Forum  
  Topic : [Problem] New Topic
PaN1C_Showt1Me
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 4
Posted:12/2/2009 5:08:00 PM # 1
Hi!

For all those who have / will have problems with the Asus Download Master utility (from now on DM) (having Asus RT-N16) I provide a howto:

1. To get the DM working with Asus RT-N16 make sure your external USB device is at least 8 GB and maximum 1000 GB. Otherwise it won't work.

2. Format the external device with ext2, ext3, ntfs, or fat32 (Do NOT use ext3 on your flash cards / keys as it will wear out it and you can throw it away). With external HDD is ext3 ideal(or ntfs). If you don't want to format the HDD (it does not have to be empty), just do a deep scandisk and fix all errors.

3. Make SURE that you correctly plug the HDD/USB flash out from your computer = successful unmount / eject on windows.

4. Plug the device into the RT-N16 (no matter what usb port) after the device is started and runs already few seconds / minutes. In web gui enable the network share (eventually ftp and UPnP), in the advanced settings make sure the option Enable Download Master is checked. In USB settings make sure that you see the partition of your drive. (when samba enabled you can try \\MYROUTERNAME)

5. Wait a few seconds (check the log file if the device is mounted) and reboot the device.

6. After the device is rebooted (supposing you have your PC and the RT-N16 connected) start the Download Master application and click connect. It should start the loup animation 0 - 99 %. Then it is probable the you would get an error

Device is not ready. Please connect again.

(If you get another error, uninstall and install the tool on your PC. DO NOT reinstall it.)

7. With the device not ready error, reboot the router (web gui).

8. After the reboot check the log file: you have to see this (or something like that):
Code:
Jan  1 00:02:48 (none) user.emerg Download master: daemon is started

If this is the case, reopen you Application Master app and click connect. It will connect. (It connects to the port 1213 on your router)

Otherwise make another reboot and try it again.

SUMMARY:
If anything does not work. Do a reboot and try again.

This is my log file where I got it running:

Code:
Jan  1 01:00:06 (none) syslog.info syslogd started: BusyBox v1.7.2
Jan  1 01:00:06 (none) user.notice igmp[1826]: igmp started!
Jan  1 01:00:11 (none) user.notice igmp[1826]:  interface 192.168.1.1, DOWNSTREAM ver=0x16 name=br0 index=7
Jan  1 01:00:11 (none) user.notice igmp[1826]:  interface 81.89.59.185, UPSTREAM ver=0x16 name=eth0 index=4
Jan  1 00:00:12 (none) user.emerg WAN Connection: The cable for Ethernet was not plugged in.
Jan  1 00:02:18 (none) user.emerg USB storage: "930/6545/110" was plugged in.
Jan  1 00:02:38 (none) user.emerg USB storage: vfat fs mounted to /tmp/harddisk/part0
Jan  1 00:02:45 (none) user.emerg USB storage: 64MB swap file is added
Jan  1 00:02:45 (none) user.emerg FTP Server: daemon is stoped
Jan  1 00:02:45 (none) user.emerg FTP Server: daemon is started
Jan  1 00:02:45 (none) user.emerg Samba Server: daemon is stoped
Jan  1 00:02:46 (none) user.emerg Samba Server: daemon is started
Jan  1 00:02:48 (none) user.emerg Media Server: daemon is started
Jan  1 00:02:48 (none) user.emerg Download Master : daemon is started

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
algger
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:12/10/2009 10:11:00 PM # 2
I was also unable con connect to DM but it solved when I disabled the access permisions to the disk from my Local Network.

Konstantin Sypalo
Level :
Posted:12/20/2009 1:38:00 PM # 3
Always buy products ASUS and was satisfied. But not this time :(. I bought RT-N13U... Download master does not work, "Dec 19 14:11:46 Download Master: apps not ready or disabled, daemon is not started". I use USB Hard drive "Seagate Desktop" capacity of 931.513 GB, so all of your recommendations have been implemented. But "daemon is not started". In addition, you write about the "Samba", but in the settings there is nothing about the share USB HDD on the network. In the setting of this either. Personally for me ASUS is always (!!!) was brand # 1 in price / quality ratio, these were products that are superior to competitors in functionality. But bought a product that works 50/50. P.S. Upgrade firmware to the latest version 1.0.1.2 - disappeared some settings when you select the device name when working with USB HDD, although the factory firmware is also not working :(. Lament (((((

...and I know.
nav2004
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 10
Posted:12/22/2009 9:25:00 PM # 4
For me your tip about checking the wireless log helped getting past the 99% message when selecting File --> Connect in Download master.

Now I have all things working in this router.

What I have found is that for Download master to work the External Hard disk connected to the router needs to be FAT16 or FAT32 formatted. I have confirmed this by doing a trial of using NTFS and FAT formatted hard drives, plus got a confirmation from support as below...

