SEARCH
ASUS Member ID
Password
Forgot password?
Join member

ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Motherboard > Maximus Formula  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Sharing]****************************Bad BIOS Flash and Dead Board Testing. ***** ALL Boards ***** New Topic
zerocool
Level :
Tech Points : 3894
Posted:4/20/2009 10:06:00 PM # 1
On a new build you should clear the CMOS after connecting the bare basics that you will need for the OS install.  You should disable all overclocking and have only one stick of memory installed during OS install also.  For best results you will want to go into BIOS and set your memory sub-timings, voltage, and speed manually to stock manufacturer recommendations.

A dead or weak CMOS battery will cause most boards to seem dead
(example HERE) or act as though it has a mind of its' own.  You cannot test a battery with a multimeter because even a weak battery will test close to spec voltage, so unless you have a battery tester, replace the battery with a new one to see if anything changes.

There's always a posibility that the PSU is incompatible with the video card or the PSU is failing, so borrow another to test with if at all possible.

If you cant get into BIOS then do some testing:
Connect a speaker (like THIS one for example) to the system panel connector so that you can hear the POST beeps.
Disconnect all hardware except main board power connection and the cpu+HSF.
1.)Disconnect the power cord from the PSU and clear the CMOS leaving the battery out and jumper moved for ten minutes (600 seconds).  Now try booting with no memory, but with video card installed--- you should get 'no memory detected' beep code, no beeps at all here means the video card may be faulty
2.) try booting with no video, but with a single stick of memory installed in slot B1 (you can try all slots if no beeps, consult your manual for slot options)---you should get 'no VGA detected' beep code, no beeps at all here means that the memory may be faulty or it may have a conflict with the board---try the other memory sticks now to see if any of them produce beeps
3.) try booting with both the single stick of memory and the video card installed-- you should get a single beep indicating a good POST---if so, go into BIOS and set the memory speed, timings, and voltage manually to manufacturer's specs

If you get no beeps during 2 & 3 then I would suspect the memory.  If no beeps at all then try booting the board from a tabletop, lying the board on cardboard to protect it---this will test for shorts to the case---repeat the above scenarios.  If no beeps or display at all ever then I suspect hardware compatibility, so verify the installed BIOS will support the cpu.  A small list of AMI BIOS beep codes can be found HERE.  Some AWARD BIOS post beep codes can be found HERE.

If you feel that the BIOS is corrupt, you can also try THIS.   Also try naming the file the same as the ".BIN" or ".ROM" file that is in the root directory of the original Asus cd that came with your board.  Don't forget that when using a flash drive for BIOS flashing, it should be formatted as fat32.

You can also try a hard reset.  Unplug the PSU from the wall receptacle and remove CMOS battery, then press the power button on the case for 10 seconds. Replace battery and power cord and see if anything has changed.

If you power the board with no cpu installed it will reset the board to original factory defaults.  Give this a try also.

**One last thing to try is to hold down the "insert" key during post.---new March 2010

If all of this testing has failed and you get no POST beeps during any of this then you should call Asus tech support and suggest an RMA.  Flashing with AsusUpdate may not be covered by warranty, see THIS.

The board may not post until you clear CMOS, especially after a new build.  Clearing CMOS forces the board to scan for connected hardware and update its stored information.

Quote from PETE
"
CMOS holds details of attached hardware while BIOS stores various settings and values that apply to that hardware as well as motherboard settings. If the hardware has changed for any reason, CMOS details will not match the current setup and the BIOS values will no longer apply and will either fail or become unstable. I'd recommend a CMOS reset when installing or changing any hardware that has a BIOS value which covers just about everything short of inserting a neon light."

Clear CMOS:
1.) immediately following a new build, before power is applied
2.) immediately following any hardware change/upgrade
3.) after flashing BIOS

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
*******Bad BIOS Flash and Dead Board Testing. ***** ALL Boards ***** http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20090420211645831&board_id=1&model=Maximus+Formula&page=1&SLanguage=en-us
Bisset
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 0
Posted:4/26/2009 7:20:00 AM # 2
This was very helpful for me. Got a brand new M4N78 SE board, with 2 x 2GB sticks of Kingston RAM. Wouldn't boot - seemed dead, no POST, no BIOS, no display at all. Tried swapping graphics cards, but no display.

Steps 2 and 3 above were crucial in identifying the problem. Just worked through each suggested step checking the POST beep codes - tested with one stick on slot B1 and it booted!

Tried the second stick in B1 and it worked too, but putting either stick in A1 killed the board. All that tech support said was to take the board back to where I bought it, but at least I could tell them what the problem was.

Thanks very much - looks like common sense testing, but my initial thinking was "why should I suspect the motherboard if the display doesn't work"! Always helps to step back and work slowly through all parts from square one. Thanks heaps for this - would give you a thousand points if I could.

PB

mrgerbik
Level :
Tech Points : 62
Posted:4/30/2009 4:53:00 AM # 3
This thread is listed in the Elite Posts.
TY very much for this post -- i had a no post problem after a flash update (to recognize my CPU)...

