ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Motherboard > M3A78-EM  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]Force HDMI output always? New Topic
takabanana
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 0
Posted:1/29/2009 3:08:00 AM # 1
Is there a way to force this mobo to output HDMI all the time (using Windows Vista 32-bit)?

It seems as soon as I disconnect the HDMI output (in my case, switching the TV input being displayed), when I go back (switch the TV input) to HDMI, its output is disabled.  I seem to always have to go back to VGA.

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Andy
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 39
Posted:1/29/2009 6:33:00 PM # 2
IMO, the HDMI support on this board is rubbish. Most people, myself included, seem to have the "HDMI won't output unless the TV is on at boot" problem. I have raised a ticket with ASUS and they said they were looking at it, but nothing for weeks now. I'm pretty unimpressed with support these days.

Most of the time I find that if the TV output is enabled (by booting with the TV) on then I can get HDMI output back by using CCC, although that is somewhat random. Here are some somewhat other random tips:

1. You can get over the problem above by always shutting down to S3. HDMI output still seems to work after resume from S3.
2. Switching users in vista makes the HDMI problem much worse. I find the TV randomly shows desktop extension or desktop cloning or nothing at all.
3. Sometimes you can trick the board to enable HDMI by using CCC to extend the desktop onto the TV (if it works then you are done, otherwise), switch the TV from HDMI to TV to HDMI again, then use CCC to extend the desktop - this time it always works for me.
4. Suspending the computer while the TV is still on seems to make the HDMI output behave reasonably at startup. Doing the reverse - switching the TV off while the computer is on makes things worse.

Mike D
Level :
Tech Points : 0
Posted:2/16/2009 1:09:00 AM # 3
I have a somewhat similar problem. I have an HDTV as a secondary display (extended desktop). I CAN turn on the HDTV after booting my machine, however it hardly ever works well. It will lose its resolution settings, refresh rate (updating to the most recent video driver seemed to resolve that), etc etc.

I'd love to be able to power it on and not have my displays flicker and flash until it recognizes there is 'new hardware' attached. I sure hope there is a solution to this someday...

Ben
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:7/13/2009 10:32:00 AM # 4
Hey Guys,

I'm having the same problem as you are, and I just wanted to find out if there was any further information that resulted from that request to ASUS.  I'd love to get this fixed, even if it's something as dumb as running a script every 30 seconds to check if it's using HDMI and switching it if it's not.

- Ben

Hilmar
Level :
Tech Points : 2
Posted:7/13/2009 9:14:00 PM # 5

I am having the same problem with a M3N78-VM an WinXP 64. I have now invested upwards of 10 hours of research and trial and error without any luck. For a mainboard that is aimed at multimedia and htpc users that is pretty weak, since a core feature just doesn't work like expected.

I hope this is going to be resolved soon. I would even be grateful for a script that reacts to a specific keycombination and then turns hdmi on again as a quick fix.

Stacey
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:7/20/2009 7:06:00 AM # 6
Still no joy from ASUS on this issue? I've seen many people all reporting the same problem. VGA to the telly works fine. Can anyone confirm if the DVI port to HDMI on the telly works? Actually, I think I'm just going to buy the Gigabyte mainboard and replace the ASUS one. The silence we've had from ASUS on this indicates guilt, I suspect it's a design fault of the board and they have no way to overcome it with a driver patch.

Hilmar
Level :
Tech Points : 2
Posted:7/24/2009 6:03:00 PM # 7
Anything new on this issue?

Andy
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 39
Posted:9/30/2009 9:10:00 PM # 8

Quote:
Author: Hilmar Posted: 7/24/2009 6:03:00 PM

Anything new on this issue?

FWIW having raised issues with both Asus and ATI I gave up and bought a discrete fanless nvidia 9400GT. This does not have the boot issue but the flipside is that HDMI is always on so Vista doesn't switch displays when the HDMI cable is plugged/unplugged.

Even with the HDMI port detected, hotplug never worked very well for me anyway - I kept having to reset the display settings to get the TV to work - unusable for a HTPC - so I am much happier with my nvidia solution.

I'm not sure this is Asus's problem - although it could be - I more suspect an issue with the ATI drivers and the 780G chipset itself since the ATI discrete cards seem to handle this well enough. The fact that Vista requires a protected display path also make this tricky I think.

Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.