Forum  
  Topic : [Sharing]Crazy screen after 2GB upgrade - FIXED!!! New Topic
Maven
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 42
Posted:8/14/2009 8:26:00 PM # 1
I have three Eee PC 900 XPs, each came with 8GM SSD and 512mb ram.  I wanted to
upgrade to 2GB ram .  I first bought the Crucial Tech recommended 200 pin SODIMMs. 
After installation on boot up the screens would go "crazy".  You can see the problem on this video I shot of operation on the Crucial Tech chips...
http://s204.photobucket.com/albums/bb111/myfamilypics01/?action=view&current=PICT0002.flv

I contacted ASUS and Crucial tech support and was told to do a variety of upgrades.. APCI.exe, video driver.  I installed the new version 1006 BIOS.  Nothing worked.
Crucial was great and gave me a full refund on all three chips.

Next I found Kahlon.com.  I ordered their Eee PC recommended 2GB chip.  Same problem occured.  Here is a link to that problem...
http://s204.photobucket.com/albums/bb111/myfamilypics01/?action=view&current=Kahlon2GBupgrade.flv

In the meantime I received a call from ASUS tech support and was told that the 667mhz chips might be too fast for the computer and was told to try the 400mhz chips.   Finding a 400mhz 2GB proved a problem in that a Google search only pulled up one company, Memory-Up.

I called Memory-Up and was connected to tech support guy Eric.  I explained the problem, asking about 400 mhz chip.  Memory-up has two different recommended chips, one the 667mhz and the other was 533mhz, but it did have a 400mhz chip.  Eric recommended trying the 533mhz 2GB chip first and if that didn't work to the try the 400mhz chip.  I followed his recommendation.

I received the chip, installed it, and have successfully booted up multiple times.  I now have
a 2GB machine!!!

I know others have had success with generic and named brand 2GB chips, installing them with no problem, but some of us have had the crazy screen problem.

If you have had the crazy screen problem when trying to upgrade to 2GB memory, this might be the solution to your problem.

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
DrZ
Level :
Tech Points : 2133
Posted:8/14/2009 8:51:00 PM # 2

Quote:
Author: Maven Posted: 8/14/2009 8:26:00 PM

I have three Eee PC 900 XPs, each came with 8GM SSD and 512mb ram.  I wanted to
upgrade to 2GB ram .  I first bought the Crucial Tech recommended 200 pin SODIMMs. 
After installation on boot up the screens would go "crazy".  You can see the problem on this video I shot of operation on the Crucial Tech chips...
http://s204.photobucket.com/albums/bb111/myfamilypics01/?action=view&current=PICT0002.flv

I contacted ASUS and Crucial tech support and was told to do a variety of upgrades.. APCI.exe, video driver.  I installed the new version 1006 BIOS.  Nothing worked.
Crucial was great and gave me a full refund on all three chips.

Next I found Kahlon.com.  I ordered their Eee PC recommended 2GB chip.  Same problem occured.  Here is a link to that problem...
http://s204.photobucket.com/albums/bb111/myfamilypics01/?action=view&current=Kahlon2GBupgrade.flv

In the meantime I received a call from ASUS tech support and was told that the 667mhz chips might be too fast for the computer and was told to try the 400mhz chips.   Finding a 400mhz 2GB proved a problem in that a Google search only pulled up one company, Memory-Up.

I called Memory-Up and was connected to tech support guy Eric.  I explained the problem, asking about 400 mhz chip.  Memory-up has two different recommended chips, one the 667mhz and the other was 533mhz, but it did have a 400mhz chip.  Eric recommended trying the 533mhz 2GB chip first and if that didn't work to the try the 400mhz chip.  I followed his recommendation.

I received the chip, installed it, and have successfully booted up multiple times.  I now have
a 2GB machine!!!

I know others have had success with generic and named brand 2GB chips, installing them with no problem, but some of us have had the crazy screen problem.

If you have had the crazy screen problem when trying to upgrade to 2GB memory, this might be the solution to your problem.

Maven,
Most of the Eee Pc units come with a 533 MHz Front Side Buss (FSB).  The FSB is determined by the chipset used in the computer.  It is true that you can use faster memory (667, 800 MHz) and the computer effectively underclocks the memory....HOWEVER....the fast memory 800 MHz tends to be a bit more sensitive to not being seated properly.  I have always....and will continue to recommend 667 MHz because most people don't tend to have issues with it.  Crucial Memory has been my biggest headache here but it has nothing to do with the quality of their product.  It has more to do with seating and proper handling of the product.  The faster the memory...the more sensitive it is to static discharge (ESD) damage.

Glad to hear your unit is working.  Nothing is more irritating than a machine that should work...and doesn't.

