SEARCH
ASUS Member ID
Password
Forgot password?
Join member

ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Motherboard > P6T Deluxe V2  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]p6TV2DELUXE - NEW BUILD - POST reporting "no hard disk is detected New Topic
Jim
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:12/8/2009 9:19:00 AM # 1

I built a new system this weekend based on ASUS P6T V2 Deluxe and Core I7.  My question regards how to configure two installed harddrives.  POST is reporting "no hard disk is detected.".

My config is:
Processor: Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz LGA 1366
Motherboard: ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX
RAM: CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB)  DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Case: COOLER MASTER HAF 922 Black Steel ATX Full       
Power Supply: Coolermaster 750W 1 SLI  CrossFire Ready Active 
CPU Cooler: COOLER MASTER Intel Core i7 V8  120mm Rifle 
Harddrives: WD Caviar Black  640GB 7200 SATA 3.0Gb/s (qty:2) 
Video Card: VGA SAPPHIRE| HD5870 1G RT
Keyboard - Microsoft Comfort Curve Keyboard 2000          
SOund Card:  Internal to motherboard
Speakers: Logitech S-220 17 Watts 2.1 Multimedia Speaker 
CD/DVD Burner: PLEXTOR Black 24X DVD+R  SATA 24X DVD/CD Writer

I have the two WD Drives installed in SATA1 and Sata2 connectors. The Plextor cd/dvd in in SATA3.

The BIOS sees them both. In BIOS, Main tab - SATA is configured [Enhanced]; Configure SATA as [IDE] is the default but the options are RIAD and AHCI.
In [b]BIOS, BOOT Tab  - Boot device priority [SATA WDC harddrive];[/b]
interesting a comment on the right side of the BIOS screen says "A device enclsoed in Parenthesis has been disabled in the corresponding type menu."

Under Hard Disk Drives, 1st HD lists  SATA WDC; 2nd HD lists SATA WDC.

I did run the ASUS driver disk which ran some utilities but hung up trying to create a floppy disk Intel HD Boot disk in drive A:  I don't have a floppy in this system.
I did not set any jumper settings on the two SATA drives, do I need to?  I recall needing to set jumpers on EIDE drives when installing them.

What do I need to do to configure these drives properly?

------
Update
------
Last night I used Cute Partition Manager to delete two partitions and create one large NTFS partition on both drives. I used a WIN XP Boot disk to format both disks as NTFS.
I am told by PCMECH.com today to disconnect one drive, wipe the drive using WDC utility and attempt to reinstall the WIN7 installation.  Then later connect the 2nd drive.  I was told to disable MARVEL HD controller in BIOS but I don;t know how to do that (haven;t found that option).
I see IDE, AHCI, RAID options in BIOS but I don;t know which is better.  I thought I'd like to use RAID0.

All help is appreciated?

--------------
more
--------------

I've disconnected drive2 and rebooted in to BIOS.
Selected AHCI under Main, Storage Configuration instead of IDE.
New option appears "AHCI Configuration" and when selected it reports AHCI Settings as"
SATA Port1 through Port6  {Not Detected}

--------------
EVEN more updates
--------------

A couple reboots and disable/enable the MARVEL Storage controller and rebooting and now the SATA1 ports, SATA3 ports are detcted as Harddrive and Plextor CDROM , respectively.

But still the POST is reporting "no hard disk is detected.".

----------------------
ASUS Tech Support suggested downloading ne wdrivers from the site:

Please check your HDD , stata cable and the sata port is OK.
If you are using the HDD in AHCI mode, you will need to load the driver before install the OS.
http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?model=P6T%20Deluxe%20V2&f_name=IMSM_V8901023.zip&f_type=25&os=29

Download the driver and extract it to the usb flash disk and load it during install the OS.
------------------------
Drivers loaded from Flash drive and it appears may be detecting the harddrive and cdrom in the POST, but the MARVEL Storage BIOS load still reports "Adapter 1: NO hard disks detected."

WIN7 has loaded so it apparently finds and accesses the disk.

------------------------
the AH-HAHHHHHH moment ...
------------------------
I was able to laod WIN7 successfully and took time to begin updating all the drivers I could think of.

I woke up this morning with an AH-HAHHHH moment.

I don't know WHERE the MARVEL Drive connections are on this board.  My SATA drives and Sata CD-rom are plugged into the INTEL SATA connectors. And they are working.

So ..... the Marvel Storage Interface in the BIOS may be reporting exactly correctly ---- there is no disk connected to it  -- hence "ADAPTER 1: no disk detected message" during boot.

If this is correct, what a rabbit hole I put myself through.  

And the SATA interface may be just new/screwy enough that it is not read properly in the DOS and WIndow Emergency Boot tool site utilities out there.   My impression from reading some sites is that SATA is now what SCSI was a few years - an new oddball interface, not fully natively supported.

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: Ulrich New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.