Join member

ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Motherboard > P5Q Deluxe  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]Help! - BIOS & eSATA problem P5Q Deluxe New Topic
sigrun
Level :
Tech Points : 0
Posted:1/6/2009 9:46:00 AM # 1
G'day all from Australia. My first post here, so if I unwittingly tread on established protocol, allow me to apologise in advance as it being unintentional.

Seeking assistance with two problems.
1. I can't get the integrated rear panel eSATA port to acknowledge there's a operational eSATA drive attached and display it in My Computer.
2. After flashing to the latest (1702) BIOS revision, all the SATA drive selections (previously resident) in MAIN have disappeared. The menu now just jumps from Language to Storage Configuration options under the BIOS's MAIN heading.

I have read this thread "[Problem]Can't Get eSATA To Work". I do have Marvell IDE enabled in the ADVANCED heading in BIOS. I have rescanned using Hotswap to no avail.

System status

Antec Nine Hundred case housing a Corsair HX-520 powering the;
New ASUS P5Q Deluxe mobo rev1.xx (CPU-Z reports),
Pair of 500GB Maxtor (Seagate Barracuda) 7200 SATA drives connected to ports SATA 0 & 1 in RAID 0 as a single volume C - working fine,
SONY ATAPI CD-RW on port SATA 2 - working fine,
SONY internal Card Reader on USB2 - working fine,

OS is Vista Home Premium SP1 clean installed on C:\
All ASUS motherboard drivers installed from supplied CD, some (Marvell) updated
BIOS reflashed (yesterday) to 1702 and reconfigured, now reset to defaults with only DRAM and CPU voltages and FSB uniquely set to spcific operational defaults for 2.4Ghz and 1066FSB on DRAM and CPU. Both stable. Memory is ASUS P5Q Deluxe approved G.Skill Pii 4GB 2x2 in interleaved dual channel (yellow slots)

External eSATA is a Maxtor 250 SATA in an Xcraft 350 enclosure. All components, cable, case, power and drive are known working. Works on my HP laptop and two other PCs, so the defect/fault is motherboard side.

Strangely enough, when you check the P5Q's BIOS in BOOT, Maxtor IDE, presumably detecting the switched on Maxtor eSATA, is selectable. Weird!

Help! : (

PS: And is it 'normal' for for the SATA drives to have dissappeared from presentation in MAIN in BIOS 1702?

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Antec 900; Corsair HX-520; ASUS P5Q Deluxe (BIOS 1702); Intel Q6600; 4GB G.SKILL PII PC-8500 IDC 1066FSB @ 2.0v; GeCUBE HD4850 1GB DDR3 OC Ed w/Catalyst 8.12; 2x 500GB Maxtor DiamondMax21(7200.xx) SATA2 RAID 0 on ports 0&1 ICH10R; SONY SATA CD-RW port2, SONY Flash card reader int USB2; Vista Home Premium SP1.
SL
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 215
Posted:1/6/2009 3:46:00 PM # 2
Hi,

Please have take a look to my previous post (4th or 5th before yours, from SL). It took me several days to find out that the marvell driver induce big troubles. With vista (at least), I found a solution by downgrading the marvell driver to the generic microsoft ide pci driver (that one which is automaticcaly installed upon windows first installation). Both 1.2.057 and 1.2.060  marvell drivers did not work for me.That every HD connected to the esata port or the the orange sata connectors (port multiplicator SIL 5723) are correctly identified and work perfectly. But I have to say that the hot plug dont work for me with this solution. Like we say in french (and maybe in english): " it's better than nothing".

SL

Asus P8P67D deluxe (B3 revision). Bios 2001, PCB rev 1.03. CPU intel core i7 2600K + Prolimatech Armageddon cooler. Crucial Ballistix sport 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3-12800 CL10 1.5V, dual channel. PNY GTX580 videocard. 2xIntel_SSDSA2MH080G2 AHCI on P67. Windows 7 64b Home premium.
sigrun
Level :
Posted:1/7/2009 8:22:00 AM # 3

Hello SL and thank you for responding.

I've read your post and noted the contents.

I have tried all versions of the Marvell drivers to no avail. Later today I will uninstall them all and see how I go with the native Vista SP1 driver. Fingers crossed. That seems as good a solution as any ASUS have come up with so far! ;p

The BIOS settings have been double, triple, quadruple crosschecked, and there's nothing in BIOS (1702) that I can change which appears as if it will make any difference. I think the eSATA drive is actually being detected by the BIOS, because it is annunciated as present on the Marvell IDE in the BOOT options menu. However, somewhere between the motherboard and operating system, it is not detected or presented in Vista SP1. This is such a significant problem, it's difficult to believe that it hasn't evidenced itself previously or been been addressed yet.

Also I have a second eSATA drive, a 320GB Seagate I can try just to be doubly sure. Also in an Xcraft 350 case. I will report my success or otherwise back here later.

PS: BTW, with the eSATA drive connected to the rear panel eSATA port, even when it is turned off the PC will hang for minutes during boot. Once I unplug it, the PC boots quickly and normallly again. Weird behaviour!

Antec 900; Corsair HX-520; ASUS P5Q Deluxe (BIOS 1702); Intel Q6600; 4GB G.SKILL PII PC-8500 IDC 1066FSB @ 2.0v; GeCUBE HD4850 1GB DDR3 OC Ed w/Catalyst 8.12; 2x 500GB Maxtor DiamondMax21(7200.xx) SATA2 RAID 0 on ports 0&1 ICH10R; SONY SATA CD-RW port2, SONY Flash card reader int USB2; Vista Home Premium SP1.
sigrun
Level :
Posted:1/8/2009 8:18:00 AM # 4
Followup
Due to your suggestion SL, I finally got it working. Many thanks.

How? I uninstalled the ASUS install disk supplied and auto-installed Marvell driver and removed the device from Device Manager.

Important for anyone reading this. You must manually remove the associated Marvell device from Device Manager after uninstalling the driver. It will not remove itself after the driver is uninstalled even with a reboot. If you do not remove it, Vista will still not install its own "IDE dual PCI" driver and the onboard eSATA port still won't recognise any attached device. You can recognise that specific Marvell device (there are several) after uninstallation of the drive as it will have a yellow disabled exclamation mark annotating it.

JL. After I uninstalled the Marvell driver and rebooted the PC, I still couldn't detect the drive, so I went and searched Device Manager where I found the device still present. I removed it. and then used Hotswap! to "scan for new devices". Without the Marvell driver installed, this time Hotswap! detected the connected eSATA drive, with Vista subsequently presenting a dialogue box announcing it was installing the native Vista device driver for the port. As best I recall, it was called "IDE dual PCI driver". Checking now, it's installed in Device Manager's drive list as an ATA drive. I confess, I do find it strange that the motherboard BIOS refers to the port as IDE and Vista appears to install it as a PATA drive on the eSATA port rather than SATA? However I care less about that than the fact that now, finally, I have it working. What a weird arrangement! "Easy to set up" my ar$e! :) (see the referring blurb on the P5Q Deluxe webpage)

Again, thanks for your assistance JL, and hope this might assist others out there who might be experiencing the same frustration remedying this problem.

Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.