ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Wireless > RT-N16  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem] New Topic
Catalin
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 219
Posted:11/20/2009 1:34:00 PM # 1
Well, when I transfer some files over FTP from a USB drive connected to the router, I get about 6 to 7 MB/s. The same speed I achieved when downloading with Download Master...

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
The Power of Dreams
P
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 2
Posted:12/1/2009 7:23:00 AM # 2
willems i have the same problem seem to be a firmware problem

Kazik
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:4/9/2010 4:25:00 AM # 3
My situation is worst - only 90-92 KB/s from USB to HDD, by FTP or Network Neighbourhood. I use fast Transcend 16GB JetFlash 600 (measured read speed ca. 31 MB/s). Is anywhere a solution? Other router functions work properly. Firmware 1.0.0.6.

wayne
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 362
Posted:4/11/2010 8:59:00 AM # 4

Quote:
Author: Kazik Posted: 4/9/2010 4:25:00 AM

My situation is worst - only 90-92 KB/s from USB to HDD, by FTP or Network Neighbourhood. I use fast Transcend 16GB JetFlash 600 (measured read speed ca. 31 MB/s). Is anywhere a solution? Other router functions work properly. Firmware 1.0.0.6.

90KB/s is really too slow, like old time floppy disk drive.
As you said your measured read speed is 31MB/s ( i supposed it is when Jetflash is plugged into PC's USB port) that means your PC as well as USB drivers are OK.
So it might be LAN connections or router affecting you.

suggest you save your files of Jetflash 600 on computer, then reformat this Jetflash 600 using FAT32 format, once OK, you can plug into the RT N16 and  test again on file transfer, you should get at least 1MB/s

please check LAN connection cables and be sure to get 1000M on giga-adaptor. Old cable or less than Cat 5e cable or poor connector ( such as rusty) might cause your LAN to drop to 10M.

wayne
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 362
Posted:4/11/2010 9:29:00 AM # 5

Quote:
Author: wayne Posted: 4/11/2010 8:59:00 AM

Quote:
Author: Kazik Posted: 4/9/2010 4:25:00 AM

90KB/s is really too slow, like old time floppy disk drive.
As you said your measured read speed is 31MB/s ( i supposed it is when Jetflash is plugged into PC's USB port) that means your PC as well as USB drivers are OK.
So it might be LAN connections or router affecting you.

suggest you save your files of Jetflash 600 on computer, then reformat this Jetflash 600 using FAT32 format, once OK, you can plug into the RT N16 and  test again on file transfer, you should get at least 1MB/s

please check LAN connection cables and be sure to get 1000M on giga-adaptor. Old cable or less than Cat 5e cable or poor connector ( such as rusty) might cause your LAN to drop to 10M.

Hi Kazik,
after my post, i decided to test myself using 1.0.0.6 while holding other things the same. so i got like your speed!!!, transfer speed is just 120-130KB/s using this firmware.

I reload the 9.3.1.2 beta firmware and transfer speed to USB flash drive become 1.8MB/s.

My flash drive is much slower than yours,  read speed 15MB/s, write speed 3.3MB/s

With your Read speed 31MB/s you should be getting better speed than mine.

So now i suggest you download the 9.3.1.2 beta and test.  Read my post on other test results.
http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&id=20100403175530953&board_id=11&model=RT-N16&page=2&count=12

if you do not know where is their ftp for firmware, here is that place:
The real 9312 is available on the FTP server ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/wireless/RT-N16 date 4/9/2010
The web GUI is showing  9.3.1.2

Kazik
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:4/13/2010 2:43:00 AM # 6
It works!

After changing firmware version to 9.3.1.2 transfer speed by FTP is 4-5MB/s (USB to HDD) and 5-6MB/s (HDD to USB), using 100Mb LAN connection and FAT32 filesystem on USB drive.

Thanks a lot:)

wazza
Level :
Posted:4/26/2010 6:06:00 AM # 7
G'day,

I'm still running 1.0.1.2, and I've noticed that even with the older firmware, I get much faster transfer speeds (about 4.5-5 mbytes/second) when I formatted my USB hard drive with the ext3 file system.

When the drive was formatted as NTFS, I was only getting about 2 mbytes/second.

It might be worth a try, if you don't need to use your USB hard drive on any other computer also, to reformat the hard drive as ext3. The combination of that, plus the version 9.x.x.x beta firmware, might be an even bigger speed improvement. I haven't tested this myself yet.

Just an idea...

cheers,
                                                                              Wazza

Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: HHC New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.