Join member

ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Notebook > N51Vf  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]Keyboard/Touchpad Problems New Topic
Anonymous
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:5/31/2009 7:30:00 AM # 1
I'm finding myself somewhat frustrated with the Asus N51Vf laptop's keyboard.

It started with the default install of Vista 32-bit home and the keyboard dropping every 10th character or so. As a touch-typist this was completely unacceptable rendering the computer largely useless. The regrettable thing is that I also have an Asus N10Jc with Ubuntu 32-bit installed on it and that has the same keyboard issues.

I upgraded the BIOS. Better but still dropping keyboard strokes from time to time.

I wrote to Asus tech support who recommended I removed the Synaptics touchpad driver and reboot. I did. Keyboard magically worked - NO lost keystrokes.

However NOW the touchpad is driverless and each time I accidently bump it with my palm when typing the mouse pointer moves (as the touchpad registers a "click"). There's no way to turn off the clicking behaviour of the the touch pad. Now I could always turn the touchpad off in the BIOS but I actually like having the touchpad when I am moving around.

I'm going to try install the latest Synaptics touchpad driver from the support site (dated around 20 April 2009) but I'm not holding my breath.

This keyboard/touchpad issue has had me swearing frequently since I bought this laptop.

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Anonymous
Level :
Posted:5/31/2009 8:24:00 AM # 2
Okay, I re-installed the synaptics touchpad driver version v12.2.3

I think I know what the problem is.

For whatever reason keys get lost when, on occasion, there is simultaneous activity on the touchpad. Unfortunately for me this means I have to keep my wrists in the air when I type, not slouched over the laptop frame as I type because this involves a lot of unintended bumping of the touchpad.

I think this is a serious issue.. perhaps it is a driver issue whereby touchpad event processing is not handled quick enough to permit the keyboard driver a chance to process interrupts. Perhaps (and I think more likely) it is a BIOS issue along the same lines (because this issue affects several ASUS laptop variants).

Unfortunately until this gets resolved I will be forced to recommend friends that they consider other brands of laptops. I/O is a primary function of a PC and the ASUS brand is being found wanting in this department.

Slawson
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:6/3/2009 6:25:00 PM # 3
I also have this problem with my N51Vf. It's annoying. Vista32, Windows7 64bit RC-1, doesn't matter. Synaptics driver version is also irrelevant, all of them have this problem on this machine.

There are two solutions, neither of which are really acceptable.

First, is to just disable your touchpad in the bios, and use a USB mouse. Right, just thought I'd get the stupid solution out of the way.

Next, is simply to uninstall the synaptics touchpad driver completely, and then reboot. The default windows mouse driver will install, and the problem will be gone. Of course, you lose the ability to configure the touchpad in any way. You also don't have the accidental click detection(from your palm hitting the touchpad) while you are typing. So, in order to get by that you...

Disable the touchpad in the bios.

Seeing a pattern here? Yeah, thought so.

Anyway, I've been through a variety of troubleshooting options, including a ton of windows reinstalls, different driver versions, and so forth. I'm also running the latest bios for the laptop as of 03/2009. The above two solutions have been the only 100% working ones.

Sometimes it is more noticeable then others. Often with configuring the touchpad driver in various ways, you can lower how often it polls for events. This does *not* get rid of the problem, but it does lessen it.

Also, when the machine is under a more intense load(like say, playing World of Warcraft) it's much, much more apparent. When word processing, it's sometimes easy at first to mistake it for your own typing errors. That doesn't last long however, as you realize you're not actually *that* bad at typing.

Anyway, I'm also very disappointed in what should be a really basic, standard feature. I would also advise friends/family at this point to possibly hold off on Asus laptop purchases until this is *actually* resolved.

Keller
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:11/11/2009 8:31:00 AM # 4
Same problem (Vista 32)
Until now I couldn't resolve this problem as well. The best way really seems to be to disable the touch pad in BIOS and uninstall the Synaptics driver (which seems to cause the problem). Other solutions do not work (update driver, bios, reg-entries, disable features, etc...).
If you guys meanwhile found any solution, I'll be glad to know. It's good to know that the problem also seems to appear under Windows7 though, so there is no need to upgrade.

btw, the N51Vf is not the only ASUS notebook with this keyboard lag. There are many more (i.e the M50 series). You will find a whole discussion about it if you google it.
It's surprising that the problem doesn't seem to be taken seriously.

id
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:6/16/2010 7:22:00 AM # 5
TAGS: Model U50F E Lan Touch Pad Cursor Mouse AC  Battery charge electrical power

This is a serious issue! It affects usability of the notebook. If I wanted something with such poor control over the cursor when plugged in I would have bought a dell made in the 90s with the little keypad mouse control for a far more reasonable price (albeit used)

When the notebook is in AC mode the touch pad does not work correctly.

If I am grounded (while holding a ground wire or large piece of metal and sometimes if my I touch the bottom of the notebook) the cursor works fine. It also works fine while on battery.

I Believe there may be a grounding or electrical issue at hand with the ASUS notebooks. I experience the problem at any power source I use (I have tried over 8 different power sources at different locations and businesses and still have the same issue)

If you are holding any static or on thick carpet the issue seems to be worse.

aj
Level :
Posted:8/2/2010 11:53:00 PM # 6
I just thought I would add to the discussion. I believe that the problem is a design flaw in the ASUS laptop's touchpad and case. For some reason a certain pressure threshold activate the touchpad even when no pressure on the pad is present. Many people think you "accidentally" brushed it but this is not so. Yesterday I was in a store and practiced typing on several different models and brands. The SONY Vaio doesn't have this problem. HP and ASUS do however. I will not buy an asus for this reason. Disabling the touchpad is not a real fix.

Posted:11/22/2010 1:16:00 PM # 7
I have the same problem with the touchpad not working with world of warcrafts. Great laptop other wise. [ Asus G73JW-A1 ] Please keep us updated if you hear anything, Thanks

Hugo_Rune
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 3
Posted:3/4/2011 6:19:00 PM # 8
Can confirm this issue on Asus K170C as well (keys X, C, V do not work when touchpad enabled or brushed or even stared at). Gnnnnnh hard to work without ctrl+c and v and x

:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: MCZ New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :