Level :
Tech Points : 58
Posted:11/11/2009 3:50:00 PM # 1
i cant download anything from the internet, this includes:

games
music
updates'plugins
programmes

why is the asus linux notebook so poor at both downloading and installing from the internet?

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
JoeF
Level :
Tech Points : 285
Posted:11/11/2009 4:29:00 PM # 2
Why in the world do you think that has anything to do with the netbook???
I use Linux on my Eee, and I can download everything I want to.
So, most likely YOU did something wrong. Please explain IN DETAIL what you tried, what you wanted to download, etc. etc.

Black EeePC 900, Linux (Easy Peasy 1.5), and an assortment of other Linux and Unix systems. Running Slackware Linux since 1993. Developing software under Windows and Linux.
Gerrard
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 82
Posted:11/11/2009 6:35:00 PM # 3
I think the following site help you to know more information about how to use the Linux OS on the Eee PC. http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewforum.php?id=26

RobinAJ
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 46
Posted:11/12/2009 5:24:00 PM # 4

Quote:
Author: peake Posted: 11/11/2009 3:50:00 PM

i cant download anything from the internet, this includes:

games
music
updates'plugins
programmes

why is the asus linux notebook so poor at both downloading and installing from the internet?

I don't know exactly what you meen, there is not much information in your question but I try to give you some sollutions to your problem.

Games and programmes need to be linux format. If you have installed Wine you can try windows-games but no garrantee that the will work.
If you meen that you can't download from the asus site, try downloading with the Eee connected to an internet cable. Check if you do things the right way. If I remember correctly (I don't use Xandros) it is in the manual and if not, check the asus Eee site.
If you try wireless, check if your wireless is switched on.

And by the way, the netbook is not poor in downloading and installing from the internet, it works very good in my case. I have downloaded tons of data, I use Ubuntu NBR (or UNR, Ubuntu NetBook Remix) and I download updates and upgrades on regular basis. Sometimes I use wired internet but mostly wireless.

Asus Eeepc 900 - 20 GB SSD White, OS: Ubuntu NBR.
peake
Level :
Posted:11/17/2009 10:53:00 AM # 5
this reply would have been of help ... but unfortunatly as i stated i cant install anything to my netbook, this includes Ubuntu ... which i have tried to do several times. i get all the files, but the ACTUAL process of instilation is either poorly explained (or not at all). and Ubuntu never installs so i end up deleting it!

its basically a hellish chinese boxes effect, where i am told:

in order to install this game you need Ubuntu

in order to install Ubuntu you need debian

in order to install debian you need Bit torrent

in order to install bit torrent you need windows (which i dont have)

why has the linux process of downloading anything from the internet been made so complicated, perplexing and intimidaiting for beginners, like myself???

all i want to do is download games, music, and files without all this hassle!

hardly any games are in the linux format on the internet, almost everything is windows. i tried to download the linux century solitaire from the asus website, but was told i needed python2,4-tk! i downloaded python but could not find this specific version, but it would not install onto my netbook!

peake
Level :
Posted:11/17/2009 11:01:00 AM # 6
i tried to download century solitaire (PYSOL) from the free asus download specifications (binary) section of the asus website. it wouldn't install because i was told i needed python -tk ... which i could not find. i downloaded one version of python, but it would not install.

how do i get the correct python installed and which is the correct binary in the specs?

how
Quote:
Author: JoeF Posted: 11/11/2009 4:29:00 PM

Why in the world do you think that has anything to do with the netbook???
I use Linux on my Eee, and I can download everything I want to.
So, most likely YOU did something wrong. Please explain IN DETAIL what you tried, what you wanted to download, etc. etc.

perez
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:11/24/2009 2:18:00 PM # 7
I have a similiar problem I was hoping someone was able to solve.  I can download programs onto my Eee PC notebook which uses UBUNTU.  The problem is once the program is saved I do not know which application to use to open the program and complete the installation process.  For instance I just downloaded the upgraded version of Foxfire and it is saved in my D file.  When I click on the downloaded file a box appears asking me to choose the application to use to run this program. I do not know which application to choose to run the program. Any and all help would be much appreciated.

JoeF
Level :
Posted:11/24/2009 3:03:00 PM # 8

Quote:
Author: peake Posted: 11/17/2009 10:53:00 AM

this reply would have been of help ... but unfortunatly as i stated i cant install anything to my netbook, this includes Ubuntu ... which i have tried to do several times. i get all the files, but the ACTUAL process of instilation is either poorly explained (or not at all). and Ubuntu never installs so i end up deleting it!

its basically a hellish chinese boxes effect, where i am told:

in order to install this game you need Ubuntu

in order to install Ubuntu you need debian

in order to install debian you need Bit torrent

in order to install bit torrent you need windows (which i dont have)

why has the linux process of downloading anything from the internet been made so complicated, perplexing and intimidaiting for beginners, like myself???

all i want to do is download games, music, and files without all this hassle!

hardly any games are in the linux format on the internet, almost everything is windows. i tried to download the linux century solitaire from the asus website, but was told i needed python2,4-tk! i downloaded python but could not find this specific version, but it would not install onto my netbook!
So, who "tells you" all this?
The process of downloading things from the Internet is really easy. There are lots of binaries for a variety of distributions, and also the source code.
This is a bit different than with Windows, since there isn't one monolithic company that controls everything.
Do yourself a favor, get one of the Linux 101 books in your local bookstore.

Black EeePC 900, Linux (Easy Peasy 1.5), and an assortment of other Linux and Unix systems. Running Slackware Linux since 1993. Developing software under Windows and Linux.
JoeF
Level :
Posted:11/24/2009 3:07:00 PM # 9

Quote:
Author: peake Posted: 11/17/2009 11:01:00 AM

i tried to download century solitaire (PYSOL) from the free asus download specifications (binary) section of the asus website. it wouldn't install because i was told i needed python -tk ... which i could not find. i downloaded one version of python, but it would not install.

how do i get the correct python installed and which is the correct binary in the specs?

Now we are getting somewhere.
On distributions derived from Debian, including the Xandros distribution Asus ships, you use the apt-get tool, or its GUI frontends, like aptitude. apt-get is a command-line tool.
You usually run it in a terminal (type Alt-T) with
sudo apt-get install
To install python, you would use
sudo apt-get install python
Xandros probably also has some kind of graphical update manager (I don't use Xandros, so I don't know for sure), which may be easier for you. You can select the applications you wish to install there.
It really isn't all that hard. It is a bit different than Windows, that's all.

JoeF
Level :
Posted:11/24/2009 3:14:00 PM # 10

Quote:
Author: perez Posted: 11/24/2009 2:18:00 PM

I have a similiar problem I was hoping someone was able to solve.  I can download programs onto my Eee PC notebook which uses UBUNTU.  The problem is once the program is saved I do not know which application to use to open the program and complete the installation process.  For instance I just downloaded the upgraded version of Foxfire and it is saved in my D file.  When I click on the downloaded file a box appears asking me to choose the application to use to run this program. I do not know which application to choose to run the program. Any and all help would be much appreciated.

You use the apt-get tool or the GUI frontends to download and install applications.
There is generally no need on Ubuntu or any other Debian-derived distribution to download any .tar.gz or .tar.bz2 files. That is something more for experts.
Ubuntu has a graphical update manager. You can select Firefox 3.5 there. Then you click "Apply", and it downloads and installs it all for you.

1 2  Next  Last
Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.