"At this time this router only supports NTFS read and FAT 16 and 32 Read and Write."

I now, never have to do any rebooting etc. Download master seems to connect.

Only problem is that if I select "Enable Download Share" under Advanced Setting --> Miscellaneous setting, then I have no clue when it is sharing.
I use hardware based VOIP phones, so had to go to the cable modem to check why the voice was breaking up even when no computer was using the internet connection. After hanging the phone the cable modem data transfer lights where going crazy. So had to disable the download sharing.
The reason I would need that ON is that most P2P sites work on the share ratio basis.
This router provides for no way to give higher bandwith preference to certain clients connected to the router. It just has it for some applications and download master is not even listed there.

Catalin
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 219
Posted:12/22/2009 10:16:00 PM # 5
Well, I do not know where did you get that confirmation from, but it is not true. I am using Download Master with a NTFS HDD and it is working fine, and seeding...

The Power of Dreams
Konstantin Sypalo
Level :
Posted:12/24/2009 5:28:00 AM # 6
I do not work DM. What do I do? Return the router to the seller? RT-N13U ver. fw 1.1.0.2

...and I know.
PASHKA
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:1/18/2010 2:12:00 PM # 7
Another solution:
You have:
1. firmware 9.9.4.75
2. utilities installed from ASUS Website 4.5.5.2
3. HDD formatted with NTFS filesystem
4. Download Master can't connect to router error
Follow this steps will solve this problem!
1. Disconnect HDD from router and connect it to PC
2. Create folders:

.etc
share\Download
share\Download\Complete
share\Download\config
share\Download\InComplete
share\Music
share\Photo
share\Video

Open folder C:\Program Files\ASUS\RT-N16 Wireless Router Utilities\RT-NX\

Extract file .apps.zip to root folder of your attachet HDD. So, You must see ".apps" folder in the root of HDD.

Safely disconnect HDD from PC and connect it to router.

Open link: http://192.168.1.1/Main_AdmStatus_Content.asp

Enter: /sbin/run_apps

Your window will freeze for seeral seconds. After that you will see a huge amount of text and at the end :

preparing to start Download Machine

Music DIR exist
Video DIR exist
PHOTO DIR exist
DOWNLOAD DIR exist

Navigate to http://192.168.1.1/Main_LogStatus_Content.asp and see at the end line such this "Jan 18 08:56:56 (none) user.emerg Download Master: daemon is started"

Well done. Now You can start Download Master from PC and it will connect to router.

Kost
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:1/19/2010 1:37:00 AM # 8

Quote:
Author: PASHKA Posted: 1/18/2010 2:12:00 PM

Open folder C:\Program Files\ASUS\RT-N16 Wireless Router Utilities\RT-NX\

Extract file .apps.zip to root folder of your attachet HDD. So, You must see ".apps" folder in the root of HDD.

Safely disconnect HDD from PC and connect it to router.

This real decision of a problem. Many thanks!

devfoss
Level :
Tech Points : 2
Posted:1/28/2010 7:27:00 AM # 9

Quote:
Author: PASHKA Posted: 1/18/2010 2:12:00 PM

Another solution:
You have:
1. firmware 9.9.4.75
(...)

Your window will freeze for seeral seconds. After that you will see a huge amount of text and at the end :

Music DIR exist
Video DIR exist
PHOTO DIR exist
DOWNLOAD DIR exist

Navigate to http://192.168.1.1/Main_LogStatus_Content.asp and see at the end line such this "Jan 18 08:56:56 (none) user.emerg Download Master: daemon is started"

Well done. Now You can start Download Master from PC and it will connect to router.

I did just that. However, the router displays some errors:
---------
dbg: check files
Cannot find /tmp/harddisk/part0/.apps/list.
Make sure it's available.
Cannot find /tmp/harddisk/part0/.apps/list.
Make sure it's available.

Music DIR exist
Video DIR exist
PHOTO DIR exist
DOWNLOAD DIR exist

-------

I think that those errors are the problem. Any idea how to fix them?

When I try to use Download Master it displays this error:

-------
Device Not Found
No device was found! Please check your network connection and
try again
-------
My network connection is fine. And I see that the USB Kingston pendrive was recognized. I can also browse files on the pen drive (using share). However, Download Master can't connect!

Any help?

Thanks,

Dev

devfoss
Level :
Tech Points : 2
Posted:2/2/2010 4:14:00 AM # 10
Hello

Is Download Master working for everybody?

I've installed firmware 9.9.4.75 but it still doesn't work! I've followed those procedures and checked the log but there are still errors.

Any helping hands out there?

Thanks

1 2 3  Next  Last
Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: HHC New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.