I would like to add something for anyone still having any issues....

if you are experiencing any issues with display not showing anything, TRY THE VGA PORT instead of the DVI. I couldnt for the life of me figure out what was happeneing -- luckily i had an old 20" CRT laying around so I hooked it to the VGA connector on the mobo and presto -- I could see that the Crash Free system was indeed working but that the BIOS that came with my Mobo was being reported as too old for a recovery.  No problem, I just DL'ed the newest BIOS, copied and renamed it on my USB drive as [moboname].ROM

The recovery worked perfectly.  It was a big PHEW as I just waited 2 weeks for this mobo in the mail and had sold my old computer already -- thanks for the help ASUS.

zerocool
Level :
Posted:4/30/2009 5:04:00 AM # 4

Quote:
Author: mrgerbik Posted: 4/30/2009 4:53:00 AM

TY very much for this post -- i had a no post problem after a flash update (to recognize my CPU)...

I would like to add something for anyone still having any issues....

if you are experiencing any issues with display not showing anything, TRY THE VGA PORT instead of the DVI. I couldnt for the life of me figure out what was happeneing -- luckily i had an old 20" CRT laying around so I hooked it to the VGA connector on the mobo and presto -- I could see that the Crash Free system was indeed working but that the BIOS that came with my Mobo was being reported as too old for a recovery.  No problem, I just DL'ed the newest BIOS, copied and renamed it on my USB drive as [moboname].ROM

The recovery worked perfectly.  It was a big PHEW as I just waited 2 weeks for this mobo in the mail and had sold my old computer already -- thanks for the help ASUS.

This is one of the few times that I have seen someone report that the crashfree fixed their problem.  Usually people fix their system and forget to tell us what happened.  Trying the vga port is something I would not have thought of.

Good work, great info !!!

*******Bad BIOS Flash and Dead Board Testing. ***** ALL Boards ***** http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20090420211645831&board_id=1&model=Maximus+Formula&page=1&SLanguage=en-us
kamer
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 42
Posted:5/21/2009 11:44:00 AM # 5
k I got a new P6T deluxe V2 wont post well I took the cemos battery out but didtn look what way does it go back in any one got a [picture

If you see my Glock you had a Bad day! My system Case: NZXT Phantom Corsair HX 1000W PS ASUS P8P67 PRO Intel I7 3.4 Kingston XMP 1600 16 GB EVGA G force 580 2 DVDRW Hard drives 2 WD raptor sata 150 GB Windows vista ultimate Samsung symaster 226BW
Lanen
Level :
Tech Points : 6
Posted:6/3/2009 10:58:00 AM # 6
My question is somewhat relevant:  computer posts OK and Windows 7 loads and works just fine. But I get no beep at startup -- and never have during the build process. The M4A78 PRO board has an onboard "beeper" so no speaker should be necessary [but I'll use your suggestion and pick up the one you linked to]. So if everything is working OK, should I be concerned that I don't get a beep?

Thanks in advance.

zerocool
Level :
Posted:6/4/2009 2:49:00 AM # 7

Quote:
Author: Lanen Posted: 6/3/2009 10:58:00 AM

My question is somewhat relevant:  computer posts OK and Windows 7 loads and works just fine. But I get no beep at startup -- and never have during the build process. The M4A78 PRO board has an onboard "beeper" so no speaker should be necessary [but I'll use your suggestion and pick up the one you linked to]. So if everything is working OK, should I be concerned that I don't get a beep?

Thanks in advance.

If the system works fine then I wouldn't worry.  When it comes to troubleshooting if you have problems in the future you will then want to get the speaker working---I would fix it now.

Mborr12
Level :
Tech Points : 0
Posted:7/12/2009 4:30:00 AM # 8
Wow that was some great info, but I'm still having issues. I tried flashing my BIOS on my P5n32e-SLI Plus and now i get no video. I still have the original BIOS disk that came with my mobo but with no video I'm not sure how to flash from the disk. Any advise?

Hokuto
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 49
Posted:7/22/2009 3:45:00 PM # 9

Quote:
Author: zerocool Posted: 4/20/2009 10:06:00 PM

On a new build you should clear the CMOS after connecting the bare basics that you will need for the OS install.  You should disable all overclocking and have only one stick of memory installed during OS install also.  For best results you will want to go into BIOS and set your memory sub-timings, voltage, and speed manually to stock manufacturer recommendations.

I've just completed my first new build using a P5Q PRO TURBO, Intel Q8400, 8gb of Corsair TWIN2X4096-6400C5 G  (total 8gb), Asus EN9800GT Matrix GeForce HTDP/512MD3 R2 graphics card and multiple new HDD. I'm waiting for the monitor to arrive right now, but if I read you correctly, you are saying I should 1) clear the CMOS; 2) remove all but one stick of memory; and 3) disconnect all but one hdd (the one to hold my OS), when doing my first bootup? This information seems extremely important, and I wish it had been put in the mobo manual. Thanks for any further information; with all the compatibility problems I've been reading about, I feel sure I'll be back ;)

-- "And only the stump, or fishy part of him remained."
zerocool
Level :
Posted:7/23/2009 4:34:00 AM # 10

Quote:
Author: Mborr12 Posted: 7/12/2009 4:30:00 AM

Wow that was some great info, but I'm still having issues. I tried flashing my BIOS on my P5n32e-SLI Plus and now i get no video. I still have the original BIOS disk that came with my mobo but with no video I'm not sure how to flash from the disk. Any advise?

Sorry so long to answer.  Sounds like a bad BIOS flash.  Hopefully clearing CMOS for an extended period of time will help.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ...  Next  Last
Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.