SEARCH
ASUS Member ID
Password
Forgot password?
Join member

ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Notebook > G50Vt  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Sharing]The Windows 7 RC on a fresh partition experience (drivers, asus, hotkeys, etc) New Topic
mjmacky
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 63
Posted:5/15/2009 12:17:00 PM # 1
So I wanted to start a thread that focused solely on addressing immediate issues when installing Windows RC 7 on a fresh partition (i.e. not upgrading).  In this case I'm specifically referring to Build 7100.  This is quite different than installing W7 beta over your Vista installation.  So I decided to outline some tips and address some obstacles I found during the installation.

Preparatory:

- It's always good to make a back up image of your Windows installation.  If you don't have Ultimate or greater, then maybe go with a free one, I used Macrium's Reflect free version.

- Save EVERY driver package available on the ASUS website.  Unzip each of them to their own folder, and put that on a storage medium that you can easily access from your new installation.  Even if you are doing an x64 installation, it's a good idea to grab a few missing items from the 32 (x86) bit version part of the site as well.  This includes drivers and apps (just the apps that you liked on your OEM version.

- Save everything you want to move over to your W7 installation to a .MIG (mine was around 5 GB) file using Windows Easy Transfer.  You might also want to make copies of your AppData\Roaming & AppData\Local file for settings on your other programs.  That should take care of transferring the bulk of your customization

- Make a sizable partition to your desire or use a 2nd drive and install Windows 7 RC on it.

After W7 RC Install:

- You can do your initial setup like lowering or disabling UAC, downloading updates, and transferring your settings by simply double clicking on your MIG file.  You can also copy your AppData settings over so that your customizations for individual programs will be there when you install them (i.e. Firefox, uTorrent, etc.).

- Go to Device Manager and update any UNKNOWN DEVICE drivers by having it search your main folder that contains all of the driver folders you downloaded before.  This should knock them out for the most part.  Specifically, I had to manually load drivers for 2 RICOH ATA/ATAPI controllers and the Intel Driver for the IR receiver (ITECIR).

Problems:

- If you want the Asus specific features to work, like Hotkey and Function buttons, you need to install ATK_Hotkey, ATKDrv, AGFNEX (a service), and Direct Console.  As of this moment, ALL of these features are working for me, my task list shows the following Asus processes are running ATKOSD, ATKOSD2, Atouch64, DCHelper, Direct Console, DMedia, GFNEXSrv, HControl (not HControlUser), and WDC, which are all running in 32 bit mode.  Also, if you are using Power4Gear power management settings (w/ Hot Key as well) you'll need to install that too.  If any processes are missing from task list, then you can add them to start up in the Registry HKLM\SOFTWARE\WOW6432NODE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\RUN using similar syntax as other entries.

- If you want any functionality out of your Touch Pad you need to install that from Asus as well (it's a Synaptics CP and driver).

- I had an issue where the touchpad wasn't working at all during the early phase when I didn't have the proper drivers loaded (coincidence?) with a return error of "device could not be started code 10", in which a reboot restored functionality.  Once I addressed all problems, I've had quite a few restarts and the touchpad hasn't stopped working again.

- My graphics driver was the one provided from Windows Update, and it's been working fine so far, I haven't pushed it with HD video or anything though.  I'm still holding out before I call that one a success.

Closing Notes:

I tried to cover everything, this is all of the top of my head so it's very possible I missed something, no biggie it's the first post in the topic.  Let's get some feedback going, I'm so sick of Vista.

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Desktop: Asus M4A78T-E MB, AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE processor, 4 GB Corsair RAM Laptop: ASUS G50vt-X5
mjmacky
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:5/15/2009 2:13:00 PM # 2
Wow it hasn't even been 12 hours and I got my first blue screen of death, though it appears to be a persistent problem that came from Vista

Desktop: Asus M4A78T-E MB, AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE processor, 4 GB Corsair RAM Laptop: ASUS G50vt-X5
LeMMiNGS
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 159
Posted:5/15/2009 11:25:00 PM # 3

Quote:
Author: mjmacky Posted: 5/15/2009 2:13:00 PM

Wow it hasn't even been 12 hours and I got my first blue screen of death, though it appears to be a persistent problem that came from Vista

Isn't it supposed to be a hardware problem? What was the message you got?

