ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Motherboard > A7N8X-E Deluxe  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]SM Bus Controller New Topic
Jon
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:12/2/2009 12:11:00 AM # 1
I'm hoping that someone can help, because I've really botched up my computer now trying to fix it myself and I made it worse.

I was having problems with games freezing on me after updating some hardware in my system.  Unfortunately, I  added in new dual channel memory and a new BFG GeForce 7600GS Video Card to my system at the same time and re-installed my OS on to two new SATA 500Gb drives using the on board Silicon SiI 3112 SATARaid Controller using a Raid 1 Mirrored Set.  So, it's been difficult to pin down the cause of the problem but have been assuming that it's a driver-related issue with the new GeForce 7600GS card.

I originally had all of the chipset drivers installed and functioning when I installed the OS (Windows XP Home) so that wasn't an issue until now.  From finding information off of this site and others via Google, I tried a few different things people suggested to others having similar issues.

The latest was downloading and installing the nForce 5.10 Unified Drivers and that is where I think I majorly botched things up.  I also lost the drivers to the Creative Labs Live! 5.1 PCI card I had installed also with is a future issue to deal with.

Main problem now is just getting the chipset and video drivers back in order before I proceed and my last process was to remove all of the nVidia Drivers from Add/Remove Programs and reboot.  Then went in to Device Manager and "uninstalled" the components that were having problems so they could be detected and added properly on a reboot.  I pointed the driver installation to the original nForce WHQL Drivers 2.64 from this website which I had previously working without any problems, but the driver for "SM Bus Controller" will not install properly when I point the driver install to use the "NVIDIA nForce PCI System Management Controller" found in the SMBus Sub Directory.  The System reports "Cannot install this Hardware" and says "The driver installation file for this device is missing a necessary entry.  This may be because the INF was written for Windows 95 or later.  Contact your hardware vendor."  and remains with a yellow exclamation point in Device Manager.

I've removed all cards from the system but the AGP Graphics card and enabled the on-board Sound but all of these components also have the yellow exclamation point by them and the nForce 2.64 Audio drivers do not seem to want to stick here either.

Any help is greatly appreciated...  I don't want to have to re-format and re-install if I don't have to, but understand that this might not be reversible as I have already tried using a system restore option to roll back to a previous date where I knew everything was working properly, but this is where I am after that roll-back.

Asus A7n8X-E Deluxe
AMD XP 2800+
Kingston Hyper 2Gb PC3200 Memory Kit (Dual Channel)
BFG Tech 1000Watt Power Supply
BFG Tech GeForce 7600GS AGP 512Mb

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 3684
Posted:12/2/2009 8:43:00 AM # 2
Try Driver Cleaner.  Just follow the instructions and clean all of the drivers you're having problems with, chipset, video, etc.  If your nForce driver package includes the nForce Network Access Manager and you don't use it, don't install it.

1. Install Driver Cleaner.
2. Uninstall current drivers (add & remove programs).
3. Go to the Windows device manager and make sure the driver is gone, if it is still there,  right-click on it and uninstall.
4. Reboot the computer into Safe Mode.  If Windows try to re-install the driver, select cancel.
5. Run Driver Cleaner and select the driver you want to remove from the drop down menu, proceed with cleaning.
6. Empty the recycle bin and boot back into normal Windows, install drivers.

Driver Cleaner

Jon
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:12/3/2009 1:26:00 AM # 3
Drive Cleaner was no longer available from the link you provided, but I was able to download and install Drive Sweeper instead which I believe successfully removed all of the references and old nvidia and creative driver files.

After following your instructions verbatim, SM Bus Controller still would not install and would give me the same message as provided in my original post.  I won't go through all of the specific details on what I have tried thus far, but my system is still in a pretty unstable state and I have only installed the nForce drivers which were available on this ASUS website for my particular motherboard.  I am fearful that the nForce 5.10 Unified drivers from nVidia may not be a wise choice so I have avoided trying to apply them thus far.  However, there is a SM Bus Controller driver included, but I know that in my previous attempts, I had been unsuccessful with that.

What I was able to discover was an "Unknown Device" that somehow successfully installed (no yellow !) itself under the System Devices section of Device Manager.  In examining the resource and driver, I found that this Unknown Device was SystemRoot\drivers\pci.sys and the details showed it was version 5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111) from Microsoft.  Checking the resources tab revealed that there is a Conflicting device:
I/O Range 0000-0CF7 used by ACPI Uniprocessor PC
I/O Range 0D00-FFFF not available
and both have red conflicts, but I am not able to set or change these resources manually.  In looking at ACPI Uniprocessor PC, driver details reveal version 5.1.2600.0 but there is no resources tab available.

In checking Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System under the System Devices section of Device manager, it shows the installed driver is version 5.1.2535.0 but in checking the file details, ACPI.sys is version 5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111) which seems like it would be correct.

I checked BIOS settings and show ACPI Suspend is Disabled and Resources are controlled by Auto(ESCD).

Before I continue to muck around and try various things, I thought I would stop here to update you in case any of this could provide you with some insight as to what might be causing the problem.

After the first attempt at following your instructions was unsuccessful, I removed more than just the nVidia driver components from Device Manager in the System Devices section of Device Manager thinking that perhaps something there was installed incorrectly that was preventing the SM Bus Controller from installing successfully.

Currently, the drivers that installed correctly are active and working (including the on Board Audio which is a first!) but there are still 10 - Unknowns, PCI to ISA Bridge, PCI to PCI Bridge, PCI HOST Bridge, 5 - PCI Memory, and Video Controller showing up with yellow ? and !under the Other Devices Tab in Device Manager.  There are just two devices in other areas with yellow! which is the HID UPS Battery under the Batteries section and the SM Bus Controller under the System Devices section.

Many thanks for your assistance in this...

Jon
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:12/3/2009 11:41:00 AM # 4
After rebooting after that post, I see that all of the nVidia Audio drivers now are reporting the yellow ! indicating there is a problem with them.

If I were to point the driver installation wizard to search the nForce 5.10 directory instead of installing the nForce 5.10 drivers using the Setup.exe the last time I tried using them, would this make a difference and perhaps get SM Bus Controller working properly so I could then install the ASUS nVidia Drivers provided on this site for all of the additional components that might be detected successfully after the SM Bus Controller is installed and working properly?

VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 3684
Posted:12/3/2009 12:32:00 PM # 5
If you are still having problems, try Driver Clearer.  Follow the same instructions, uninstall all nVidia drivers, display & chipset.  There is an option in the drop down menu for both.

New LINK

ACPI.   Download the latest version of the ASUS Probe but don't install it.  Extract the archive and look inside the directory.  There you find the "Acpi" and Acpi64" subfolders.  Choose the "Acpi" or "Acpi64" subfolder regarding your OS (32bit or 64bit).  Use the device manager to update the Acpi Utility, see links.

Update by Device Manager

Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.