ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Wireless > WL-520GU  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem] New Topic
stacy
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 13
Posted:12/15/2008 3:47:00 PM # 1

wl-520u, you can enter 192.168.1.1 >System Setup>Operation Mode>choose Access Point

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Rivera Vazquez
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 0
Posted:12/17/2008 6:30:00 AM # 2
It doesn't work doing that. I need a guide for Wireless AP configuration. I tried setting the router to Access Point mode. I couldn't get it working.

cici
Level :
Tech Points : 11
Posted:12/17/2008 5:34:00 PM # 3
In AP mode, you should manually set the IP address on your PC for example 192.168.1.2

Rivera Vazquez
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 0
Posted:12/18/2008 9:15:00 AM # 4
The problem is the router doesn't get the signal from the primary router. I want to know how to configure the router so I can get the access point with a wireless connection from the primary to this router. I tried to make the setup by myself and I could not get it working with Asus firmware.  I checked online and nobody could not get it neither. I want to know if someone had success configuring this router as WAP. It would help me a lot if someone can give me a guide step by step about how to configure this router as Wireless access point using as a primary a non Asus router.

Moore
Level :
Tech Points : 2
Posted:5/10/2009 5:33:00 PM # 5
I want to do the same as Rivera but I'm not having any luck. Could you say whether this can be done with a 520-GU

Coman4e
Level :
Tech Points : 4
Posted:5/10/2009 7:04:00 PM # 6

Quote:
Author: Rivera Vazquez Posted: 12/18/2008 9:15:00 AM

It would help me a lot if someone can give me a guide step by step about how to configure this router as Wireless access point using as a primary a non Asus router.

I am not sure about ASUS APs, but with D-Links it is not possible.
"Secondary" (non-primary) AP is called "Repeater". So with the D-Links, both Primary and Repeater APs should be of the same model in order to function together.

brucy
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:6/2/2009 9:22:00 AM # 7
You must print out, read, and understand the instructions, and then configure two or identical routers very specifically according to the instructions. For example, each router must know the MAC address of the other routers, and it must be entered manually in each router. Only one should be used as a DHCP unless you want to bridge two separate networks. The instructions use one router as an example. Me, I will be buying the WL-520GU because another one is already installed in the location I need to extend.

ASUS Wireless Router WDS Configuration Guide v1.0 is the instructions. I found it in the downloads for the WL-520GU. WDS means wireless distribution system (in the manual).

One thing I don't understand yet. Turning on the hybrid setup, will the first router (the one with DHCP on) be able to connect directly to laptops? I want repeater, so any laptop can connect to either router, the one with the strongest signal. It seems at first glance it should work on hybrid mode. It's cheap enough to buy a second one an try it. Hey, it's not an Apple $200 rig. My brother has that one. Works fine, but took him a while to set it up. He used separate SSIDs too. That is the least of the problems. Whether they should b on the same frequency (channel 3 in the example) is a larger issue. One can only try...

You can only waste several hours and some bucks, but I think it's worth it.

Bruce

Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: HHC New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.