Join member

ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Multimedia > O!Play HDP-R1  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Sharing]Auto mount a share at boot time New Topic
evoisard
Level :
Tech Points : 62
Posted:10/16/2010 11:11:00 AM # 61
Sorry, I think I spoke to quickly and I said wrong things...
You indeed can edit fstab and it remains across bootups so you could theoretically add the nfs mount there. I think I even tried when I got my O!Play but it didn't work, I guess because the network was not up when the O!Play tried to mount all. O!Play boot process is special...

The best place remains at the end of /usr/local/etc/rcS because everything in the device should be up and ready at this time. (I say "should" because I recently had some sort of race condition between network dhcp setup and nfs setup, nfs coming too early I guess)

I don't see where there would be a gain in modifying rcS to add an entry in fstab and then to re-mount all. Why not simply mounting nfs in rcS?

Eric

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
jba
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 38
Posted:10/16/2010 6:56:00 PM # 62

Quote:
Author: evoisard Posted: 10/16/2010 11:11:00 AM

Sorry, I think I spoke to quickly and I said wrong things...
You indeed can edit fstab and it remains across bootups so you could theoretically add the nfs mount there. I think I even tried when I got my O!Play but it didn't work, I guess because the network was not up when the O!Play tried to mount all. O!Play boot process is special...

The best place remains at the end of /usr/local/etc/rcS because everything in the device should be up and ready at this time. (I say "should" because I recently had some sort of race condition between network dhcp setup and nfs setup, nfs coming too early I guess)

I don't see where there would be a gain in modifying rcS to add an entry in fstab and then to re-mount all. Why not simply mounting nfs in rcS?

Eric

Ok, thanks for the clarification.

I think there are two ways to do it:

1. put the mount command with all parameters in rcS
2. edit fstab and just put 'mount -a' in the rcS. Maybe add a sleep before that if the network still needs some time to come up.

In my opinion the reason to use fstab is that it is standard linux. It may also be simpler to remount the share, if the connection is lost, as all parameters are in fstab.

So, when I get my o!play, I will try both ways. Good to know that it supports nfs without any additional packages. However, I cannot understand, why asus does not support nfs in the gui. From what I heared, it seems to work much better than smb/cifs. Another reason for me to use nfs is, that is much simpler to set up on my linux box.

jba

evoisard
Level :
Posted:10/16/2010 9:46:00 PM # 63
I agree: I don't see why NFS in not available from the GUI. It's the same thing on my NAS: it's also Linux based but it didn't provide NFS :-( I had to install optware unfs to have it. All these embedded devices run Linux and would fly with native NFS, but still, vendors keep providing M$ crappy connectivity only. A shame... and a chance that we can hack them!

You sure you want an O!Play? How about competitors?

Eric

jba
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:10/17/2010 2:12:00 AM # 64

Quote:
Author: evoisard Posted: 10/16/2010 9:46:00 PM

You sure you want an O!Play? How about competitors?

Not sure. But, at the moment it seems to be the best option:
  • knows all the needed file types
  • Plays dvd-iso with menu
  • has wlan
  • has eSata
  • is linux based and can be customized
  • is made by asus (I like asus).
What would be your recommandation?

jba

evoisard
Level :
Posted:10/18/2010 7:07:00 AM # 65

Quote:
Author: jba Posted: 10/17/2010 2:12:00 AM

Quote:
What would be your recommandation?

Oh, I'm not in position to recommend anything.
Apart a couple of minor issues, I'm happy with my O!Play but as you can see in this forum, many users are experiencing all sorts of issues. And there is not much support nor extremely valuable software updates to be expected from Asus, unfortunately. I guess the team in charge of the O!play's code maintenance is not that big, and now there is the new O!Play HD2 which should steal developer resources...

Maybe the situation is the same for competitors...

Fortunately, there is a couple of people here that work on customized firmwares as well as add-on packages. They do a great job!

