Join member

ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Motherboard > M2N68-AM SE2  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]BIOS Update for M2N68-am SE2 - Help! New Topic
Davey G
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:9/1/2009 3:56:00 AM # 1
Hi Guys and Gals, I have a new custom built PC with an ASUS M2N68-AM SE2 motherboard. I'm experiencing all sorts of "not responding" and "blue screen of death" horridness and one of the recommended fixes from various sources is to update the BIOS. I've checked the BIOS version and its currently running 2.02 from January of this year. I've downloaded 2 ROM files which I thought were updates but when I try to run them through EZFlash it says they're not compatible with the current BIOS. Are there any updates for this board? If so can anyone point me in the right direction or offer any other help? Thanks in advance. Dave

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Ulrich
Level :
Tech Points : 18483
Posted:9/1/2009 4:28:00 AM # 2
Hi D..

The problems are likely memory issues ans although sometimes a BIOS revision can overcome some compatibility problem, installing tested compatible memory is generally the best course of action...

What is the part number for your memory kit...?

When you downloaded the BIOS file, what did you do with it...?

There are 10 kinds of people in the World...Those who understand binary, and those who dont!
Davey G
Level :
Posted:9/1/2009 4:32:00 AM # 3
I Ulrich, Thanks very much for the swift response. Dont know the part number for my memory kit - whats the easiest way of finding out? I'll copy and paste my full spec below at the end of the post. In terms of the ROM downloads, I've saved them on the hard drive, rebooted, into BIOS, EZFlash, found the files, hit return and then it comes up with the error about them not being compatible. PC Spec is here: 1 x 250 GB SATA-II HDD UDMA 300 7200 8MB 1 x 4 X USB 2.0 Ports 1 x Motherboard Integrated 5.1 Sound 1 x Motherboard Integrated Ethernet Lan (Broadband Ready) 1 x 4GB PC-6400 800 MHZ (2 x 2 GB) (DDR2) 1 x Speeze QuadroFlow VIII - Low Noise 1 x Samsung (SH-D162D) 16x DVD-ROM Black (IDE) 1 x X-Blade Black 1 x 450W PSU 1 x 22" Widescreen TFT Black/Silver - 5MS 1 x ASUS P5N73-AM S/V/L M-ATX 1333FSB (NVIDIA 7050) 1 x Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 (2 x 2.8 GHZ) 1066FSB - 3 MB 1 x Standard Operating System Backup 1 x Built & Tested CP 1 x NVIDIA GeForce 9800GT - 512 MB - 2xDVI/VGA (Palit) Thanks in advance (again!) D

Ulrich
Level :
Posted:9/1/2009 4:37:00 AM # 4
Hi D..

The memory kit or part number should be written on the documentation or package that your memory came in...

As far as the BIOS situation is concerned, you might create a new folder on your desktop called 'bios' and then drop one of the files you downloaded into that folder.  Then right click on the file and see if you can 'extract' the BIOS image.  Then try EZ Flash once again.

There are 10 kinds of people in the World...Those who understand binary, and those who dont!
Davey G
Level :
Posted:9/1/2009 4:43:00 AM # 5
Hi mate, Memory was pre-installed as a custom build I'm afraid so I dont have the packaging. I've extracted the .ROM files using Winzip - just doesnt like them when I try to run them using the EZFlash utility. Have noticed there's a later version though - 7.02? Could be worth trying that if I can find it? D

Ulrich
Level :
Posted:9/1/2009 4:49:00 AM # 6
Hi D..

Well, before we talk about this any more, is your system an OEM off the shelf preassembled unit... because if that is the case, then there may be a problem installing any reail BIOS from Asus...

Davey G
Level :
Posted:9/1/2009 4:53:00 AM # 7
Hi, Its a custom built, from scratch unit from an internet store - I ordered all the parts on their website, they assembled the kit and sent it via courier. Wasnt purchased with an operating system (using windows 7 32 bit evaluation at the min) but everything else was tested prior to shipping a-ok. Cheers, D

Ulrich
Level :
Posted:9/1/2009 5:01:00 AM # 8
Hi D..

I'm thinking that the M2N68-AM SE2 may be an OEM board.... online retailors like to use them because they are so much less expensive then the retail Asus versions... The reason I suggest this is because the Asus BIOS doesn't want to cooperate...

So what I would do here is contact them... and see for sure whether or not the board is retail Asus.   And talk to them about the performance issues you are having.  And find out about the memory kit tht they used because the issues sound like memory problems.

You might also try your BIOS revision from a USB flash drive and see if that works any better.

Davey G
Level :
Posted:9/1/2009 5:03:00 AM # 9
Cool - will do. Thanks very much for the advice. D

tcsenter
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 260
Posted:9/1/2009 7:19:00 AM # 10
Bootable BIOS Update CD for ASUS M2N68-AM SE2 BIOS 0901

http://s89934018.onlinehome.us/bios/M2NAMSE20901.iso

Standard ISO file that should be compatible with any decent CD burning app.  After creating the CD, you should find a README file on the disc for instructions.

1 2  Next  Last
Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.