SEARCH
ASUS Member ID
Password
Forgot password?
Join member

ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Motherboard > P5E3  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Feedback and Suggestion]FAO ASUS. ICH9R firmware/BIOS Upgrade Please! New Topic
John47
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 93
Posted:4/12/2009 8:17:00 PM # 1
Hi guys

This might seem like a bizare thread but ASUS really do need to update their BIOS' to incorporate the latest ICH9R Firmware. The reason for this is the current version across their entire X38/X48 range (v7.5.0.1017) is hideously old and contains numerous problems, the main problem with this firmware is that it has problems with certain SSD drives and/or RAID on SSD drives.

Intel addressed this issue in a BIOS update for their DX38BT Desktop Motherboard (which is also X38 chipset and ICH9R based). The current Intel RAID/I boot ROM/firmware is v8.6.0.1007 and the latest SATA AHCI firmware is  12-03-2007.

All our ICH9R based ASUS boards have very old versions of the Intel RAID and AHCI firmware please can you update this to incorporate the latest fixes.

Intel's Release notes for their latest BIOS are here

Thanks.

Kind Regards
John

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Andy
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:4/13/2009 7:17:00 PM # 2
Hi John,

Wouldn't it work if you just update the RAID AHCI drivers at the link below?
http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/sb/CS-026488.htm   

Above link is the location from where i took updates for RAID AHCI and for the chipset the link below:
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Product_Filter.aspx?ProductID=816

The Asus download section for this board really s*cks.

I don't know wether we need a new BIOS for these features or not.

Regards
Andy

John47
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:4/13/2009 8:35:00 PM # 3
Hi Andy

Thank you for your suggestions, unfortunately the AHCI and RAID Option ROM control the low level (before the OS has even been installed) interaction between the ICH9R and SATA devices.

Sadly there is a bug in the Option ROM across the entire ASUS x38 and X48 motherboard range which makes RAID with the X-25 SSD rather difficult . The Intel X25-M can time out on POST and even take a long time to boot (after numerous CTRL+ALT Deletes to get the drive detected in the first place) .

This issue has been reproduced on a Maximus Extreme, yet on the Intel X38 motherboard with the latest BIOS (which has the updated RAID and AHCI firmware/rom) no problems occur running the drives at all neither does a ASUS P5Q (P45 based) motherboard have any problems.

Upon examining the BIOS rom files for the P5Q P45 version I have found they have version 8.0.of the Intel ICH10R ROM.

I have managed to find out that the SSD compatability issue was resolved with RAID Option ROM 7.6.xxx, this is qutie old but a lot newer than the 7.5.xxx ROM which is on ALL ASUS X38/X48 motherboards.

I would like to see ASUS resolve this issue, even Gigabyte updated their AHCI ROM with their most recent X48 chipset BIOS update.

Kind Regards

John

Andy
Level :
Posted:4/14/2009 3:43:00 AM # 4
Hi John,

I assume Asus will follow soon with an update for these issues. As long as enough end users address the issues. I have no experiences yet with SSD's.

Good luck.

Regards
Andy

John47
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:6/9/2009 6:34:00 PM # 5
I would just like to post a BIG PUBLIC THANK YOU TO ASUS.
Over the past month I had been in correspondence with ASUS with regards to upgrading the ICH9R ROM so I could RAID0 my X-25M drives. towards the end of May ASUS provided me with a BIOS which resolved the issue and now today this BIOS has been released to the public.

BIOS VERSION 1502 BETA Can now be downloaded here

This also resolves the strange issue I had with my QX9650 using a manual multiplier. Once again hats off to ASUS for continuing to support the P5E3 motherboard.

John

Alex
Level :
Tech Points : 40
Posted:7/9/2009 7:55:00 PM # 6
did they actually update the entire ich9 rom? as the P5E3 DELUXE has yet to be updated :(

If you have a problem, report it to ASUS as they do not check this community forum. ASUS will not take action if it has not been reported enough and they cannot replicate the issue in their labs.
John47
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:7/10/2009 1:33:00 AM # 7
Yes the P5E3 has had it's ICH9R Intel RAID option ROM updated to 8.7.0.1007 in the Beta BIOS 1502. This resolves the Timeout issue I was having with my X-25M SSD's
John

Po
Level :
Posted:7/14/2009 3:48:00 AM # 8

John47,

How did you proove to ASUS that the old BIOS has an old AHCI ROM firmware and the problem is in it?

I have opened a Service Request to ASUS support on the same issue but the engineer from ASUS always say to me "everything is ok with BIOS, x25-m have to work well with old BIOS version".

I have Maximus Formula and the latest BIOS for it is very old (made in 2008). I assume that the problem is in AHCI/RAID firmware and I believe I'm right:)

Could you please give me technical details about this problem if you can so I can show the problem to ASUS support?

Otterwx
Level :
Posted:7/14/2009 8:19:00 PM # 9

A BIG THANK YOU TO YOU, John47!!!

Not so many users have sufficient knowledge and/or enough patience for this kind of efforts you have done! All the ASUS X38/48 users should thank you!!

Actually the problem is not specific for the Intel X-25M. Luckily I have X-25M for my laptop. In my desktop with Maximus Formula, I have two OCZ Vertex SSDs in RAID0 instead. The system can boot normally, but I have extra 20 sec delay during POST while after that it takes only 45 sec more to boot to Vista desktop and then lots of startup applications. I started a thread on the OCZ support forum here:
http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58540

So now the problem for P5E3 is solved, how about Maximus Formula and other X38/48 boards? Do you happen to know anything? I'm checking BIOS update almost daily now on Maximus Formula's download page...

Otterwx
Level :
Posted:7/16/2009 11:19:00 PM # 10
From ASUS support:

"Dear Valued ASUS Customer!

You simply cannot apply the same fix, since the motherboard are not the same. A future BIOS update may decrease the detection time."

... sigh...

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10  Next  Last
:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.