ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Eee Family > Eee PC 701SD/Linux  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]USB wireless modem New Topic
Gaily
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:5/31/2009 1:28:00 PM # 1
I recently purchased a Blink USB wireless modem to use with my Eee pc, only to find Linux doesn't recognise the modem. Does anyone out there know of a solution or a patch to fix this problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
k24
Webmaster
Level :
Tech Points : 134
Posted:6/1/2009 4:00:00 PM # 2
Some external device may not fit the Linux Eee PC.

Brig
Level :
Posted:7/10/2009 2:14:00 PM # 3
Yesterday I purchased a 701SD Eee pc to use with my Dodo USB wireless modem only to find that linux wouldn't initially recognise the modem via "wireless networks" icon. I had to install the modem via the "network" icon inside the "Internet" tab. I finally have the modem installed but it fails to connect to the internet. Does this mean it is incompatible with linux? Any suggestions?

Lerminiaux
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 8
Posted:7/11/2009 1:42:00 AM # 4

check if there is not a module.  Install ndiswrapper and use the driver for windows.

Brig
Level :
Posted:7/31/2009 2:41:00 PM # 5
I had no success at getting Linux to recognise my HUAWEI e160e modem supplied by Dodo. On checking with Dodo they advised that the modem was incompatible with Linux. I had successfully used the HUAWEI modem with windows XP home SP3 on my desktop machine, so I got my friendly tech-head to install Windows XP SP2 to the 701SD according to the instructions that come with the notebook. Amazingly there was no problem in recognising the modem and I was able to configure the set up in about 5 minutes. My advice is to change to XP as the operating system - well worth it.

Gaily
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:1/16/2010 7:30:00 AM # 6

I actually ended up doing the same. I ended up buying a Dodo wireless modem and had the same problem, so I gave up and bought a copy of WINDOWS XP, expensive little venture in the long run, but less headaches...

JoeF
Level :
Tech Points : 285
Posted:1/16/2010 10:29:00 AM # 7
Unfortunately, some vendors are still behind the times and don't understand that they are losing a valuable part of the market for not supporting Linux.
Vendors in the US have pretty much all seen the light, and most here provide drivers for Linux.
Vendors in other parts of the world may still be behind on that.  But there is progress, e.g., with the south-east Asian manufacturers.

Black EeePC 900, Linux (Easy Peasy 1.5), and an assortment of other Linux and Unix systems. Running Slackware Linux since 1993. Developing software under Windows and Linux.
Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.