SEARCH
ASUS Member ID
Password
Forgot password?
Join member

ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > LCD Monitors > VW222U  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Sharing]ASUS VW222u DVI pixel noise fix requires disassembly New Topic
bcmalloy
Level :
Tech Points : 5
Posted:4/7/2009 7:10:00 PM # 1
my ASUS VW222u had the same problem many are reporting after about 8 months
with developing colored "noise" onscreen or dancing red pixels while using dvi but vga is fine.

luckily my old man is an electronics engineer, rather than be without a monitor since vga still works fine we decided to have a look.

we worked out the problem. note: this is a fix for the random picture noise problem while using dvi port.

If monitor works ok with vga but dvi has noise then this fix should work for you.

1.open monitor (will void warrenty)
2.unplug all the the cables going to the power supply and dvi port assembly, undo two screws pull down and out you wil now be looking behind the dvi port and be holding a metal module that contails power supply and dvi- and vga port.

3.you will notice a piece of brass foil joining the earths on your dvi and vga cable this is the problem creating an "earth loop" as both vga and dvi ports are earthed to the metal casing this extra earth is causing the problem introducing noise.

3.carefully unwrap the brass foil from the two cables and seperate, insualte cables with electrical tape. (wrap around each one seperately they should now be indiivdual cables)

4.you will notice a silver spring type peice of metal on the assembly that pushes against the
main body of the unit when re-assembled. scratch the metal with a screwdriver where this peice pushes so you get a good connection when you reassemble it, do not touch as finger grease could screw up the connection. (this step is not vital just a good thing to do why your in there to make sure the the unit is properly earthed)

4.re-assemble

enjoy, fixed mine and was quite easy, take care with the plastic latches they are tight - ensure you remove all 5 screws, to see the fifth easily the monitor stand must be removed (two screws then stand slides out from rear of case)

good luck
bcmalloy

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Aidan
Level :
Tech Points : 0
Posted:4/10/2009 4:17:00 PM # 2
Thanks bcmalloy! I had the same problem and your advice solved the problem. I am astonished that ASUS put a monitor into production with such a basic design flaw. The problem was immediately visible as soon as I removed the back cover (no easy task!).

Cheers,
Aidan

Snelgar
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:4/13/2009 9:25:00 AM # 3
Sweet I thought this was my video card at first. In the end I replaced video card, mobo and power supply to finally conclude it was the monitor... grr. Then I found this! Mine is only 1 year 3 months old, I'll take it back to them to fix. Thanks for the info.

bcmalloy
Level :
Tech Points : 5
Posted:4/16/2009 11:41:00 PM # 4
Glad to hear you fixed it, the cover is a bastard, plastic clips are always the hardest part push gently in and twist with a small flat screwdriver seems to be the trick.

These are great monitors I think, love mine was very pleased how simple it was to fix.

We believe they received earthed dvi and vga plugs when infact the were meant to be not earthed as per their design. (just speculation)
The extra earthing that looks done by hand probably at considerable cost was added and would probably work fine if this was the case.

Enjoy DVI goodness

Bcmalloy

Igga
Level :
Tech Points : 2
Posted:4/19/2009 2:22:00 PM # 5
Top work on this fix mate - who wants to be stuck on old video drivers when that's not the real fix. I'd been hunting for ages for a fix for this.

Buy ur old man a beer for me!

Twinsen
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:5/28/2009 8:21:00 PM # 6

Thanx for the fix. I did what you said.

I worked very well and I thought I fixed it, but after about 3 weeks on intense using, the monitor suddently shows tons of green pixels all over the sreen. So many, that it was hard to even read the text.

Changing the resolution got rid of the pixels, just like before.

It seems this is not a perfect fix.

Twinsen
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:10/6/2009 1:30:00 AM # 7
Argh, I'm still having this problem, I opened this monitor dozens of times, tried all kinds of things. I even cut the ground cables from the VGA connector. I added a good grounding to my outlet, nothing fixes this. Any suggestions? :(

zummer
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:1/9/2010 3:57:00 AM # 8
Fixed my monitor according your instruction, working fine for 2 days so far. If anything changes, I'll try to write here. Great thanx to you and your old man, bcmalloy )

Stooni
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:1/27/2010 6:53:00 PM # 9
!!I have long time considered whether I should make this ! Because I had the same problem.

Now I've done it and everything is OK!

Thank you very much!

---Stooni

======================== ASUS M2N-SLI deluxe, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB HD SATA, 2x DVD-RW Lightscribe, TV Karte, Saphire ATI RAGE 2600 PRO ========================
Twinsen
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:3/15/2010 3:55:00 AM # 10
Please let me know if you find what exactly causes this, or if you find a permanent fix.
I found that opening the monitor, disconnecting and reconnecting the cables inside fixes the problem for 1-2 months. I use the monitor many hours every day.

Maybe some residual electricity discharges or something when I do this, I can't understand what is happening, but unless I do this, the pixels appear almost daily after those 1-2 months.

1 2  Next  Last
Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.