear back from others who have successfully installed this speed up process. 

If you attempt to set your fsb too fast... your screen will go to some strange color and you will have to hold down your power button until the machine shuts down.  When you restart, you will be back to normal settings.

Again... you do this at your own risk!
Best Regards,
DrZ

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Old Guy. EPc 1201N (Win 7, 4gB RAM). Panasonic toughbook with Windoze XP Pro and Suse Linux. Hand built Power machine with Quad core, 16gB memory, 2TB hard drive, Dual 1gB video Cards, Running XpPro and Unix. Research Engineer with close to 40 yrs experience working on and with computers....guess that makes me an old geek and if not a geek.... just cussed old!
Nono
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 5
Posted:1/15/2010 6:21:00 PM # 2
Thanks DrZ,

do you know witch clock generator to choose,   ICS9LPR427AGLF make a chipset error  :(

DrZ
Level :
Posted:1/16/2010 4:27:00 AM # 3
Nono,
Do you have the 900ha?  I had no issue whatsoever with it.

Best Regards,
DrZ

Old Guy. EPc 1201N (Win 7, 4gB RAM). Panasonic toughbook with Windoze XP Pro and Suse Linux. Hand built Power machine with Quad core, 16gB memory, 2TB hard drive, Dual 1gB video Cards, Running XpPro and Unix. Research Engineer with close to 40 yrs experience working on and with computers....guess that makes me an old geek and if not a geek.... just cussed old!
Nono
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:1/16/2010 4:35:00 AM # 4
Sorry, I forgot my model it's 1201N

thanks

DrZ
Level :
Posted:1/16/2010 5:08:00 AM # 5

Quote:
Author: Nono Posted: 1/16/2010 4:35:00 AM

Sorry, I forgot my model it's 1201N

thanks

Nono,
I got the answers for mine through trial and error.  I don't own a 1210n (yet) and can't really help because I don't know which clock generator is being used.  You can either do like I did and go through them one by one OR.... see if some of the available software like CPU-Z might give you some information concerning your clock gen.  You might want to go to http://www13.plala.or.jp/setfsb/ to see if it helps at all.

Sorry.
Best Regards,
DrZ

Nono
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:1/18/2010 3:30:00 AM # 6
CPU-Z don't give me more information, I'have already been  on http://www13.plala.or.jp/setfsb/  without succes...

thanks anyway

Knapp
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:2/10/2010 2:10:00 AM # 7
If you do not know what your ICS number is you will need to take apart the machine itself to find it on the motherboard. I am in the process of doing this very thing for my EB1501 ... with little to no success thus far.

As soon as you know what your ICS number is you can email the guy that programs SetFSB and he will add it to the list.

Chambers
Level :
Tech Points : 0
Posted:3/15/2012 5:23:00 PM # 8
I know this thread is old, but I wanted to add some information. It's a relevant thread since it's the first result for "overclocking eeepc 1005peg" on google.

I just want to report that the clock generator selection the thread started used of "ICS9LPR427AGLF" also works on my model 1005PEG. I can get similar, but slightly better results to that of the thread starter.

I can bump this netbook up to just under 2.1 GHz and it remains quite stable, even will a 100% load on the CPU after 20 minutes. The CPU temperature rises to a max of 59 celcius.

Even though it runs fine, I decided I'd rather not have the CPU's temp that high. In a desktop that would be no problem, but these netbook motherboards weren't designed for that kind of CPU temperature so I am playing it safe.

I would not go very far above 1.9 GHz even if it runs well. In fact, I will be keeping it at the stock 1.6 GHz unless I'm doing something that demands more processing power or I am running off of wall power.

http://rubbermallet.org/eeepc-overclock.png

:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: HHC New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.