If Asus was to release their code open-source, I'm sure we would see great improvements in the O!Play made by the community. I'm also sure it would attract many new customers interested in this openness. The O!Play could become a standard, pretty much like Linksys and their routers... Ah, if Asus could understand this...

Eric

jba
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:10/24/2010 7:59:00 PM # 66
I have the air, but I think firmwares are comparable. Yesterday the new 1.21 came, which should be pretty much the same as 1.33 for the R1.

With the new firmware /usr/local/etc/rcS does not seem to be executed anymore. Can anyone confirm this?

I used the rcS file to mount my nfs shares. Any suggestion how to to do this now?

jba

Shaft
Level :
Tech Points : 2
Posted:10/25/2010 12:02:00 AM # 67

Quote:
Author: jba Posted: 10/24/2010 7:59:00 PM

With the new firmware /usr/local/etc/rcS does not seem to be executed anymore. Can anyone confirm this?

Hi there,

rcS is still executed (I checked this by putting some echo blabla >> /tmp/logfile.txt statements into my script.

I use this setup in my rcS file:

. /usr/local/etc/network.sh &
. /usr/local/etc/mount_video &

network.sh is executed and works flawlessly.

Mount_video is this:

mkdir -p /tmp/ramfs/volumes/DVD
sleep 5
mount -t nfs -o blablabla &

It seems that neither the sleep 5 nor the mount command are executed.
If I surround every single statement with an echo XXX >> /tmp/logfile command the log infos stop before the sleep command so sleep and mount are not executed, but I don't know why.

Kind regards,

Reen

evoisard
Level :
Posted:10/25/2010 1:45:00 AM # 68
Mine still works fine with 1.33, but I had problems some time ago with 1.28. It was working fine but suddently my share wouldn't mount anymore. I had to preceed it with 'ifconfig eth0 up' (Ive a static IP setup) for ensuring the network was up before the mount command.

So my rcS ends  with:
ifconfig eth0 up
mkdir ...
mount -t nfs ...

(no sleep and no '&' for running in the background)

Note also that my mountpoint in /tmp didn't change since June. It's like persistent across boot-ups...

You could try to run the 'mkdir' and 'mount' commands manually, just once. For some reason it helped me...

Eric

jba
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:10/25/2010 2:37:00 PM # 69
You are right, rcS is still executed. I have all the commands in rcS and in my case, even the mkdir is not executed (are you sure, mkdr is executed in your case? The created directory is persistent so you wont know, whether mkdir actually runs, as long as you dont remove the directory before a reboot).

This is strange. Why is echo executed but mkdir/sleep/mount not?

Another strange thing is, that rcS did not get overridden during the update. If it is part of the system it should be in the firmware and should then be overriden with the update.

jba

Quote:
Author: Shaft Posted: 10/25/2010 12:02:00 AM

Quote:
Author: jba Posted: 10/24/2010 7:59:00 PM

Hi there,

rcS is still executed (I checked this by putting some echo blabla >> /tmp/logfile.txt statements into my script.

It seems that neither the sleep 5 nor the mount command are executed.
If I surround every single statement with an echo XXX >> /tmp/logfile command the log infos stop before the sleep command so sleep and mount are not executed, but I don't know why.

Kind regards,

Reen

evoisard
Level :
Posted:10/26/2010 1:20:00 AM # 70
Apparently, rcS is only executed after issuing a 'reboot' from the command line or on full power-cycles, that is, when you remove the power cable... Simply putting it in standby with the remote is not enough. I never realized this...

My rcS commands are only executed on full reboot of the device. That's why I believed my mountpoint was persistent and why trying to mount my share by hand solved my problem when it failed some time ago. But well, when the device is in standby, Linux is still running...

On reboots, sleep, echo and so on are properly executed too, I've checked.

Reen, you sure the echo which you logged aren't some remains of older tests involving true reboots? I've been fooled by such things...

Eric

First  Prev  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  Next  Last
:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.