ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Audio Cards > Xonar U1  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]Xonar U1 under Linux Compatibility New Topic
Raven
Level :
Tech Points : 0
Posted:1/5/2009 1:43:00 PM # 1
Hello :)

I did read about thousand topics about Xonar U1, on linux forums, and here on asustek forum.
I know that there's no official info about getting this card to work under Linux, but I did notice that asustek is fairly open-minded to opensource :) (thx Simon Bridge from LinuxQuestions)

It's well known that many products singed by ASUS, works pretty well under Linux. There is no exception with this card?

If it's not working now, it will be pretty soon?
How to get it working?

Any information connected to this card will be really helpfull.

And little offtopic, why this card is so hard to get right now? (Poland currently)

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
yoyolai
Level :
Tech Points : 78
Posted:1/7/2009 1:03:00 AM # 2
Hi,

Unfortunately, Xonar U1 doesn't have Linux driver yet, and I can't say when it will be avialable for U1.
However, almost all other Xonar series products have Linux driver already.
Such as:
http://alsa-project.org/main/index.php/User:ClemensLadisch

I'll direct your request to our Polan office.
Hope you'll be seeing them soon there.
Thanks.

Best,

(One of the insiders in the Asus Audio Research Center)
wiskas
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 0
Posted:1/23/2009 1:10:00 AM # 3
I've had this card for almost a year now and it actually works with generic ALSA snd-usb-audio driver.
However there are some things that don't work:
* SPDIF output - i didn't test it, but it doesn't show in ALSA mixer controls, so I assume that it doesn't work
* controlling volume and muting/unmuting by rotating/pressing the upper part of the card isn't implemented.
* and of course various dolby effects are implemented in software on windows, so they won't work either.

Other than that the card works perfectly and I'm glad i bought it. However it would be even better if Asus released the documentation for it so the ALSA team can implement the missing features.

cladisch
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 465
Posted:1/23/2009 5:45:00 PM # 4
* SPDIF output - i didn't test it, but it doesn't show in ALSA mixer controls, so I assume that it doesn't work

This just means that there isn't a mixer control that applies exclusively to the S/PDIF output.

* controlling volume and muting/unmuting by rotating/pressing the upper part of the card isn't implemented.

Please send the output of "lsusb -v" for this device to me or to the ALSA mailing list.

Dzhagayev
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:2/2/2010 7:20:00 PM # 5
Hi there, could you tell me please, is the problem with volume control wheel on "xonar u1"  solved? does it work? if it is, tell me please how did you do that. I'll be very grateful to you.

p.s. I'm using the lastest ubuntu  (9.10). sound work properly (it sounds :) ), but amarok decide that the card is like C-Media, the system thinking that it is general usb sound card. I google a lot, but can't solve that problem. May be it will be helpfull to some one.
deteils about xonar series on alsa wiki page
Thanks

cladisch
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:2/2/2010 8:31:00 PM # 6
is the problem with volume control wheel on "xonar u1"  solved?

From the point of view of the computer, this part of the U1 pretends to be a keyboard with some multimedia keys. How these keys are handled depends on your configuration.

amarok decide that the card is like C-Media

This device indeed uses a C-Media chip.

the system thinking that it is general usb sound card.

It is, apart from some vendor-specific commands needed for the digital output (supported since kernel 2.6.32).

Dzhagayev
Level :
Posted:2/2/2010 9:37:00 PM # 7

Quote:
Author: cladisch Posted: 2/2/2010 8:31:00 PM

is the problem with volume control wheel on "xonar u1"  solved?

From the point of view of the computer, this part of the U1 pretends to be a keyboard with some multimedia keys. How these keys are handled depends on your configuration.

Thanks a lot! But I was trying a lot of times, to capture the signal of pressed o rounded wheel of U1 and didn't get any result, I try several programs which can allow to make the hotkey and for now I have no positive results... Your advice theoretically right, but did you implement it into life with your Xonar? :) if yes, say me what are you using and how :)

cladisch
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:2/3/2010 10:30:00 PM # 8
According to some email, the device does not actually send the events to the computer.
I'd guess that it needs some unknown vendor-specific commands to enable it.

Dzhagayev
Level :
Posted:2/4/2010 2:18:00 AM # 9
Thanks. I've decided to refuse from this device .... I will try the creative solutions.. Really I didn't like the sound. May be this is only with my device, but I didn't mention the difference beetween my onboard audio and this one..

Dym
Level :
Tech Points : 2
Posted:5/20/2010 9:53:00 PM # 10
Hi,
As a hint, I just upgraded to new R500 Lenovo + Ubuntu 10.04 and had a problem with cracks/noises from Xonar U1 when playing audio.
It was really annoying and sounded like an old, scratched record.

This issue was solved by disabling Digital output in alsamixer.
Just type "alsamixer" in shell, select Digital and press "m", it will mute the output and voila.

Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: yoyolai New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.