SEARCH
ASUS Member ID
Password
Forgot password?
Join member

ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Eee Family > Eee PC 900/Linux  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]Can't connect ASUS Eee PC 900 Linux to wireless network New Topic
Janer0603
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:11/11/2009 7:15:00 PM # 1
ASUS Forum please help!

Purchased a new 900  Eee a few days ago, and can't connect it to our wireless network at home. A pop up box comes on screen, showing the connection status as "pending"
No idea why, as I have put in the correct administrator password etc.
Can anyone help me? I really need to be able to use the netbook ASAP!

Many Thanks

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
JoeF
Level :
Tech Points : 285
Posted:11/12/2009 12:40:00 AM # 2
For wireless connectivity, you need to set the appropriate WEP or WPA encryption keys.
Also, if your wireless router is locked down, it may not accept connections from new machines until it is explicitly enabled on the router.

Black EeePC 900, Linux (Easy Peasy 1.5), and an assortment of other Linux and Unix systems. Running Slackware Linux since 1993. Developing software under Windows and Linux.
Janer0603
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:11/12/2009 5:09:00 PM # 3

Quote:
Author: JoeF Posted: 11/12/2009 12:40:00 AM

For wireless connectivity, you need to set the appropriate WEP or WPA encryption keys.
Also, if your wireless router is locked down, it may not accept connections from new machines until it is explicitly enabled on the router.

Joe, thanks so much for your reply.

Excuse ignorance, but what are the WEP/WPA encryption keys?
I don't think the wireless router is the problem, as we have another laptop that we connected to the same network with no problems

Thanks again

Jane

RobinAJ
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 46
Posted:11/12/2009 5:36:00 PM # 4
The higher you get, the safer your data is. It starts with web, then wpa and than wpa2. So wpa2 is the safest.
On the other laptop do you need to give a password? If not, you probably use wep, if so, you use probably wpa or wpa2.
If you are sure the wireless on the netbook is switched on, check the router. For the netbook it is best to make sure it can use the wireless connection on wpa. Check your router manual how to do that.
I had the same problem with wpa2, I had to switch to wpa and that works fine for me. I think that since you have another laptop which works fine, you use wpa2. But like I said, check your router, the problem is most likely in there.

Asus Eeepc 900 - 20 GB SSD White, OS: Ubuntu NBR.
mitcch
Level :
Posted:2/9/2010 11:17:00 AM # 5
can you help me with the correct administrator password you used.  thanks in advance.  M

RobinAJ
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 46
Posted:2/10/2010 7:17:00 PM # 6
You need to login in the router. There you can find the settings for the wireless and password. You probably have a software-cd from the router. There you find how to do that. Maybe even a manual for your router. Otherwise find the router manufacturer (make and model) on the internet, big chance they have a manual online.
In the router you make sure the settings for the wireless is on WPA because in my netbook the WPA2 doesn´t work. So try WPA first.
You can also try the netbook on a unprotected wireless network (with an open lock), just drive around your area and look for an unprotected network. If that works, the problem is definite at your router.

Asus Eeepc 900 - 20 GB SSD White, OS: Ubuntu NBR.
JoeF
Level :
Tech Points : 285
Posted:2/11/2010 6:26:00 AM # 7
Just go to a Starbucks. They usually have open wifi.
No need to drive around to find an open network (depending on the jurisdiction, it may be illegal, anyway.)

Black EeePC 900, Linux (Easy Peasy 1.5), and an assortment of other Linux and Unix systems. Running Slackware Linux since 1993. Developing software under Windows and Linux.
Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.