Password
Forgot password?
Join member

ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Notebook > G72GX  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]G72Gx Trackpad Issues New Topic

Tech Points : 5
Posted:12/2/2009 5:15:00 AM # 1
Switching to my new G72Gx from a Dell e1705 and I'm having major usability issues with the trackpad on this thing.. I'm half tempted to return it and go with the hp i7 I was lookin at. I've tried messing with all the settings/sensitivities/etc, turning off all the extra gestures and so forth so it's just a simple pointer moving device. Still having problems. The biggest issue I have is while I'm tracking around the pointer just stops at random spots. It stays locked up for a brief random moment. About a second is the longest it's gone. Maybe it's somehow thinking that another finger is touching it too. Is it possible to install an older version of the synaptics driver that doesn't have the 2 and 3 finger gestures built into it? Another issue is that the pad itself is just too big. I'm constantly touching it by accident just resting my wrists on the area to the left and right of the trackpad. Is there sny way to create a dead zone around the edges of the trackpad to basically make it smaller? I dunno who designed the trackpad on this laptop, but it's horrible. Everything about it is wrong. It's flush and impossible to find the edges on to scroll. The single button is hard to tell if you're gonna click left or right on. The texture is like sandpaper and the shiny plastic grabs your finger like flypaper. Such a shame cuz it's a nice laptop otherwise. (whats wrong with the forums? it just ran every line together instead of paying attention to line feeds where I've pressed enter?)

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Matthew
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:12/3/2009 12:33:00 AM # 2
When I first got this laptop, I also was surprised at all the things I could do without realizing it.  One time I made the Internet Explorer windows at 200% just trying to scroll down the page.. In the trackpad settings, I turned off everything but the scrolling and it's a lot more manageable now.  I don't use gestures, or three fingers or any of that stuff.  Just give me a mouse with three buttons and I'm happy..     Try turning off all the options in the trackpad.

Posted:12/3/2009 10:12:00 AM # 3
I just uninstalled the synaptics drivers all together. Which basically just makes windows think it's a ps/2 mouse with scroll wheel. Scrolling on the right edge still scrolls windows up/down. I still seem to be having a few issues with it locking up for a second but it seems to be less. Unfortunately, without the synaptics drivers installed, the pointer moves a lot less/slower even with the sensitivity cranked all the way up.

Huntley
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 4
Posted:12/3/2009 11:38:00 PM # 4
I couldn't have put it better myself!

I'm sure you've found this by now... You can adjust the "Palm Check" function to establish a dead area around the periphery of the trackpad.  Go to Synaptics settings, Ponting, Sensitivity, Palm Check.

Did you ever resolve the tracking pointer issue?  Mine is infuriating and I'm not quite willing to uninstall Sunaptics for just that.

Posted:12/11/2009 12:30:00 AM # 5
I'm pretty convinced there's either some kind of fault, or a really dumb design flaw. It's as if the trackpad is seeing 2 touches at once sometimes. Like if I touch it, the plastic case over the top of the touchpad is also touching it elsewhere. I went to an old version of the synaptics drivers that dont support multi touch/gestures and it got a little better, but it still locks up every now and then. I have to not touch anything for a half second then go back to using it. Really annooying.. Combine that with the widely reported keyboard issue of double keystrokes while typing and I'm really not happy with this $1300 laptop. I feel like I'm beta testing for asus. Unfortunately, I'm pretty much stuck with it. I can't send it out to be repaired if that's what it needs as this is my only machine either.

Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: MCZ New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.