SEARCH
ASUS Member ID
Password
Forgot password?
Join member

ASUS Support Home Location : Forum  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]A8N-LA Nagami Motherboard not listed here. Need most current BIOS for this board. New Topic
BarJabba
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:5/25/2009 11:20:00 AM # 1
I am looking for the A8N-LA by AsusTek.  It isn't listed when searching on Asus.  This is the motherboard that the Compaq Presario SR1820NX has in it.  Serial# is listed as CNH6101N7V, which is probably the HP/Compaq number, not the motherboard.

I need the actual latest BIOS for this board.  HP has a very limited older version offered to it customers.  I am no longer caring about their warrenty fear tactics.  I am a experience builder and want to get the dual core(AMD X2) working properly and thier BIOS has no Hyper-threading switch/option for me to activa in the BIOS(unless it is somewhere not so noticable).  I would like full use and reign of my motherboard, so, I also seek specs, manuals, and utilities for this board.

Is there an archive of the things I need to obtain?  I know it might be an older motherboard, but, Asus should have all the stuff on the legacy boards.  The board is still very useable board.  I won't be ready to change out the board, CPU, and RAM until December of this year(2009).  So, any direction, help, or even some good advice, would really be appretiated.

Thank you,
Ben

BIOS: Pheonix 3.11 Date: 09-19-2006
MB: A8N-LA NAGAMI
PRODUCER/OEM: HP/Compaq

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Computer Geek since 1983. Deveoper in VB6/VB.NET/SQL2005. Last career assihment: UPS Teleservices. Devout/Plain Clothes/Non-Denominational Christian. Love to discuss all things Tech and Politics. Movies: Sci-Fi Acion, Comedies(no a lot of profanity). My Vietnamese wife of 16 years.
Colgan
Level :
Posted:1/7/2010 1:14:00 PM # 2
I have the same issue that I need the latest BIOS for this same board.  Mine is corrupt and so I need to flash the current version.  I have the same model number too.

Thanks,

Darin

aairon
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 470
Posted:1/7/2010 1:30:00 PM # 3
That  is not supported by ASUS in any way shape or form. there are many OEM boards that ASUS does not support made for HP, Compaq, etc.....
these boards are not recognized by ASUS support. any updates or help you need for them is only officially supplied by the re-brander IE, Compaq.
If they have no bios you are stuck. This doesn't help you at all but it should be a lesson to NEVER buy a preassembled computer from some OEM like HP etc..... they have a vested interest in keeping you from updating the product[to sell you the new model] and that is why they go out of their way to have "special" one off boards made for that very purpose.
Sorry about the bad news.
Having said that there are boards that are VERY close and I have heard of a couple of people using bios for another board with some recoding, but that's for very advanced folks who know how to change check sums etc....and if you are at that level you wouldn't be here.
Good luck.

P.S. for all intents and purposes it is NOT an ASUS board but a board from HP or Compaq as that is your ONLY avenue of support or Non support lol.

Mobo P5GC-MX/1333, Core2 Duo E7400 @3.633ghz, original 2.8ghz, 38c at idle, Stock intel P-4 cooler, Bios clock set@346 1.384ghz FSB, Patriot mem 6400EL 800 mhz@865 mhz 2 X 2gig, EVGA GTX-285-OC, Vista ultimate 32 svc pk2, Bios V.410 old retired Marine electrical engineer.
Colgan
Level :
Posted:1/8/2010 5:49:00 AM # 4
Thanks for the information...I guess for me if I'm going to label a product with my name on it I would then support it to some degree... otherwise I would build the product and not put my name on it....They are proud enough to print their logo and name on the board in big bold letters but not proud to offer any support? 

I guess for me it's kind of an advertisement gimmick that really doesn't work...you build the board, you put the your name on it for advertisement....then you don't support any part of it...then you tell them the same thing that you are saying HP, Compaq etc say....but...we have a new model that will work better....

I can buy this same board from various places on the net and they never tell you that this is only for HP...and so you get a false sense of comfort that it's made by ASUS.  

So when is a ASUS board really an ASUS board?

aairon
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 470
Posted:1/8/2010 10:37:00 PM # 5
The board is very well hidden inside a box, A box that is marketed to folks who Have no remote idea what's inside the box protecting it.
Those types of computers were NEVER intended to be used by anyone who is serious about computers, they are for appliance operators like a refrigerator or microwave oven. They are basically sold as a FINAL product with the ONLY upgrade path from the OEM. One needs to be realistic about that. To lash out at ASUS for supplying boards for folks like HP is sort of pointless. Intel also does the same thing they have their name on many boards, but they do not have any provisions to support them, that is solely the responsibility of the OEM. Your beef is with Compaq/HP not a component manufacture. If a capacitor fails on your mother board do you complain to the capacitor manufacture? I think not. you would complain to the Mobo Mfg, right?. Sorry about your predicament but as you gain more experience you will find that ALL preassembled Compaq, HP, DELL, E-machines Etc.... are for appliance operators who are computer ignorant.
That is not to be taken as an insult, but brutal honesty.
You Cannot buy that board from ASUS!
All sorts of strange things can be purchased on the "net"

P.S. an ASUS board is an ASUS board when ASUS actually offers it for sale to you, the public!

P.P.S. after doing more research I've found that the mobo mfg's actually enter into a contractual agreement with the OEM that prevents the mobo MFG from providing direct support to the end user. This is a demand made by the OEM = HP, COMPAQ ETC...

