Join member

ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Motherboard > P5KPL-CM  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Sharing]OSX86 - fully working New Topic
themacmeister
Level :
Tech Points : 7
Posted:3/27/2009 2:41:00 PM # 1
I have very recently gotten OSX 10.5.6 fully working on my Asus P5KPL-CM motherboard with E7200 Core2Duo. A short howto below:

iPC Mac OS X86 10.5.6 DVD
no patches required
Replace AppleUSBEHCI.kext (IOUSBFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/) with VoodooEHCI.kext
remove all AppleThermal, AppleThermo, AppleFan kexts (lowers CPU temp by 5 degrees)
Install VoodooPower.kext
Use EFIStudio to install NVidia graphics string into com.apple.Boot.plist
uses original NVidia/OpenGL kexts

only 5 pieces of software have failed, out of HUNDREDS, and 4 of those are games! 3 of those are PopCap games.

All hardware works, fully working sleep/hibernate/speedstep and also scheduled startup and shutdown.

PS. With the CPU overclocked 10%, to 2.78GHz, and a GeForce 9800GT installed, it's fast as HELL.

Printer is not allowing sleep while turned on, I will reinstall the drivers and see if that helps.

Best of luck email or IM me if you have problems.

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
fichman
Level :
Tech Points : 0
Posted:4/22/2009 4:03:00 PM # 2

i have the same mobo & cpu

i need help in bios & install
is sound and lan working

my nvidia is 8400gs 512

thnks 

hai f.

themacmeister
Level :
Posted:2/8/2010 6:45:00 PM # 3
That is the EXACT SAME system I had (notice that I HAD that system, I now use an AMD Athlon64X2 6000 (3.0GHz) dual-core, with 4GB 800MHz DDR2 DRAM on a M2N68-CM mobo. (actually, I had the 256MB 8400GS - but it works the same either way)

If you are using a USB mouse and keyboard, you should be fine, otherwise you need to experiment with PS/2 fixes - I used iPC originally, but I much prefer iAtkos, especially version 7 (10.5.7). This is almost the perfect installer.

I used a custom modded BIOS with new DSDT patch, which didn't improve much at all. I do not think this is necessary at all, but I may be wrong. Always burn the OSX86 DVD at the SLOWEST SPEED POSSIBLE. Also, break into the bootloader with F8, and type -60 -x -v (safe mode,guaranteed  CD boot, verbose).

Launch with -s next boot, and type:

/sbin/mount -uw /
rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.mkext
rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/Caches/*
rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/GeF*
rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/NV*

I use Nvidia Universal Installer.dpkg (google it), this installs GeForce.kexts, NVDA*.kexts, and also patches for OpenGL.Framework (3x patches). You need to type in your Vendor/Device ID into GeForce.kext/Contents/Info.plist, as well as NVDANV50.kext/Contents/Info.plist, and NVDAResman.kext/Contents/Info.plist - as the ONLY number. Mine was 0x042210de. Force Quit the installer, do not RESTART. Run the patcher manually=

sudo -s
cd /
./patcher cpuid.txt

You need NVDarwin-512.kext (I got mine off another installer DVD) This should be easy to find on Google - change it to read your ONLY ONE 0x042210de like before in Info.plist. I also had to change my NVCAP line to get DVI/VGA both working. There are plenty of numbers to try via Google - mine was something like 02000000 00000100 00000000 00100000 (or something similar - doing this from memory - do NOT use the number I just used). That is what it should look like tho. Your NVDarwin.kext will have LETTERS not numbers, but just replace what you have, and you will get DVI working, and possibly VGA too (mirror/spanned desktop).

I used AppleAzaliaAudio.kext for sound out only (no input) but works fine, or VoodooHDA for both (a bit buggy at times, you need to use the Audio-Midi utlity (Applications/Utilities) to change 24bit output to 16 bit, to get bug-free audio out. There is a fix for iLife 09 (no sound) on the forums, search for it if you need sound in iLife 09.

PS. You need to install this onto it's own hard drive, or FIRST MBR partition of other drives. This is the only way I have tested, and helps me dual-boot WinXP too.

Sorry I can't be more help at this time - I am trying to reinstall OSX on this machine as we speak - I just installed the 9800GT, and got an xBench score of 228!!!!

228!!!

That is 2.28 times faster than a DUAL 2GHz G5 Mac!!!!

(10% easy overclock via BIOS)

For an AUS$415 computer!!!

email me at craig(dot)cooper(at)gmail(dot)com and I will be able to help you more...

Cheers.

themacmeister
Level :
Posted:3/8/2010 1:32:00 PM # 4
I must in all honesty admit that I have given up on OSX86, every time I get it working perfectly, I lose my graphics - black or blue screen with cursor. Nothing I do can correct this error.

Therefore I will stick with Apple hardware only with OSX, and WinXP on Intel/AMD PCs.

Peut
Level :
Tech Points : 0
Posted:1/27/2011 12:15:00 PM # 5
Heya! I've been trying recently with iPC on the ASUS P5KPL-CM motherboard, and haven't exactly had much luck. It installs fine and I can boot into it, but its limited to 1024x768 res and as many times as I use KextUtility or EFIStudio to install drivers for sound, ethernet and video, it seems to make no difference at atll. I was wondering if you may have any advice for me? Thanks heaps

Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.