Topic : [Problem]Motherboard temp sensor location New Topic
Ulrich
Level :
Tech Points : 18340
Posted:1/3/2009 11:47:00 PM # 11

Quote:
Author: usihb Posted: 1/3/2009 1:34:00 AM

Thanks for answering Ulrich.

But I think something is 'fishy' with either location or the sensor itself...
When I measuring mb surface temps with a Rayteon 'laser' temp meter, I can't find anything that's hotter than 40C in that area.
In fact, there's nothing in the PC that measures over 40C when it's idle.
Still, this sensor insists on that it's over 50C at the sensor location.

I have had many Asus motherboards in this very same case (Lian-Li full tower):
P5WD2-E
P5WDG2 WS Pro
P5E WS Pro

None of these motherboards ever showed over 40C...

Hi u..

Infrared sensors may have an accuracy +/- 5c, depending on the temperatue range and BIOS temperature readings may also have a similar range for accuracy so I wouldn't expect the two to necessarily agree.  Nevertheless, with a properly calibrated infrared sensor, you are going to have a pretty accurate reading of the actual temperature.  The diode or thermister that constitutes the mainboard temperature sensor is sending a voltage to the Super I/O which then outputs a signal to the BIOS which then interprets the signal through an algorithm... so the absolute accuracy of the 'motherboard' temperature reading is always questionable.. same for any temperature interpretation in a computer system.  So as a baseline, the 'motherboard' temperature may be useful but don't bet the farm on it.

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
There are 10 kinds of people in the World...Those who understand binary, and those who dont!
Frosty
Level :
Tech Points : 0
Posted:1/13/2009 10:53:00 AM # 12

Hello Sir,

I got a quick question for ya, i bought an Asus P6T Deluxe like 1 month ago and today i finally bought my second BFG 280 gtx OC for SLI Performance. Everything seem to work properly.. but i am very worried about my Motherboard temperature.... PC Probe say i am running at 56deg idle state and 67 degres at full load when.... PC probe keep sending me alerts about my MB temperature..... 

I would like to know if 67degres can arm my motherboard...

thank you

Ulrich
Level :
Posted:1/13/2009 11:17:00 AM # 13
Hi F..

No...  67c can't harm the board and if you have read through this thread, then you know why your 'motherboard' temperature is reading so high... those video cards are sitting on top of the 'motherboard' temperature sensor. How is your CPU temperature...? 

Set the Probe 'motherboard' temperature alarm threshold to 70c and you shouldn't hear the alarm any more. 

There are 10 kinds of people in the World...Those who understand binary, and those who dont!
Frosty
Level :
Posted:1/13/2009 11:29:00 AM # 14

Thanks Ulrich,

My CPU temperature is at 51 degress Idle and 59 degres full load, i am using the Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme 1366 as a cooler. I noticed that both of my video card are very hot to the touch... i cannot hold my fingers on one of those cards for more than 4 seconds without feeling an heavy pain... i am thinking about installing a new fan near the mobo chipset for a better airflow. Do you know any programs who is able to read the temperature of my videos cards ? I noticed that you cannot see the temperature on the nvidia forceware drivers.

thanks,

-= Frosty =-

Ulrich
Level :
Posted:1/13/2009 11:44:00 AM # 15
Hi f..

I think this program can read the GPU temperature in real time...

http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php

If you don't use a case with an air chimney or fan in the side panel, that might be another consideration... you side panel can be modified.  I expect you could lower your case temperature by at least 10c if you installed a fan blowing in.

Frosty
Level :
Posted:1/14/2009 8:12:00 AM # 16

I just ran 3D MARK Vantage with CPU_ID enabled... and the results kinda affraids me...

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b272/Hortek/3DMarkVantage.jpg

Do you guys see anything wrong ???

Kilgore Trout
Level :
Tech Points : 6
Posted:8/17/2009 2:14:00 AM # 17
I did a quick test with some freeze spray to cool things down and my finger to heat them up.  So far as I am able to determine, the motherboard temperature of the ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 motherboard  is actually the temperature of the Winbond chip itself.  It is not an ambient temperature.  Due to its location, it is also highly affected by the cooling layout of the first video card in the system.

In this picture of a P6T Deluxe V2 motherboard, I have outlined the Winbond chip with a green rectangle.

Tech Points : 1367
Posted:8/23/2009 4:53:00 AM # 18
Hi Frosty, Can you explain what you mean as we can't look at the image which has been deleted.

P6T deLuxe, i7 920 D0 @ 4.2 Ghz water cooled with XSPC Rasa 750 RS360, 12 Gb (6 x 2) Corsair Dominator TR3X6G1600C8D @ 1600 Mhz 8 8 8 24 2T, Asus GTX580 Direct CUII @ 940 Mhz with memory @ 4400 Mhz, 2 Tb Samsung HD Win7 64 plus 2Tb WD Caviar Black data drive, 2 x Samsung SATA DVD writers, P/S Antec HCP-1200W, Cooler Master HAF X case, Samsung T240 1920x1200 Monitor, XGR wireless k/b + mouse, 5.1 Amp and speakers
First  Prev  1 2
Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.