Join member

ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Eee Family > Eee PC 900HA/XP  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]My Eee PC runs very slow New Topic
Elijo
Level :
Tech Points : 0
Posted:3/17/2009 3:18:00 AM # 1
My Eee PC all of the sudden has started to start up and load any function very, very slow.
What can be cousing this sudden problem?

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Stan
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 117
Posted:3/17/2009 3:43:00 AM # 2
Press control Alt and delete keys and task manager will come up.  Click on the processes tab, then click on cpu twice.  This should order the processes with the ones using the most cpu at the top.  This might help you find what is hogging things.

Is the hard drive running a lot?  Have you added any new programs lately that might have upset things?

You could always use go back and return to a time before the problem arose and see if that helps.

jdoyle
Level :
Tech Points : 1074
Posted:3/17/2009 7:16:00 AM # 3

Quote:
Author: Elijo Posted: 3/17/2009 3:18:00 AM

Spyware, virus, etc...

JD

White 900A Linux 1.6 Atom, 1GB RAM, 32GB Patriot SSD, Full KDE
k24
Webmaster
Level :
Tech Points : 134
Posted:3/17/2009 3:52:00 PM # 4
Reinstall the OS.

IvesKu
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:3/25/2009 3:37:00 AM # 5
Does the speed resume after reboot?

DrZ
Level :
Tech Points : 2133
Posted:3/27/2009 8:36:00 PM # 6

Quote:
Author: Elijo Posted: 3/17/2009 3:18:00 AM

My Eee PC all of the sudden has started to start up and load any function very, very slow.

Elijo,
My son had issues like that on his desktop.  This machine was built for speed and suddenly...was as slow as an old Pentium 1.  We downloaded AdAware and installed it.  After a couple of runs of that software, it stripped off much of the garbage files on his machine.  Also, a good virus scanner may help quite a bit.  I know Norton comes with most of these machines but I have never been a fan of Norton.

Anyway, the link for AdAware is included here.  Try it and see if it helps.  Otherwise, a reinstall is in order.

http://www.lavasoft.com/products/ad_aware_free.php

Best Regards and good luck,
DrZ

Old Guy. EPc 1201N (Win 7, 4gB RAM). Panasonic toughbook with Windoze XP Pro and Suse Linux. Hand built Power machine with Quad core, 16gB memory, 2TB hard drive, Dual 1gB video Cards, Running XpPro and Unix. Research Engineer with close to 40 yrs experience working on and with computers....guess that makes me an old geek and if not a geek.... just cussed old!

Posted:3/28/2009 11:48:00 PM # 7
Malwarebytes is better

KenW
DrZ
Level :
Tech Points : 2133
Posted:4/2/2009 12:10:00 AM # 8

Quote:
Author: Ken1943 Posted: 3/28/2009 11:48:00 PM

Malwarebytes is better

Ken,
As a test, I downloaded Malwarebytes and, as a test, I ghosted a desktop I have.  I ran Malwarebytes.  First, it was very VERY slow.  Took over 2 hours to test the 160gB drive and all files.  After it cleared the drive, I ran adaware and found an additional 13 items.  I installed the ghost and ran awaware first.  It took 43 minutes and for the total test.  I then ran Malwarebytes and found nothing more. 
I am don't know if you have a newer version of Malwarebytes but I didn't find it to be an improvement over adaware. 
Just providing this for general information.
Best Regards,
DrZ

Old Guy. EPc 1201N (Win 7, 4gB RAM). Panasonic toughbook with Windoze XP Pro and Suse Linux. Hand built Power machine with Quad core, 16gB memory, 2TB hard drive, Dual 1gB video Cards, Running XpPro and Unix. Research Engineer with close to 40 yrs experience working on and with computers....guess that makes me an old geek and if not a geek.... just cussed old!
msferre
Level :
Posted:4/12/2009 7:14:00 AM # 9
I have the same issue as the original poster - I bought my wife this laptop five months ago, but two or three months ago, it suddenly started to run very slow, all the way from the Windows XP screen at the very beginning to desktop.

She has used it mostly to scan pictures in with a portable scanner, and to write a journal. I added Avast! anti-virus and Firefox at the very beginning, but nothing else was added since then. It just got very slow all of a sudden.

So - besides checking the CPU on the task manager, any other suggestions? I'm not even sure how we can reinstall the OS if this laptop has no CD/DVD drive?

jdoyle
Level :
Tech Points : 1074
Posted:4/12/2009 8:11:00 AM # 10

Quote:
Author: msferre Posted: 4/12/2009 7:14:00 AM

So - besides checking the CPU on the task manager, any other suggestions?

Scan for spyware. If you've been on the internet...

mbam

JD

White 900A Linux 1.6 Atom, 1GB RAM, 32GB Patriot SSD, Full KDE
1 2  Next  Last
Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.