ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Eee Family > Eee PC 1000HE  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]Battery Icon lost New Topic
Thibodeaux
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 2
Posted:6/19/2009 11:11:00 AM # 1
I cannot see my battery icon on the task bar any more. Also it is not even listed in control panel. Help.

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Rick
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:6/19/2009 12:27:00 PM # 2
Hello Thibodeaux,

The battery icon is hidden because they it's inactive... there is an option in Windows that hides inactive applications, but your given option to have it shown always.

Step by Step instructions:
- place your mouse cursor on the Taskbar
- press the right click on the mouse / right button on touch pad
- click on properties
- click the Notification Area
- Click Customize
- Choose which icons you want to be shown
- Click either OK or APPLY
- done

If you have any questions, just ask. I'm not an expert but i try my best. :)

tks
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 10
Posted:6/19/2009 4:22:00 PM # 3
I am facing the same problem, have posted the same question but still have no answer. I have done all the configuration I can including the one suggested. Enabled it to Always Show, make sure it is Active etc etc. but the battery icon simply will not come on. In fact, it seems the list of icons shown in now frozen. If I choose "do not show" for some of the other icons, they will still show. Don't know what happened.

tks
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 10
Posted:6/20/2009 12:25:00 AM # 4
I spent a lot of time searching this problem and realised that this problem affects not just Asus computers but many computers running Windows XP. In fact, it is not just the battery icon that disappears. So does the sound icon etc. It is a bug in the OS.

Many users have offered suggestions ranging from running systray.exe to deleting certain registry files or running certain patches. They all do not work reliably.

The only solution that seems to work, at least for me, is as follows. I have no idea how it works or whether they are any consequences. It just works for me. If it works for you too, let me know.

SYMPTOM: When you restart the computer, the icons in the notification area are missing. If you log off and log on with the same user account, the icons appear.

To resolve this behavior, follow these steps to disable the SSDP feature: 1.Right-click My Computer, and then click Manage.

2.Click Services and Applications.
3.Double-click Services.
4.In the Services list, right-click SSDP Discovery Service, and then click Properties.
5.On the General tab, in the Startup type drop-down list, click Disabled.
6.Click OK.

Note When SSDP Discovery service is disabled, new devices on the network cannot be found automatically.

More Information:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;841571

Brad
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 70
Posted:6/20/2009 1:55:00 AM # 5
We've discussed this several times here....

Try the "Ostuni Workaround"
Details at:
http://winhlp.com/node/16

amham
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 7
Posted:6/21/2009 12:07:00 AM # 6
"Ostuni Workaround" worked for me.  It now appears I added my Newtwork places a few weeks ago and this led to the missing battery and sound icon.  They are now back.  Thanks!

Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: HHC New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.