Join member

ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Motherboard > P5W DH Deluxe  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]Green light on motherboard "flashing" New Topic
Kilgour
Level :
Tech Points : 0
Posted:1/28/2009 1:23:00 AM # 1

When I shut down my P5W-DH Deluxe and try to turn it back on, the green light on the motherboard starst "flashing" , there's a clicking sound (in sync with the flashing) and the computer won't turn on. If I unplug the power for a while, I can get it to turn on but I'm wondering what this is and/or what might be causing it. Any ideas?

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Asamp
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 92
Posted:1/28/2009 3:26:00 AM # 2
Hi, you diagnose your pc via beep codes this means you need to connect a speaker to your mobo. The mobo will emit beeps then turn to page 3-1 of your US manual to decipher the description.

LMK,
asamp

Asus P5Q3 Deluxe rev 102g, Bios 2105; Gemini II S & Q9550s 2.83GHz; Crucial Ballistix Tracers 4x2Gb 1600 mhz @ 1333mhz, 9-9-9-24; Benq 24" 1080p; LG Blu-Ray Lightscribe & Blu-rw; XFX 8800 GTS, & HDTV7 Express Tuner; Seagate ONS 2x250GB, & AS 160GB IDE SATA2s; Auzentech HTHD X-Fi; Logitech z5500 5.1; Sabrent Floppy/Media Reader; Ultra 800w X3 Modular PSU, 3DAurora Case, Win7 Ult64/SP1.
Kilgour
Level :
Posted:1/28/2009 3:34:00 AM # 3
Thanks, I'm aware of all the beep codes. Nothing "beeps", the green light flashes and there's a clicking sound when I turn the computer on just after turning it off.

Kilgour
Level :
Posted:1/28/2009 8:06:00 AM # 4
Turns out it was the power supply...

Stevens
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:4/18/2009 7:20:00 PM # 5

This morning I have the same problem.

My pc started to boot up but while I went away to let it boot up it must have very quickly shut down.  The pc will not turn on now at all.

I heard a clicking noise and thought to check the mobo light in the bottom right corner.  It was flashing green repeatedly to the clicking sound.

I read the previous posts about noise and checked the manual but my pc is constantly going click-click-click with no break or change the in clicks or flashes.

My initial hypothesis was the connections as this has happened once before since upgrading parts of my pc which fixed the problem.

A very quick history of my pc.  I bought it custom made online and it worked fine for about 9 months and had software issues.  Eventually given a new ram then gcu but still had problems so they thought it might be power supply but attention soon centered on cooling (70 deg C at one point).  They put in a new better cooler and things seemed to be better.  However, I believe that heat damage has run unchecked in my pc for an unknown amount of time.  At a later date the hdd seemed to die although I was defraging and the pc went idle but again heat damage was suspected as the cause but never proven.  Hdd was then replaced.

The psu, gcu and case are now upgraded almost brand new with plenty of fans to cool it (all of which can move).  The mobo and processor are still original and so I suspect that the heat damage has got the better of it having only lasted 26 months.

The only things left I can think of is to clear it of dust and remove/plug in everything and see if that helps.

I hope this covers all the bases.  I reckon people will recommend what I've done or about to do already and then put the problem down to psu or mobo/proc.  The psu is 1500w which I no where near exceed and is months old and coupled with a new spacious case with plenty of cooling I don't think there is a heating issue.  If anything's broken I'd say mobo/proc and that heat damage shortened it's life (previous pc lasted just over 4 years).

Thank you for any help you can give.

Stevens
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:4/19/2009 1:32:00 AM # 6
Have connected to my old psu which still works last I checked.  The light stayed on but I have decided not to power up because it may well be insufficient for my upgraded gcu and could do more harm than good.

Anyone else have anything to contribute?

zerocool
Level :
Tech Points : 3894
Posted:4/19/2009 1:48:00 AM # 7
Blinking power light is definitely PSU issues.  Borrow a PSU with a single large +12v rail to test with, such as the 750TX which has more than the recommended amps for your setup.  Try THIS also to get some kind of an idea of PSU size.

Post a link to your GPU and PSU specs.

This board will display signs of dead motherboard if the CMOS battery gets weak.  Being as you have had it for a while it wouldn't be a bad idea to replace the battery even if it's not the problem.

*******Bad BIOS Flash and Dead Board Testing. ***** ALL Boards ***** http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20090420211645831&board_id=1&model=Maximus+Formula&page=1&SLanguage=en-us
Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: Ulrich New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.