Mine is running Rock Stable and Heart Touching for days! =D

Proud owner of an Asus G2S Notebook! Rocking with Windows 7! Core2Duo 2.2Ghz, OCZ 4Gb RAM, HITACHI 200Gb 7200rpm, Intel WiFi Link 4965AGN, Microsoft Wireless Laser Mouse 8000, Zalman NC-2000, Lapped Heatpipes and with some ArticSilver 5. Is it a Lamborghini or an Airplane?
Mufson
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 0
Posted:5/16/2009 3:17:00 PM # 4
Thanks for the instructions. You need to have Hcontrol turned on to be able to use the lit keys and such, that helped alot. Thank you.

mjmacky
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:5/18/2009 5:02:00 AM # 5

Quote:
Author: LeMMiNGS Posted: 5/15/2009 11:25:00 PM

Quote:
Author: mjmacky Posted: 5/15/2009 2:13:00 PM

Isn't it supposed to be a hardware problem? What was the message you got?

Mine is running Rock Stable and Heart Touching for days! =D

I don't think it's necessarily a hardware problem, it's an issue related to my wireless adapter, which I dedicated a thread to it.  It happened and Vista, and now happens in W7.  I'll link the thread below:

BSOD

DuPont
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:5/20/2009 9:09:00 PM # 6
This is a GREAT thread, thank you so much for posting!

sirenyard
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:5/27/2009 4:06:00 PM # 7
Thanks for the info Mj,

I have had pretty good sucess with Win7 so far, though there are a few issues with the backlit blue "touch keys" right above the keyboard. I will go through your steps with hopes to solve the problem. 

Also, anyone here having problems with the G50 going to sleep mode in Win7? Everytime I let my laptop go to sleep on its own, I have significant problems with it afterwards, (e.g. not waking back up, or locking up once it has woken up) 

I'm just hoping that Asus makes a few updated drivers for Win7 eventually, the G50 is not outdated yet, and deserves the attention.

Dubois
Level :
Posted:5/27/2009 6:00:00 PM # 8
Hi,

I have win7

I can't install ATKDrv 32 or 64, the installation fails, and I can't find where downloading direct console.
My FN key doesn't work at all.
I have a X5AVn, there are blue touch keys, there don't work neither.

What can I do?

mjmacky
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:5/29/2009 3:02:00 PM # 9
I don't remember having any issues with ATKDrv, but make sure you are downloading one that's consistent with your operating system and processor, in the case with the G50Vt-X5 it's 64 bit.  I don't know what X5AVn is, but if you're looking where to download direct console, I find it under Utilities --> Direct Message and Direct Flash Utility on the Asus Driver download page for your laptop and OS.

Quote:
Author: Dubois Posted: 5/27/2009 6:00:00 PM

Hi,

I have win7

I can't install ATKDrv 32 or 64, the installation fails, and I can't find where downloading direct console.
My FN key doesn't work at all.
I have a X5AVn, there are blue touch keys, there don't work neither.

What can I do?

mjmacky
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:5/29/2009 3:05:00 PM # 10
I have put my computer to sleep before but it wakes up without any issue, in fact the only issues I ever have under Win7 is the wireless adapter.  It could be related to one of your drivers (perhaps the display adapter) or your power management settings.

Quote:
Author: sirenyard Posted: 5/27/2009 4:06:00 PM

Thanks for the info Mj,

I have had pretty good sucess with Win7 so far, though there are a few issues with the backlit blue "touch keys" right above the keyboard. I will go through your steps with hopes to solve the problem. 

Also, anyone here having problems with the G50 going to sleep mode in Win7? Everytime I let my laptop go to sleep on its own, I have significant problems with it afterwards, (e.g. not waking back up, or locking up once it has woken up) 

I'm just hoping that Asus makes a few updated drivers for Win7 eventually, the G50 is not outdated yet, and deserves the attention.

1 2  Next  Last
Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: MCZ New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.