ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Notebook > UL50A  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]ELAN V2.2 software New Topic
contrast
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 2
Posted:12/14/2009 11:28:00 AM # 1
I want to make the most of my multi touch / gesture touch pad on my UL50A.  I saw that on ELAN's website that they show gestures using three fingers (beyond just tapping) as well as detecting when you are near the edges.

I noticed that I have version 2.2 of the ELAN Smart-Pad listed in the mouse properties screen, at first I assumed this was the utility version, not a hardware specific revision of the product.  You can see in one of the screen shots on this page:

http://www.emc.com.tw/eng/st_tpn_sp.asp

that they are showing version 7.4.  I updated my drivers to the latest (7.0.5.0.7) but it still shows V2.2 when I go to the mouse properties screen.  ELAN says nothing about subversions of Smart-Pad.

So do I simply have an old hardware version of the Smart-Pad or is this a software issue that can be updated?  If it's software, where do I find this utility as the only download I could find was the driver that I got from Asus and installed.  If this is a hardware limitation that would be quite disappointing, as I bought this notebook just over a month ago.

I have Windows 7 (64 bit)

Thanks for any help.

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Willy
Level :
Tech Points : 3969
Posted:12/14/2009 11:50:00 AM # 2

Try to update Elantech Touchpad Driver to the latest version V7.0.5.9

http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=Touchpad

Good luck!!

contrast
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:12/15/2009 9:38:00 PM # 3
I updated the driver to V7.0.5.9 but there is no change.

When I go to the mouse properties, click on the ELAN tab, it shows Driver Version: ETDWare PS/2-x64 7.0.5.9_WHQL
also under device it lists:
Elan Smart-Pad (V2.2)
port is PS/2 and it is Enabled.

When I go to Options the open file security warning comes up the first time asking if I want to run C:Windows\Sytem32\ETDUI.cpl.  When I click open it brings me to the control screen that I have mentioned before, I see no way of adjusting settings for a three finger swipe, pinch, rotate, etc.  I have listed on the side:
Copyright, Button, Tapping, Scrolling, Drag and Drop, and Palm Tracking

I then went back to the mouse properties, the hardware tab, clicked on properties, then the driver tab, then the driver details button, here is what I saw:

ETDApi.dll - version 3.2.0.0
ETDApi32.dll - version 3.2.0.0
ETDApix.dll - version 7.0.6.1
ETDCmds.dll - version 7.0.6.0
ETDCtrl.exe - version 8.0.0.0
ETDFavorite.dll - version 7.0.6.0
ETDMag.exe - version 7.0.5.0
ETDMcpl.dll - version 8.0.0.0
ETDUninst.dll - version 8.0.0.0
ETDUninst.exe - version 8.0.0.0
ETD.sys - version 7.0.5.8
i8042prt.sys - version 6.1.7600.16385
mouclass.sys - version 6.1.7600.16385
ETDUI.cpl - version 8.0.0.0

If you notice the last one is the program that gets started up when I try to modify the properties of the smart pad.  It says it's version 8.  I don't know where the V2.2 comes from, it's obviously not one of these drivers.  That is what makes me think it may be a hardware limitation, I certainly hope not.  To get new hardware that is at least 5 versions old would be very disappointing.

What should I do from here?

Does anyone else have this laptop and are you able to use and customize features like three finger swipe, rotate, and zoom?

G
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:12/16/2009 9:53:00 PM # 4
I am thinking that this is a hardware version.  I just bought a UL80AG laptop and it seems to have the same limitations.  Not only is the hardware version 2.2, but the latest software version is 7.0.5.7_WHQL on the website.
I also have to say that the touchpad is disappointing.  It just plain doesn't work like it should.  I intend to review this on AMAZON.

Ben
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:12/19/2009 9:18:00 AM # 5
Same here - no luck getting any of the really cool multi-touch features to work.  There's a similar thread in the UL50AG forum.  If the hardware can detect multiple touches, surely it's only a software matter to interpret swipes, pinches, etc!

kukubau
Level :
Tech Points : 4
Posted:1/14/2010 12:58:00 AM # 6
Hi people

I'll write here as to not open another thread.

I installed 7.0.5.7 Elantech touchpad drivers and don't know how to use the zoom function or it doesn't work. Will there be a change after installing 7.0.5.9 drivers?

And what is with the My Favorites setting? I have an IE shortcut. What's with that? Can I use some combination of touchpad +keys to launch IE?

Where is the documentation ?!??!

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Toto
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:2/12/2010 7:23:00 PM # 7
Did you manage to get it to work? I wanted to do the same but couldn't find another driver anywhere.

CJ
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:2/20/2010 12:10:00 AM # 8
Bump. I have a UL80AG also, and would like to know if someone managed to install any higher version of SmartPad software. My touchpad driver is v7.0.5.9.But the smartpad app doesn't seem to come with the install --- it's still showing V2.2. Thanks.

cp
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:3/6/2010 8:55:00 AM # 9
are other people having issues with the touchpad cutting out while moving the cursor and clicking on everything while moving the cursor? i had to disable tap-clicking in order to get anything done; trying to update the computer and set my preferences after receiving it today was almost impossible as windows kept opening multiple times as i moused over them. i've found i have to use the pad of my finger instead of the fingertip and press down pretty hard in order to get the cursor to move consistently. i've updated the drivers but continue to have this problem, and i've read similar complaints online but not to this extent. could it be a hardware issue?

Joss
Level :
Posted:4/30/2010 7:41:00 PM # 10
Hey there! Just bought an Asus UL30VT and was looking for pinch zooming and other multi touch gestures. Could not find any option in the ElanTech smartpad configuration software either. After some searching on ElanTech's website I've come across this page that makes me think there might be a hardware limitation on the most recent laptops Asus released... http://www.emc.com.tw/eng/ap02_01_04_01_tps.asp If you scroll down at the very bottom of the page you'll see a 2 row matrix that shows differences between ElanTech touchpads. I'm afraid the one we got is a what they call a scrolling-pad and not a smart-pad though the name of the software might be smart-pad for the two hardware implementations. This is my own little theory and could be totally wrong... Joss.

1 2  Next  Last
Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: MCZ New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.