ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Eee Family > Eee PC 1005HAB  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Sharing]RAM Upgrade New Topic
Achimba
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 5
Posted:7/13/2009 8:50:00 PM # 1
I purchased the Eee 1005HAB with 1GB of memory an I want to upgrade the amount of RAM it has. What type of RAM is used? How large can I upgrade to (2GB/4GB)? Thanks.

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
DrZ
Level :
Tech Points : 2133
Posted:7/13/2009 9:13:00 PM # 2

Quote:
Author: Achimba Posted: 7/13/2009 8:50:00 PM

I purchased the Eee 1005HAB with 1GB of memory an I want to upgrade the amount of RAM it has. What type of RAM is used? How large can I upgrade to (2GB/4GB)? Thanks.

Your Eee Pc will hold a maximum of 2gB on a single stick.  I have heard many different people say many different speeds for these machines however....

pc2-5300 ddr2-667 MHz 200 pin SODIMM.  You can find them on Ebay for a reasonable price or your can shop around a bit and see if you can improve on the price there. 

I have heard some people say that the ddr2-800 MHz is the way to go but typically you are buying faster memory for a bit more ca$h and then the system slows it back down to the maximum it will run which is the FSB (Front Side Buss) speed of 667 MHz. 

Best Regards,
DrZ

Old Guy. EPc 1201N (Win 7, 4gB RAM). Panasonic toughbook with Windoze XP Pro and Suse Linux. Hand built Power machine with Quad core, 16gB memory, 2TB hard drive, Dual 1gB video Cards, Running XpPro and Unix. Research Engineer with close to 40 yrs experience working on and with computers....guess that makes me an old geek and if not a geek.... just cussed old!
Achimba
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 5
Posted:7/14/2009 6:26:00 PM # 3
Thank you for this information.

Doe
Level :
Tech Points : 4
Posted:7/15/2009 3:05:00 AM # 4
From what I understand of the 1005HAB (Best Buy specific model):
- based on Intel Atom N270 (1.6GHz)
- this means it operates on a max FSB (front side bus) of 533MHz

The 1005HA (6 cell battery models) are based on:
- Intel Atom N280 (1.66GHz)
- this means it operates on a max FSB of 667MHz

If the assertions above hold true, and you got a 1005HAB, then I would think this is the better match:
2GB DDR2 PC-4200 SODIMM (533MHz) CL3

Short Answer, this is the memory that matches the FSB on the 1005HAB.
- you aren't paying for faster RAM that gets slowed down to accommodate the motherboard
- the CL3 makes it the fastest refresh available on the market for this combination
- as far as I know only Kingston Hyper X line makes this RAM in CL3
- make sure you are getting a single stick of 2GB ram, instead of a pair of 1GB's

Brown
Level :
Tech Points : 0
Posted:7/15/2009 3:25:00 AM # 5
I just received an Eee 1005HA and a 2 gig memory stick.  Swapping out the 1 gig and replacing it with the two gig was painless.  But the computer still only sees .99 gig.  What do I have to do to get the upgrade recognized?

Thanks to whoever can help!

D
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:7/18/2009 12:57:00 AM # 6
Hold F2 as soon as you turn it on, then verify it sees over 2000mb. After that, hit F10. It should start up normally. Once it does, right-click "my computer", go to "properties" and you should see 1.99. Please, Let me know if you see an "Atheros Boot agent" black-screen between the ASUS screen and the WINDOWS Startup screen. FYI, I used 2gb PC2 6400 CRUCIAL RAM.

bigtone_gd3
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:7/31/2009 5:31:00 PM # 7
Hello D

I just did the exactly what you said in this post. And everything work I would like to say thank you very much, because this was driving me crazy. I also got the PC2 6400 CRUCIAL RAM. It works like a champ.

Thank you very much,
Bigtone_gd3

BRT
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 2
Posted:7/31/2009 7:39:00 PM # 8
I recently purchased the same model and had no problem upgrading the RAM as described. However, then my power supply won't charge the computer. I swapped the RAM back and it still wouldn't charge. Now this morning with the original RAM it is charging. Anyone have any idea what the problem could be? I'll swap the RAM back tonight and test again, but I'm considering returning the whole unit for a refund and getting another since I've only had it one day.

White
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:8/1/2009 9:28:00 AM # 9

I found a deal on the ASUS EeePC 1005HA-PU1X-BK with CORSAIR VS2GSDS800D2 2GB PC2-6400 (DDR2-800).  Would that ram work well? Or should i spend extra and get ddr2-667 with cas 4?

DrZ
Level :
Tech Points : 2133
Posted:8/1/2009 11:33:00 AM # 10

Quote:
Author: White Posted: 8/1/2009 9:28:00 AM

I found a deal on the ASUS EeePC 1005HA-PU1X-BK with CORSAIR VS2GSDS800D2 2GB PC2-6400 (DDR2-800).  Would that ram work well? Or should i spend extra and get ddr2-667 with cas 4?

White,
If you found a deal...take it.  What people don't seem to understand is you can use memory that runs faster than the Front Side Buss and it will slow down the memory to work with the machine.  Typically....this can occur up to two steps downwards.

Best Regards,
DrZ

Old Guy. EPc 1201N (Win 7, 4gB RAM). Panasonic toughbook with Windoze XP Pro and Suse Linux. Hand built Power machine with Quad core, 16gB memory, 2TB hard drive, Dual 1gB video Cards, Running XpPro and Unix. Research Engineer with close to 40 yrs experience working on and with computers....guess that makes me an old geek and if not a geek.... just cussed old!
1 2 3  Next  Last
Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.