Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]Windows 7 install freezes on "starting windows" New Topic
Kizner
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:11/18/2009 3:31:00 PM # 1
Hi all.

When I run the Windows 7 Home Premium OEM disc to install Windows 7 I get past "loading files" and then freeze on "starting windows". I see 4 little colored balls in the center of the screen (guessing the start of the MSFT logo) and then everything freezes.  This is a clean install on a home built system with brand new everything including HDDs. 

Here's what I've got:

Monitor: Samsung T260HD 25.5in Rose/Black LCD w/ATSC

HDD: 2 x Seagate 1.5TB Serial ATA HD 7200/32MB/SATA-3G

Memory: Corsair Dominator 6144MB PC12800 DDR3 1600MHz (3x2)

DVD: LG 22X DVDRW SATA

Motherboard: ASUS P6TD Deluxe Intel X58 Socket LGA1366 MB

Power Supply: Corsair 950w 80 Plus Power Supply

GPU: 5850 is backordered, so am using an old Nvidia 6600 GT to attempt to install Windows - connected to monitor with DVI cable

I've done lots of research and tried:

1. Using a PS2 keyboard/mouse
2. Disabling USB in bios
3. Disabling just about everything else in bios
4. Tried w/ 2MB, 4MB and 6MB ram

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Artimis08
Level :
Tech Points : 7
Posted:11/18/2009 3:51:00 PM # 2
My first possible solution.
Disable AHCI or change SATA mode to IDE emulation mode in BIOS so that SATA hard drive will work as just a normal hard drive utilizing native SATA driver in Windows or other OS.

I usually get a BSOD if I don't do this step before setting up the OS. I have never tried setting up Win7 without first doing this so maybe it will just freeze and not BSOD? Just a suggestion.

Crossfire Formula III| AMD Phenom x4 965 BE| 4 GB Patriot DDR3 1600| Radeon HD 5770| Corsair Liquid cooling kit
Steve1077
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 737
Posted:11/18/2009 9:55:00 PM # 3
Are you using raid? Have you tried with just one HDD? What size partition? Have you tried other HDD? Loaded any drivers when installing?

Asus P6T Deluxe, Intel I7 920, OCZ Intel Extreme Edition 3x2048 PC10666 DDR3, 2x750GB Samsung F1 HDD Intel RAID 0, ATI 4890 1024MB Graphics, Sony DDU1612 DVD-ROM, NEC ND-4551 DVD-RW, SoundBlaster X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Fatal1ty Pro, Corsair TX650 PSU, XP Pro 64/Windows 7 Ult 64------- Asus P9X79 Pro, Intel I7 3930K, Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4x4GB) LP PC3-12800 RAM, Crucial M4 256GB SSD (OS drive), 2x2TB Samsung HD204UI Spinpoint F4EG HDD running RAID 0 on Intel SATA (storage drive), Radeon HD6950 2GB graphics, SoundBlaster X-Fi Titanium Soundcard, Corsair TX650 V2 PSU, Windows 7 Ult 64
Kizner
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:11/18/2009 11:34:00 PM # 4
Thanks for the quick response.  I tried RAID 0 with both drives and then IDE with one drive.  I haven't loaded any drivers when installing, but I'm never given the option to load drivers.  The Win7 install disc auto boots, goes to "loading files" and then "starting windows" and then freezes.

I don't know exactly how I got there, but was able to boot in safe mode last night and hung while trying to load:

"Loaded: \windows\system32\DRIVERS\disk.sys"

Kizner
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:11/18/2009 11:37:00 PM # 5

Thanks for the quick response.  I tried all options - IDE, SATA and AHCI.  All result in a hang at "starting windows".  For the heck of it, I unplugged both HDDs and hung at the same spot.

This is starting to drive me mad.

Tech Points : 1367
Posted:11/19/2009 6:03:00 PM # 6
Hi Kizner, There is a possibility that your W7 install disc is bad or that your CD/DVD drive is not reading it properly and corrupting the installation files. I would suggest you first try another CD/DVD drive. I have experienced this problem before.

P6T deLuxe, i7 920 D0 @ 4.2 Ghz water cooled with XSPC Rasa 750 RS360, 12 Gb (6 x 2) Corsair Dominator TR3X6G1600C8D @ 1600 Mhz 8 8 8 24 2T, Asus GTX580 Direct CUII @ 940 Mhz with memory @ 4400 Mhz, 2 Tb Samsung HD Win7 64 plus 2Tb WD Caviar Black data drive, 2 x Samsung SATA DVD writers, P/S Antec HCP-1200W, Cooler Master HAF X case, Samsung T240 1920x1200 Monitor, XGR wireless k/b + mouse, 5.1 Amp and speakers
Targa
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 5
Posted:11/21/2009 5:15:00 AM # 7
I agree with Wolf.  Sometimes it's the simple things that we overlook.  I just purchased Windows 7 Pro and tried to install it and kept getting a very similar problem.  Finally looked at the disk and noticed it was scratched.  Take a look at that before you assume it's something weird with the motherboard.

If that doesn't solve it, did you try using IDE mode on storage configuration in BIOS just to see if that works?

-Ken

Spacer
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:11/22/2009 6:35:00 AM # 8
I had exactly the same problem and tried to fix it with every 64 os system windows and linux had. I RMA the motherboard, RAM and the PSU, all new componants came back 5 days later and can install every 64bit os system windows and linux had to offer. Believe me I tried everything to get the componants to work.

I updated bios, new optical drives, HDD's, RAM and Graphics card.

Corsair technical support said RMA  it, Intel told me to RMA it and finally Asus said RMA it too. I did have a little bit of help from one of Asus's technical support Guys called Jany.

I will wish him a Merry Christmas.

Sorry to sound a little on the downside here as this is drastic action and these componants aren't cheap, but save yourself the time and console yourselve your not the only one.

Kizner
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:11/24/2009 11:13:00 PM # 9
I gave up and brought the puter to a professional. The tech thought it was going to be a bad Windows 7 DVD (like Wolf and Targa suggested) but that's not it.  He tried loading Vista and Ubuntu and both crashed on install like Win7. 

A guy on Tom's Hardware forums (I've posted everywhere) had the same Windows install problems with the P6TD and the same Corsair 950TX power supply.  He was able to install using a different power supply.  When he tried to reinstall the 950TX after succesfully installing Win7 using a different power supply Win7 crashed on load.  Strange.  The tech is going to try a different power supply today.  I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks for the help guys!

hernie
Level :
Tech Points : 4
Posted:11/24/2009 11:38:00 PM # 10
When I was installing Win 7 64 bit I thought it had crashed as well at 2 different stages of the install. It would stay on the loading screen for ages. But it eventually moves on when its finished loading/installing or whatever it was doing. It only looked like it was hanging but was actually working away in the backround.

How long do you wait before deciding it has crashed?

Cooler Master HAF 922 ¦ Cooler Master Real Power M850W PSU ¦ ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 MoBo ¦ Intel Core i7-920 CPU ¦ Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600MHz 6GB RAM ¦ ASUS GeForce GTX 275 ¦ Samsung SpinPoint F1 320GB & 1TB Hard Disks ¦ Samsung SH-S223B DVD±RW Drive
1 2 3  Next  Last
Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.