Join member

ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Motherboard > P4S800D-X  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]COM3 missing, PCI function missing New Topic
Holkenbrink
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:9/3/2009 2:15:00 PM # 1

My motherboard is marked P4S800D-X, on the board and on the paper tag. The motherboard has no Raid components.  There is no Raid.  The only driver set I can find is for a Raid based board.  This is not Raid based.

Presently the 1005 BIOS for the above board is installed. 

* It does not have the COM3 port for the modem. 

Hardware:  ! PCI Simple Communications Controller    No driver installed (Code 28)

* It does not Reset when the contacts are shorted.

What motherboard is this?  What board ID shall I use for drivers?  I do not have a knowledge in depth of ASUS motherboards

I did save the previous bios.  I do not remember if COM3 worked then.  I can lookup how to reload the previous bios and do that.  If it works.

Mike

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
tcsenter
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 260
Posted:9/3/2009 5:30:00 PM # 2

Quote:
Author: Holkenbrink Posted: 9/3/2009 2:15:00 PM

I do not have a knowledge in depth of ASUS motherboards

That would seem to be an understatement.  Nearly all PC chipsets since 2003 have featured integrated RAID capability (via the Southbridge).  The P4S800D-X is no exception, which uses the RAID capable SIS 964 Southbridge.

RTFM.

Holkenbrink
Level :
Posted:9/4/2009 3:48:00 AM # 3
OK.  I admit the SIS 964 device.  However all the sockets and dedicated chips for RAID component connection is missing.  Not on the board. 

You attempt to run the driver install program and you get an Error:  "Can not find SIS 180 Raid Controller.  Please check Raid Card Connected."  Driver install stops beforf it starts. 
I can understand it not finding the RAID Controlled.  All of the components are missing.  So, I probably require a driver for a MB without RAID.  Why this has the ID of a full RAID capable MB I do not know, it is not RAID capable unless I obtained all of the components and soldered them to the MB. 
Mike

tcsenter
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:9/4/2009 5:24:00 PM # 4
That's because this solution does not use dedicated (a.k.a. discrete) RAID controller, it features integrated RAID capability (again, via the 964 Southbridge).

It appears that only the SATA ports are RAID capable, not the IDE/ATA ports.  If the driver doesn't detect RAID capable SATA ports, its because you either don't have the SATA controller enabled in BIOS, or the SATA mode in BIOS is configured for IDE, not RAID.

Holkenbrink
Level :
Posted:9/5/2009 12:36:00 AM # 5

Tnks,

That is a gud explanation.  I will verify and run RAID driver install again.  It is the little things that bite u.

If I do not post again on the topic, I have had success.
Tnx again,

Mike

Holkenbrink
Level :
Posted:9/5/2009 4:57:00 AM # 6

All right.  You get ½ a cigar.  The RAID problem is gone.  It has loaded the drivers. 

But…..

I still have the COM3 port missing and the "!PCI Controller" driver missing as in my first Post.  This is where I started.

Ideas?  You can win the other ½ of the cigar and my gratitude.

Mike

tcsenter
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:9/5/2009 9:47:00 AM # 7
The ASUS drivers are old, BTW.  Here are the latest drivers:

SIS SATA & RAID Driver v4.11a

SIS Integrated LAN Driver v1.19

ADI 1888 SoundMax Audio Driver v5410

PCI Simple Communications Controller is an add-in board (PCI modem), not part of the motherboard.  This you'll have to identify yourself before drivers can be found.  If you have a LAN connection to the internet, you can let Windows search the internet for a PCI modem driver.  COM3 will probably become available for the modem once you have installed the proper driver.

Holkenbrink
Level :
Posted:9/5/2009 10:26:00 AM # 8
Tnx,
Already tried updating modem drivers.  But, you have reminded me of something I thought of 2 days ago and forgot.
I will drop a note on progress.
Mike

Holkenbrink
Level :
Posted:9/22/2009 6:55:00 AM # 9
Ok.  I still cannot recognize a modem.  Yes, any of about 10 different ones. 
So, I tried a Sig ATA133 board.  It does not recognizr it either.

Note: the New Hardware screen comes up, I point it directly at a file containing the drivers, and No Hardware drivers are found.

All drivers are currently for the board used and Xp, SP2.

Note, before I started this mind boggle, I updated the BIOS to the latest version released.  I think that took me from ....2 to ....5 version.  Would a return to the original be advised?  Or what.

No, I cannot hook to a lan and let it play around.  Dialup only....
and no modem.
Everything operates except the PCI bus accepting a card.
Mike

Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.