Best Regards,
DrZ

Old Guy. EPc 1201N (Win 7, 4gB RAM). Panasonic toughbook with Windoze XP Pro and Suse Linux. Hand built Power machine with Quad core, 16gB memory, 2TB hard drive, Dual 1gB video Cards, Running XpPro and Unix. Research Engineer with close to 40 yrs experience working on and with computers....guess that makes me an old geek and if not a geek.... just cussed old!
Maven
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 42
Posted:8/15/2009 8:56:00 AM # 3

Quote:
Author: DrZ Posted: 8/14/2009 8:51:00 PM

Quote:

Maven,
Most of the Eee Pc units come with a 533 MHz Front Side Buss (FSB).  The FSB is determined by the chipset used in the computer.  It is true that you can use faster memory (667, 800 MHz) and the computer effectively underclocks the memory....HOWEVER....the fast memory 800 MHz tends to be a bit more sensitive to not being seated properly.  I have always....and will continue to recommend 667 MHz because most people don't tend to have issues with it.  Crucial Memory has been my biggest headache here but it has nothing to do with the quality of their product.  It has more to do with seating and proper handling of the product.  The faster the memory...the more sensitive it is to static discharge (ESD) damage.

Glad to hear your unit is working.  Nothing is more irritating than a machine that should work...and doesn't.

Best Regards,
DrZ

Hi Dr Z,
I will agree with you about the seating and static discharge problems.  However, in this case I am confident neither of those situations were the case.  The problem only existed on boot-up when on battery power.  The computers worked fine with either of the Crucial and Kahlon chips when on the AC power cord but exhibited the problem when on battery.

It would seem a bit strange that a seating problem would only be evident when on battery, but I will concede it is possible.

I thank you for your explanation about the buss speed and finicky chips.  I've learned a lot reading your other posts on other topics and I am glad this forum has someone such as you
reading and posting.

Maven

Arthurton
Level :
Tech Points : 0
Posted:8/22/2009 7:56:00 AM # 4
I have been experiencing the same problem since my 2G upgrade also with a 667MHZ chip.  If I remove and reseat the battery I can boot up.  I really don't want to get a new memory chip, but I think the chip is also causing some DPC/Interrupt problems as well as some problems writing out to my SD card.

I am going to test with the 1G OEM RAM and see if I continue to have the other problems.  I will post up any results.  Thanks for the documentation.

Wayne

Strawn
Level :
Posted:8/26/2009 10:33:00 PM # 5
I put a 1G Corsair 667 chip in my 900 a few weeks ago. I updated the ACPI driver it started going bonkers, ESPECIALLY when the battery gets a little (60%) low. I re-did the driver last night and it seems to be working OK this morning.

Eager to hear any PERMANENT fixes

Strawn
Level :
Posted:8/26/2009 10:48:00 PM # 6
Spoke too soon. Unplugged the charger, booted machine and screen went crazy again. Shut down, replugged charger, boot fine.

ARRRGGGHHH!!!

waltz49
Level :
Tech Points : 2
Posted:8/28/2009 5:18:00 AM # 7
According to other online sources, the problem with hanging, garbled screens and inability to boot is common on a 2G upgrade with a 900, and most people seem to try several brands of memory (and sometimes several models within a brand) before getting a working 2G system.   The one chip that seems to give people the best result is the Kingston KVR667D2S5/2G available from most suppliers.  I just installed one yesterday and it works fine so far, even when unplugging ore pluging in the machine.  This is my 4th attempt.  I had no success with OCZ, Corsair and an off-brand.

There are several versions of the KVR667D2S5 which have different support chips, but most (not all) people seem to get success with this model. Best results seem to be with the version that has ELPIDA brand chips, but mine has something else and as I said that seems OK.  Another that gets reasonable success rates according to others is the Transcend brand (Model JM800QSU).

For what its worth, I don't think any of the voodoo fixes (updated BIOS, video drivers, memory seating, CPU speed control) have anything to do with this issue.  It appears to be a simple case of a finicky PC that needs a memory board with just the right specs and tolerances.

CKK
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 7
Posted:9/12/2009 1:08:00 PM # 8
"There are several versions of the KVR667D2S5..." Yes! the chipset of larger square-shape's one is fine but the slim rectanglar one is unstable, I tried both on my EeePC 900/XP.

eeecon
Level :
Posted:9/14/2009 5:03:00 PM # 9
Hello Maven,
my screen was often going crazy too after installing a PNY 2GB DDR2 667Mhz RAM (compatible with 533Mhz) into my EeePC 900 with 4GB+8GB SSD, 1GB RAM, 1006 BIOS, XP.
In my view the problem is either the dynamic clocked CPU (630Mhz with battery power until 900Mhz with cable power) or the FSB (see the post from Dr.Z) despite of the declared compatibility with 533Mhz.

Now I have ordered a 2GB A-Data DDR2-533 (PC2-4200) SO-DIMM 200-pin laptop memory module by memoryc.com and hope it works stolid.

Ciao eeecon

doe
Level :
Tech Points : 10
Posted:9/17/2009 6:24:00 AM # 10
drz you need to read guy. 900 xp models in this section are 400. you might want to read up on the asus 2 gig upgrade issues. you need to know what your talking about to help people out in here. telling people to upgrade to 2gig in last comment when you know a guy has a 2 gig issues in here. your throwing darts. blind. guys the 2 gig upgrade is a hit of miss thing. it not vender bound but it might be voltage just make sure you check. some are high volt and no good for you. as for static straps that rubish and i stoped wearing one 10 years ago. never had a issue. you just might have to try differnt brands there no one model that really known to work it really strange.

1 2  Next  Last
Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.