Mobo P5GC-MX/1333, Core2 Duo E7400 @3.633ghz, original 2.8ghz, 38c at idle, Stock intel P-4 cooler, Bios clock set@346 1.384ghz FSB, Patriot mem 6400EL 800 mhz@865 mhz 2 X 2gig, EVGA GTX-285-OC, Vista ultimate 32 svc pk2, Bios V.410 old retired Marine electrical engineer.
Doug
Level :
Tech Points : 2
Posted:2/17/2010 3:10:00 AM # 6
I have had the exact same problem with attempting to get a BIOS flash utility for this motherboard:

Asus A8N-LA Rev. 2.0 Nagami2-GL8e motherboard

HP Part #5188-5067

Tattooed with the Compaq logo. 

BIOS Phoenix 3.11 Core Version 6.0 Date 09-19-2006
Compaq Presario Model SR1950NX.

What happened with mine is that the system block of the BIOS locked up and will only start the Optical Disk drive and the Hard Drive and will not start the display, keyboard and mouse or operating system, so I am locked out of my computer indefinitely.  Using the jumper pin settings to clear the CMOS did not do anything for it.  When the BIOS block locks it needs to be flashed.  With my old Compaq Deskpro computer I was able to actually go to the HP web page for it and download a utility that would allow me to create a flash disk that I would put in the drive and reboot the computer into the BIOS with and it would restore the core firmware for the motherboard and I was back up an running better than ever.

Contacting HP all they could tell me is to look on the drivers and downloads page for my computer at their web site to see if there is a BIOS update for it and there was not and they could not offer me any further help, -even after contacting their Executive Customer Relations office in Palo Alto, California.

Finally having gone the gambit and eventually giving up hope of ever being able to use this motherboard again I surrendered to purchasing an exact replacement from a reseller (HP no longer sells motherboards), witch ran me 157.00. 

Here's the kicker;  When I received the motherboard it was exactly the same everything matched and I successfully installed it into my computer and viola! when I started it up it was tattooed with the blue HP Invent logo, -obviously they used this M-b for various other models, and when I had placed the fist of the 2-disk set of recovery disks into it I received a message on a black screen telling me that these disks were not for this system.  So I contacted Phoenix Technologies who creates the BIOS program for it and they also neglect responsibility telling me that they only provide the source code for the BIOS and that it is customized by the computer manufacturer and that if I needed any further assistance I would have to contact HP.  Contacting HP they informed me that because the BIOS is encoded for an HP computer the recovery disks will not recognize the source code and allow me to continue with with recovery process.

Fortunately the reseller of the board was willing to accept a return for the m-b and issue me a full refund minus the original postage paid and the postage to return it which came to $22 altogether.  I then re-searched for another board with an internet search engine and came upon other resellers and contacted them directly and asked if the ones they had were tattooed for Compaq and one affirmed me that they are, so I purchased yet another board, this one wasn't as expensive, I was able to purchase it through eBay and speak with the seller directly who confirmed that it would be tattooed for Compaq and it was actually $25 less.

Upon receiving the m-b I once again successfully installed it with no problem and when I powered it up it did actually have the red Compaq logo just like the original that came with my computer.  So I thought, great! this is going to work...  Again after having inserted the first recovery disk into the drive and rebooting from that drive I received the same message telling me that these disks were not for this system.  After countless frustrating hours on the phone with HP, Phoenix, Asus, and the reseller of the board I had to again surrender to the fact that I was not going to be able to use my recovery disks for my computer and that I would have to use a stand alone Windows installation disk to get an operating system on it.  Fortunately I had an older OEM version of XP Pro that came with my office computer when it was new that they IT guy gave to me and was able to use it to get my computer back up and running again.

I have since returned the first m-b that was tattooed with HP Invent and am still awaiting the resellers credit management services to post the refund to my Visa, -it's been more than a week.

What I have learned from all this, and like the previous poster mentioned, I am not going to buy another OEM computer or one that has a software build, I think that I will now just buy everything separately and build it myself from the bezel up since I already have the chassis, drives, RAM etc.  If I need a new motherboard I will buy one that includes the utilities to flash the BIOS and will install my own operating system.  Seems that HP, Compaq etc are more concerned with protecting software than the integrity of their hardware otherwise they would not have protected the BIOS with a source code without making available the necessary tools to recover it's firmware.

My suggestion to the original author of this thread is to get on to Asus and make them tell you where the SPI header or JTAG is and how to set the jumper pins to recover the BIOS.  The BIOS chip for this motherboard is near to where the power supply plugs into it and has a sticker on it (in my computer it's mint green and say's something like NagaB 3.08), it's about a half inch by three quarters of an inch and is soldered onto the PC board so it cannot be removed or replaced as with others.  See this link:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v622/douginri/100_2678b.jpg

Normally, when the board is manufactured with a soldered BIOS chip that cannot be replaced it has it's own recovery mode sort of like with the software build when you use the recovery partition to restore you hard drive back to it's original software setup with the recovery partition, the BIOS has it's own recovery and if you reposition the jumper pins on the SPI header it should trigger this recovery.  See this link:Since I have been exhausted to the point of surrendering to the purchase of a new board I have not gone this far yet.  The JTAG pin setting is not the same as the CMOS pin setting, you need to make that clear and that you need to know what the JTAG pin setting is to trigger the recovery of the BIOS core.  Eventually, when I have more time I will try to find that out on my own if someone hasn't already posted it here.

Best,

Doug in Rhodes Island

Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.