ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Eee Family > Eee PC 1000HE  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Sharing]Win7 Install Notes 3: fixing the igfxext error New Topic
Michael
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 52
Posted:5/2/2009 4:37:00 AM # 1
OK, you followed my earlier instructions, and now every time you reboot you get the error:

EeePC Tray Utility
Intel igfxext.exe is not running
Disable Dispaly Switch hot key

and/or

Asus ACPI Service
Intel igfxext.exe not running.
Display switch hot key is void.

The fix is a little complicated, but here it is:
  1. download Intel driver from
    http://downloadmirror.intel.com/16312/a08/winvista_1583.exe
  2. run it using "compatibility mode"
    • Right-click on the program, select "Properties"
    • Click on the "Compatibility" tab
    • Click on the "Run this program in compatibility for" box
    • The drop-down list should say "Windows XP (Service Pakc 3)
    • Click "OK"
    • Double-click the program to run it.
  3. Ignore error about it being an older version than your current one
  4. If screen goes black and stays black, wait a few minutes and then force a shutdown
  5. start up normally
  6. uninstall the Intel driver
    • Click on the "Start" button
    • Right-click on "Computer"
    • Select "Manage
    • Click on "Device Manager"
    • Click the little triangle next to "Display adapters"
    • Right-click on the device, and select "Uninstall"
    • Make SURE you check the "Remove Driver" box
    • After the driver is uninstalled (and your screen looks ugly), re-boot
  7. Use Windows Update to install the optional updated driver, or your screen will continue to look ugly.

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
L
Level :
Tech Points : 2
Posted:5/17/2009 2:41:00 PM # 2
I tried your instructions out and followed them to a "t."  I still get this error.  What do I do now?

L
Level :
Tech Points : 2
Posted:5/18/2009 9:24:00 AM # 3
I ended up removing the ASTRAY from startup by going to Start -> Misconfig -> Startup and then uncheck Astray.

Michael
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 52
Posted:5/22/2009 7:22:00 AM # 4
Sorry, I was on vacation and didn't see your post. Glad you found a workaround (of sorts).

All I can say is that it worked for me, but it IS an ugly procedure. I found it in various forms, on various forums, and tested it twice (wiping and re-installing Windows 7 both times) to be sure I got it right.

Can anyone else comment on whether or not it worked for them?

Don
Level :
Tech Points : 0
Posted:5/22/2009 3:34:00 PM # 5
Michael, thanks for your excellent tips on installing Windows 7.  I followed your instructions and they worked 100%, including the work-around above.  I was actually quite surprised that Win7 runs better than WinXP.  As an example, in WinXP MAME would run Donkey Kong and Frogger at approx 80% speed and there were some severe sound issues.  In Windows 7 they run at 100% with absolutely no sound issues at all.  This was with the default options as I was just messing around.

I would say to anyone on the fence about installing Win7 to give it a try.

One thing I did in addition to the steps you've outlined is install updated bluetooth drivers.  I don't really need it at the moment but I saw a thread here where connecting to a phone via bluetooth was causing issues.  The Win7 RC Broadcom bluetooth drivers can be found here.

GP
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 35
Posted:6/11/2009 2:44:00 PM # 6
Hey guys, may not be of great help but I am very happy to report that my 1000HE is running W7 out of the box with no fuss whatsoever.

Bought it in the USA (blue), simply changed the power (figure 8) cable and bought a Kingston DDR2 800 2GB sodimm and all was ok under XP Home.

Had the official W7 RC release from MS website on a USB stick and after formatting partition D installed W7 from the stick within XP and in a matter of minutes it was up and running.

I have not encountered any errors whatsoever, all functions appear to work normally, the track pad is responsive but I do not all the settings available under XP as there is no "track pad" icon in the tray.  ACPI seems installed ok and most function keys work except the wireless on/off (Fn+F2)

In device manager all seems installed properly except one "unknown device".  BT new BroadCom driver for W7 RC installed succesfully but in Device Manager while the BT adapter and Enumerator are correctly installed, some other BT Peripheral Devices (3) are still listed with an exclamation mark.

At this point, whislt very happy with it all, I suspect the "unknown device" is the Super Hybrid Engine and cannot seem to find a solution; I read some one used Vista drivers, but I cannot even find those...

Main Rig: P8Z68-V Pro BIOS 3304, i5-2500K@4.3GHz, 16GB PC3-12800CL9, Antec HCP-750, 2 x 560GT 1GB in SLI + iPad 3 16GB
lai
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 199
Posted:6/11/2009 3:45:00 PM # 7
try installing the acpi driver, I think it's the unknown device. kms

Asus Champagne S101H 320HDD Gskill DDR2 667 2GB Ram Windows 7 Ultimate 32 Bit Asus Silver 1201N 64GB SLC SSD Elpida DDR2 800 8GB Ram Windows 7 Home Premuim 64 Bit Lenovo Black 410A 320HDD Qimonda DDR2 800 8GB Ram Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit
GP
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 35
Posted:6/13/2009 10:31:00 PM # 8

Quote:
Author: lai Posted: 6/11/2009 3:45:00 PM

try installing the acpi driver, I think it's the unknown device. kms

Champ! You are correct and yes, installed the acpi asus driver and solved the "unknown device" problem.

Now I have the same error described by the OP and I am going to try the work around he suggested... fingers crossed.

Thanks!

PS Every start up, after a few minutes W7 gives me an Action Center error message regarding the power management system, inviting me to download and install the driver from the Asus website.  If I do, all works well until the next restart, when it all happens again!

Any ideas?

OK Final update: I re-installed the Asus ACPI driver (W7 points you to the one for the 1000HD but seems to work fine) and all is well.

As per the original suggestion to fix the igfx error, guess what, I followed the OP instructions but I DID NOT UNINSTALL the older Vista driver and everything works perfectly!!

The screen is the native resolution and all the function buttons work properly, even the silver one for resolution changes cycles through the various options correctly and I am not getting any error messages!!!

Will keep you posted if anything changes, but I suspect the Intel Vista driver is more suited to W7 than the one that comes with the eeePC.  Which makes sense since W7 is based on the Vista kernel more so than the XP one.

Thanks again to the OP for the great tips and links.

Cheers

GP

Main Rig: P8Z68-V Pro BIOS 3304, i5-2500K@4.3GHz, 16GB PC3-12800CL9, Antec HCP-750, 2 x 560GT 1GB in SLI + iPad 3 16GB
Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.