Join member

ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Motherboard > P6T Deluxe  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]What drivers do i need? New Topic
diox
Level :
Tech Points : 35
Posted:5/31/2009 7:20:00 AM # 1
okay im kinda confused about this. what drivers do i need to download to have SATA as AHCI or RAID? and what chipset drivers or software do i need? i say this because i dont know whether to download from here or from the intel website, everyone is doing their own thing, i want a clear answer to this. the chipset software here is different than the one found in the intel website, why?

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Ulrich
Level :
Tech Points : 18327
Posted:5/31/2009 10:30:00 AM # 2
Hi d...

Asus doesn't always keep drivers updated but what they do list will work fine....

Chipset Inf versions have very minor differences but I'd suggest that you download the software from Intel...

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Product_Filter.aspx?ProductID=816

If you want Matrix RAID...

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Product_Filter.aspx?ProductID=2101

Beyond this, all you really need is video..... although sound and LAN are nice to have.  The drivers from Asus should work OK for those controllers.

There are 10 kinds of people in the World...Those who understand binary, and those who dont!
Smith
Level :
Tech Points : 444
Posted:5/31/2009 4:32:00 PM # 3
If you want SATA as AHCI/RAID mode, remember to press F6 to load AHCI/RAID driver during OS installation:
http://dlsvr.asus.com/pub/ASUS/misc/sata/ICH10R_AHCIRAID_Driver_XPVista.zip

diox
Level :
Posted:5/31/2009 11:33:00 PM # 4
but there is a problem with that. look at the chipset section of the Asus drivers and you will see it got version  9.1.0.1007 but the intel one got version 9.0.0.1008.  

i think the one at ASUS is more recent if im not wrong.

the intel readme file says: 

*  Product: Intel(R) Chipset Device Software
* Release: Production Version
* Version: 9.0.0.1008
* Target Chipset#: Intel(R) 4 Series Chipset
* Date: May 01 2008

but the ASUS one says:

* Product: Intel(R) Chipset Device Software
* Release: Production Version
* Version: 9.1.0.1007
* Target Chipset#: 5520/5500/X58
* Date: August 19 2008

Tech Points : 180
Posted:5/31/2009 11:49:00 PM # 5
The newest version I've seen is 9.1.1.1011:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&Inst=Yes&ProductID=2867&DwnldID=17650&strOSs=All&OSFullName=Alle%20Betriebssysteme&lang=eng

(link may wrap)

That said, there's probably not much point in getting the absolute latest. I doubt that the actual drivers would be newer than some of the other recent installers.

My desktop machine is running Win7 beta. The main advantage that I'ver seen to the newer chipset software packages is that they will install easily on Win7, while the older ones didn't recognize the OS. (There were work-arounds for that, but there's no need with the more recent versions.)

I haven't used the Intel Matrix drivers (RAID or AHCI), or the ones for the Marvell SAS and IDE ports.

Ulrich
Level :
Posted:5/31/2009 11:50:00 PM # 6
Hi d...

Intel has recommended a newer version of the chipset inf for the Asus P6T Deluxe... the one on the Asus site..  So that would be the one to use...  Thankyou for pointing this out....

Motherboard manufacturer Asus* P5E3 Premium board Asus P5E3 Premium board Asus* P6T Deluxe Asus P6T Deluxe
Chipset Intel® X48 Express Chipset Intel X48 Express Chipset Intel® X58 Express Chipset Intel X58 Express Chipset
Chipset INF file Intel® INF 8.4.0.1016 Intel® INF 9.1.0.1006 Intel INF 9.1.0.1007 Intel® INF 9.1.0.1007

http://www.intel.com/performance/desktop/consumer_spec_config.htm

There are 10 kinds of people in the World...Those who understand binary, and those who dont!
diox
Level :
Posted:6/1/2009 12:07:00 AM # 7
oh okay i also assumed at first that the intel site would have the latest. 
and bobkn: the link you posted is for Intel® Server System S7000FC4UR, i think.

Ulrich
Level :
Posted:6/1/2009 3:10:00 AM # 8
Right, d... 

You would assume that all X58 boards are the same but apparently there are some subtle differences among the various X58 boards on the market.  The 'generic' Inf dated 2008 apparently will work fine but there are apparently better versions of the Inf specific to certain boards and that have been made available to the various mainboard manufacturers.  Might be interesting to see what Gigabyte, EVGA and MSI have available for their X58 boards. 

And then it may be that Intel is not up to date...  when you select your OS, you get  the 9.0.0.1008 version and if you look at the release notes, the X58 is not mentioned. 

Tech Points : 180
Posted:6/1/2009 11:37:00 AM # 9
From the readme file of the version I linked to: * Product: Intel(R) Chipset Device Software * Release: Production Candidate * Version: 9.1.1.1011 * Target Chipset#: Intel(R) 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset. * Also supports 5000/7000/5500/X58 Series Chipsets * Date: April 09 2009

diox
Level :
Posted:6/8/2009 3:50:00 AM # 10
after installing win 7 and using the chipset driver in the asus page, i can say that win 7 doesnt really need it. the installer said finished installation without showing any files being copied.

Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.