Join member

ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Notebook > N10J  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]Wireless won't turn on New Topic
Hackborn
Level :
Tech Points : 0
Posted:2/6/2009 10:31:00 AM # 1
Hi, I just got a new N10J but I can not get the wireless to work.  In the wireless control panel, when I press the Diagnose button, it tells me wireless needs to be turned on.  The hardware switch is in -- bluetooth works fine -- but when I go to the switcher thing in the task tray that lets you select between bluetooth, bluetooth+LAN, LAN, or disabled, it will simply not let me select anything with LAN.  Bluetooth works fine, but if I select either of the LAN options, it pauses for a moment, then the red x appears to indicate a problem.

I've seen other reports like this but for everyone else, it seems like LAN at least sometimes works.  For me it never, ever does.  I've tried disabling and enabling the wireless adaptor in the device manager, I've rebooted many times, but it will simply never enable the LAN.

Anyone have any further suggestions?

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Mediomatricus
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 187
Posted:2/6/2009 2:47:00 PM # 2
Does your machine come with the so-called "Wireless Console 2" installed, as does mine (an M70Vn)?

Do you activate LAN and/or Bluetooth with the Fn+F2 key combination, again as on mine?

As my wireless was never activated by default on boot, I had to go through the sequence "Bluetooth OFF", "Wireless OFF", "Bluetooth ON", "Wireless ON". It would eventually set on "Wireless ON" which then would start WiFi, but as a rule, never on the first time, and after a lot of fidgeting.

I got so p....d off with the bl....y thing that I unsinstalled Wireless Console. Now it still does not start with wireless ON as a default, but at least, it starts with the Fn+F2 key combination.

I sort of put up with it because I dual boot with Ubuntu 8.10 which I use most of the time. With Linux, the wireless connection always starts flawlessly. This does show that there is a software problem and it is high time Asus addressed that issue.

Fedora 12 rocks!
Brad
Level :
Tech Points : 0
Posted:3/10/2009 11:54:00 AM # 3

Having the same issue or at least a close variation. I have to restart several times to get the WLAN to get detected again on Windows XP.   I have the switch turned on, and the wireless console enabled to have wireless connection, but when I look into the Device Manager, the card isn't even listed. I cant get it to detect it again unless i restart.  When it is working, it will work until the laptop is turned off, restarted, put into hibernate, or put into standby.  I sent a technical inquiry to ASUS hoping for some help, but in the meantime I will try to use an old driver.

Edit: Here's an interesting update, I tried to manually add the hardware again.  I got this error message related to the device:

"This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12)

If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system."

Which is rather strange since i just bought this thing and am already having this issue.

Edit 2: Seeing how I primarily choose to use this as an entirely mobile laptop, I disabled the LAN gigabit card, and restarted.  All is well as of now, but what an annoyance.  Possibly I had an unrelated issue, but try disabling a device you dont use, like bluetooth.

Drucifer
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:4/15/2009 1:29:00 AM # 4
I too can't suddenly get the wireless to turn back on. I didn't turn it off. And now it wont turn back on by repeating pressing the Fn/F2 combo.

I tried every method here trying to get tech support, but I'm getting nowhere quick.

Oh, my model is the N10J-A2. Like it, but w/o wireless, it useless for me.

Drucifer
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:4/15/2009 4:24:00 AM # 5

Quote:
Author: Mediomatricus Posted: 2/6/2009 2:47:00 PM

Does your machine come with the so-called "Wireless Console 2" installed, as does mine (an M70Vn)?

Do you activate LAN and/or Bluetooth with the Fn+F2 key combination, again as on mine?

As my wireless was never activated by default on boot, I had to go through the sequence "Bluetooth OFF", "Wireless OFF", "Bluetooth ON", "Wireless ON". It would eventually set on "Wireless ON" which then would start WiFi, but as a rule, never on the first time, and after a lot of fidgeting.

I got so p....d off with the bl....y thing that I unsinstalled Wireless Console. Now it still does not start with wireless ON as a default, but at least, it starts with the Fn+F2 key combination.

I sort of put up with it because I dual boot with Ubuntu 8.10 which I use most of the time. With Linux, the wireless connection always starts flawlessly. This does show that there is a software problem and it is high time Asus addressed that issue.

That's how I got the wireless to work. I un-installed the program Wireless Console 2, and then had Windows Vista look at and fix the wireless network.

Fn/F2 still doesn't seem to work, but at least the wireless is on for now as I wait for an Asus tech callback.

Drucifer
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:4/15/2009 5:07:00 AM # 6

Quote:
Author: Drucifer Posted: 4/15/2009 1:29:00 AM

I too can't suddenly get the wireless to turn back on. I didn't turn it off. And now it wont turn back on by repeating pressing the Fn/F2 combo.

I tried every method here trying to get tech support, but I'm getting nowhere quick.

There also seems to be an on/off switch on the left side near the front. Which was in the middle position. I must have moved it accidentally. Three ways to turn wireless on/off seems rather redundant.

Pospa
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 2
Posted:4/30/2009 5:06:00 AM # 7

Quote:
Author: Drucifer Posted: 4/15/2009 1:29:00 AM

Try rightclick on Atheros client utility (on icon in tray) and select ENABLE RADIO.

Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: MCZ New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.