SEARCH
ASUS Member ID
Password
Forgot password?
Join member

ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Motherboard > Maximus Extreme  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]Maximus Extreme Will Not Even Post When RAM at 1600 New Topic
Russell
Level :
Tech Points : 2
Posted:10/5/2009 9:57:00 AM # 1
Hello All,
    I have been having a probelm over the past couple of days. I have been running my Maximus Extreme (latest bios) with a QX9770 AND OCZ DDR3 Platinum 12800 Memory (Model #OCZ3P16002GK) flawlessly for over a year now. Recently I noted that the memory was only running at 1066 speed. So I went into the bios and set it to DDR3-1600. When I rebooted, the post screen wouldn't even come up. I had to force a shutdown and got an overclocking failed message. Since then I have been scouring the OCZ and ASUS forums for any configurations tht might help. I have tried many, but all with the same result. Black screen. Any Thoughts or additional information needed?

JF

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Ulrich
Level :
Tech Points : 18323
Posted:10/5/2009 11:19:00 AM # 2
Hi R...

When a system rus a configuration properly for some time and then fails to do so, it is generally a hardware issue.  I think that the first thing to do is get the system running stable and then run Memtest and see if you are getting errors at 1066Mhz. 

Did you do any voltage or timing adjustments in order to get the memory running at 1600Mhz... 

There are 10 kinds of people in the World...Those who understand binary, and those who dont!
Russell
Level :
Posted:10/5/2009 11:37:00 AM # 3
Ulrich,
    Thanks for the reply. I am sorry if my message was not  clear. The system runs fine as soon as I set everything to auto. Rock solid with prime 95 for hours and hours. However, as soon as I try to make the RAM run at its rated speed I get the black screen upon bootup.
I have tried many different voltages and timing. Most of them have been posted on this forum or another. I have never gone much above the "yellow" zone that the bios suggests on its own. However, what troubles me is that I get NO DIFFERENCE IN BEHAVIOR despite any of the configs I have tried. This makes it difficult to tweak to perfection, obviously :).

Here are some of the settings I have messged with

DRAM Frequency (obviously)
DRAM Timings and Command Rate
FSB Voltage
FSB Strap
Nbridge Voltage
SBridge Voltage
AI Twister

Those seem to be some of the major ones. I thought with the QX9770 this would be easy considering the multiplier is unlocked and there is a direct connectio n with the FSB and the Frequency of the ram.

Quote:
Author: Ulrich Posted: 10/5/2009 11:19:00 AM

Hi R...

When a system rus a configuration properly for some time and then fails to do so, it is generally a hardware issue.  I think that the first thing to do is get the system running stable and then run Memtest and see if you are getting errors at 1066Mhz. 

Did you do any voltage or timing adjustments in order to get the memory running at 1600Mhz... 

Ulrich
Level :
Posted:10/5/2009 12:04:00 PM # 4
Hi R..

So I take it then that when the system was booting the memory at 1600Mhz?, that was also in the 'Auto' setting...   Is that correct...  You did not originally have to do any manual setting to get that memory speed...   or....  that the memory, as far as you are aware, never ran at 1600Mhz and you just tried to get it to run that fast and can't... 

Where is the FSB Frequency set..?

There are 10 kinds of people in the World...Those who understand binary, and those who dont!
Russell
Level :
Posted:10/5/2009 12:11:00 PM # 5
As far as I know, the system has never run at 1600. I'd like it to, but it won't :(.
The FSB is at 400, right where it should be for the qx9770 (as far as I know).

I just went through the thread that addresses this kind of setup again, tried a bunch of different configs. No matter what, I cannot even get the thing o post. I even turned the DDR down to 1333. No luck.
Quote:
Author: Ulrich Posted: 10/5/2009 12:04:00 PM

Hi R..

So I take it then that when the system was booting the memory at 1600Mhz?, that was also in the 'Auto' setting...   Is that correct...  You did not originally have to do any manual setting to get that memory speed...   or....  that the memory, as far as you are aware, never ran at 1600Mhz and you just tried to get it to run that fast and can't... 

Where is the FSB Frequency set..?

Russell
Level :
Posted:10/5/2009 12:23:00 PM # 6
Well... at least this is a change!

I changed the timings to 8-8-8-24 AND set the DRAM frequency to 1333. It posted.... and then locked upon boot :(.

Ulrich
Level :
Posted:10/5/2009 9:57:00 PM # 7
Hi R...

The QX9770 should run at 400Mhz and a 1:1 ratio with the memory...  So the only thing I can suggest is that you return that OCZ memory for some quality ram...  OCZ memory can be extremely problematic..  I suspect it is a quality issue.

There are several 4GB DDR3 1600 kits listed here and the higher quality kits are specified to run at about 1.6vdc...

http://corsair.com/configurator/product_results.aspx?id=386378

But, of course, there can be no guarantees about whether new memory would work and the performance difference between 1066Mhz and 1600Mhz is hardly noticable in most applications.  You certainly should get what you pay for, however.  So, if you can, return the OCZ memory for refund and get a high quality Corsair kit... and if the Corsair kit fails to work properly, then there may be other factors involved like the board itself or its BIOS. 

japps
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:11/29/2009 9:27:00 AM # 8
Russel, I too have a qx9770...for about a year I was running 6gb (2x2gb Patriot DDR3-1600 & 2x1gb Cellshock DDR3-1800) of ram at 1600 speeds. Recently I started to get BSOD...so I took out the Cellshock ram and have been running the Patriot...but now I can't even run that at 1600 speeds...I too had to scale back to DDR3-1067 speeds to have stability. I ran memtest for 4 hours at DDR-3 1600 7-7-7-20 1T with no errors...but I can't pass prime95 once booted into windows at even DDR3-1600 9-9-9-24 2T. But I am stable at DDR3-1067 7-7-7-20 1T. Sucks...like you I spent extra on this ram to have 1600 speeds. I even tried upping the NB voltage...but to no avail. My CPU, NB & SB are watercooled...nothing gets over 31C.

Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.