Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]CPU Fan Error. Press F1 To Resume! New Topic
Amit
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 0
Posted:1/26/2009 10:27:00 AM # 1
Hi,

On cold boots I am begining to get CPU Fan Error. Press F1 To Resume error. Is anyone else having the same problem? Has anyone found any solution to the problem? I only started to see this problem starting from BIOS version 0903 and above.

Here's my system specification:

[Product Information]
*Product Type : Motherboard
*Product Model : Rampage II Extreme

[Motherboard Specification]
*Motherboard BIOS Revision : 1001

[VGA Card Specification]
*VGA Card Vendor : Sapphire
*VGA Card Model : 4870 X2
*VGA Card Chipset : AMD
*VGA Card Driver : Catalyst 8.12

[CPU Specification]
*CPU Vendor : Intel
*CPU Type : LGA1366
*CPU Speed : 3.2GHz

[Memory Specification]
*Memory Vendor : Corsair
*Memory Model : TR3X6G1600C9(XMP) DDR3 1600
*Memory Capacity : 12GB

*Operating System : Vista 64bit

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Rampage II Extreme|Intel i7 965 EE|Arctic Cooling MX-2 Thermal Compound|Vigor Monsoon III LT CPU Cooler|Sapphire Radeon HD4870 X2|Corsair TR3X6G1600C9 12GB|Corsair HX1000 PSU|Lian-Li PC-P80 Case|HDD 2 x WD3000GLFS (300GB SATA2) Velociraptor|HDD 4 x WD1001FALS (1TB SATA2)|Samsung SH-S203B Optical Drive|Logitech Illuminated Keyboard|Wacom Intuos3 (PTZ) Tablet|Eizo CG222W Monitor|Vista x64 SP2|

Tech Points : 1
Posted:1/26/2009 1:11:00 PM # 2
I have a very similar configuration with the same CPU Fan Error on boot.  I thought it was due to the fact I don't have a CPU fan hooked up to the mobo.  I have a water cooled CPU so it would be nice to find a remedy to the CPU fan error. 

I'm going to check the BIOS settings to see if there is a way to disable the message.  I'll let you know if I find a way to disable it.

In the mean time does anyone else have a remedy for the error?

Rampage II Extreme, i7 940, 12GB Memory, EAH4870 X 2 GPU, 3 TB SATA, Thermaltake Liquid Cooled Chasis
Ulrich
Level :
Tech Points : 18338
Posted:1/26/2009 1:08:00 PM # 3
Hi A...

Are you using the Intel retail fan or something else to cool the processor...?

There are 10 kinds of people in the World...Those who understand binary, and those who dont!

Posted:1/26/2009 1:40:00 PM # 4

If you go into the BIOS under the BOOT menu you can disable the Wait for "F1" if error selection.  I tried it and it gets rid of the Fan error but still doesn't explain why the fan error occurs.  I would still like to know so if anyone can shed some light on the subject that would be beneficial.

Rampage II Extreme, i7 940, 12GB Memory, EAH4870 X 2 GPU, 3 TB SATA, Thermaltake Liquid Cooled Chasis
Kensek
Level :
Tech Points : 1285
Posted:1/26/2009 8:12:00 PM # 5

When water cooling you need to set the rpm monitoring for the CPU fan to Ignore.

Then the F1 message goes away.

Amit
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 0
Posted:1/27/2009 10:09:00 PM # 6

Quote:
Author: Ulrich Posted: 1/26/2009 1:08:00 PM

Hi A...

Are you using the Intel retail fan or something else to cool the processor...?

I am NOT using the Intel retail fan. I am using the Vigor Monsoon III LT fan. The details of which can be found at http://www.vigorgaming.com/components/cmp_monsooniiilite_intel.html

FYI, it comes with a 4 PIN wire and I hooked it properly to the CPU_FAN connector. I was NOT getting the error till BIOS version 0805. Starting from BIOS 0903 this error is being poped up on every COLD boot up.

I do not want to disable F1 error message so that i know about any system errors but would like to find a solution to fix this problem. When the error is shown, I can see the fan working properly. What can I check to find the exact problem so that I can report it to ASUS technical team to get a fix for it.

Rampage II Extreme|Intel i7 965 EE|Arctic Cooling MX-2 Thermal Compound|Vigor Monsoon III LT CPU Cooler|Sapphire Radeon HD4870 X2|Corsair TR3X6G1600C9 12GB|Corsair HX1000 PSU|Lian-Li PC-P80 Case|HDD 2 x WD3000GLFS (300GB SATA2) Velociraptor|HDD 4 x WD1001FALS (1TB SATA2)|Samsung SH-S203B Optical Drive|Logitech Illuminated Keyboard|Wacom Intuos3 (PTZ) Tablet|Eizo CG222W Monitor|Vista x64 SP2|
Ulrich
Level :
Posted:1/27/2009 10:46:00 PM # 7
Hi A..

Have a look in your BIOS hardware monitor at the CPU fan speed.  In most cases, you will get an error if the fan is running below 600RPM. 

If you have Q-Fan, enabled, disable it and see if the error continues or enable Q-Fan and set the profile to 'Turbo' and see if the problem continues.

There are 10 kinds of people in the World...Those who understand binary, and those who dont!
Big Dave
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:4/30/2009 3:51:00 AM # 8
I am experiencing a similar issue with my aftermarket fan (Thermaltake V1)... With mine I have it cranked to the fullest at all times. I started getting this error and when checking the fan it was running. So I just hit F1 to skip the error. Over time every so often I would get the message and check the fan and it would be "twitching". So I would hit reset on the case and it would reboot normally and the fan would engage in a normal fashion. Now I am getting it on every boot. I have no luck with the reset "cure" and I have to skip the error with F1 and hope that by the time Vista finishes booting - it is running normally. Sometimes it is - other times I don't see it engage until 5 minutes into my window session - if at all. So - for me basically it isn't an annoying meaningless error coming up. It started that way, but has blossomed into something serious either with the cooler itself or the motherboard not pushing enough consistent juice to the fan to get it moving. Is there a cure or should I be looking at returning the board/cooler?

Ulrich
Level :
Posted:4/30/2009 11:58:00 PM # 9

Hi D..

Is the fan a three wire DC fan and does it have its own speed control adjustment switch...?

zerocool
Level :
Tech Points : 3894
Posted:5/1/2009 12:21:00 AM # 10

Quote:
Author: Mroz Posted: 1/26/2009 1:40:00 PM

If you go into the BIOS under the BOOT menu you can disable the Wait for "F1" if error selection.  I tried it and it gets rid of the Fan error but still doesn't explain why the fan error occurs.  I would still like to know so if anyone can shed some light on the subject that would be beneficial.

There should definitely be an option to disable cpu fan monitoring or to ignore it.  Look around where QFan is in BIOS.

*******Bad BIOS Flash and Dead Board Testing. ***** ALL Boards ***** http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20090420211645831&board_id=1&model=Maximus+Formula&page=1&SLanguage=en-us
1 2  Next  Last
Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.