Join member

ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Graphic Card > EAH3450 Series  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Sharing]How to get the HDMI sound to work (maybe) New Topic
PaulTaupoNZ
Level :
Tech Points : 31
Posted:11/29/2008 3:23:00 PM # 1
Hey folks, from what I've done recently, I may have figured out HOW to get the HDMI sound to work. (Well on the EAH3450 / DI / 256 mb anyway)

I haven't actually TESTED this, to see if it works, because I havent got anything with HDMI on it

BUT, so far, I've found out that

The latest version of the drivers on the ATI site DON'T work (the HDMI Audio entry doesnt appear under the Audio tab)

The cd drivers on the cd, that came with this video card DON'T work (even tho the HDMI Audio drivers menu appears). (This doesnt put the HDMI Audio driver under the Audio tab either). From my observations, BOTH are broken

The only version of the drivers, I've found that actually put the ATI HD Audio rear output entry under the Audio tab (in sounds in control panel in XP), are the ones on the ASUS site for this card

Here

http://dlsvr04.asus.com/pub/ASUS/vga/ATI/ati8451_winxp.zip

The other link maybe faster, you'll have to go to the ASUS site to download the file from there

And these drivers, are the only drivers that had a custom install (which actually showed the ATI HDMI Audio drivers). And installed the HDMI Audio drivers (And show in sounds, under the Audio tab)

Some people, (according to different forums I've looked at), also say that the 8.2 / 8.4 ATI drivers work. I dont know, I didnt test these, to see if either worked

The 8451 drivers were fine (there was no need to install 2.09 of the realtek drivers).

I downloaded the realtek drivers , but didnt have to install them

If you decide to give the above a try, I would uninstall all versions of the ATI drivers. Get drivercleaner 1.5 (free version), install it, boot into safe mode, run it.

Select ATI / CCC, and ATI Uninstall Utility. Wait for it to finish. Reboot, unzip the file, reinstall the above drivers

Reboot

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
P5Q SE/R 8 GB Ram Windows 8 Pro x64
PaulTaupoNZ
Level :
Posted:12/11/2008 8:57:00 AM # 2
One thing, I noticed WITH the ASUS drivers, is it puts a white pixel on the top left hand corner of your LCD.

(Well it did here, I thought it was a stuck / dead pixel). It wasnt, its probably a bug / glitch in the ASUS drivers.

I uninstalled the ASUS drivers, cleaned the drivers out with drivercleaner, and then reinstalled the 8.11 ATI drivers. The pixel disappeared.

I also noticed the HDMI Audio drivers didnt get uninstalled (When I uninstalled the ASUS drivers). And the HDMI Audio still worked.

Today 8.12 of the ATI drivers came out, so I uninstalled 8.11 cleaned the drivers out again. Then installed 8.12. Funnily enough, the HDMI Audio are still there !

So, at the mo, I'm using the latest version of the ATI drivers for this card, and the HDMI Audio is still working !

PaulTaupoNZ
Level :
Posted:12/12/2008 7:32:00 AM # 3
Hmm interesting, I've just done a clean install, installed the HD Audio drivers (for onboard), rebooted, installed 8.12 of the ATI drivers, rebooted.

There should be an entry in device manager called High definition Audio (for HDMI Audio).

Delete it, then reboot. Once you reboot, a window should appear asking for the drivers, here it did it automatically. Then I had HDMI audio. (it works with the HDMI cable).. Not too sure if its 5:1, coz its not hooked up to a stereo at the mo

So, you dont need the ASUS drivers and you dont need 2.09 of the realtek drivers (last time I did this, it killed the sound completely)

I'm not too sure, IF the ATI drivers installed anything (the HDMI Audio drivers werent an option, and there was no menu for it, in the ATI driver install).

Or its because I've got the HDMI cable connected at the mo. Why HDMI audio works

ZXSpectrum
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 3
Posted:12/17/2008 5:28:00 PM # 4
You guys,i can see all of you say hdmi works!!have any of you actually heard a sound from it?i mean...yes it installs and everything but my tv doesn't make a sound!!!!!!is there any cable to connect physiclly between the soundcard or the mobo to the videocard?i don't understand exactly how it is supposed to work!don't you have to hear sounds directly on your HDMI TV?Please explain.Thanks

PaulTaupoNZ
Level :
Posted:12/19/2008 5:02:00 AM # 5
Well, the sound works here, using the HDMI cable from the PC to this monitor. Since the monitor has HDMI on it.In 2 channel of course, since the monitor has only got 2 speakers.

NO, this card supports 5:1 onboard, you DON'T have to connect it to anything (like SPDIF from the mobo). Well you cant anyway, there are no connections on it

Did you change the default device under sounds / audio to HDMI??

If its there?? You have to if you want HDMI Audio to work

If HDMI doesnt appear under the Audio tab, go to device manager (if you've installed the ATI drivers), see if there's an HD Audio entry under sounds, with a ? beside it. Delete it if its there, then reboot

mikky_G
Level :
Tech Points : 0
Posted:12/22/2008 9:51:00 PM # 6
Hi folks, 

just got myself the eah3450.
I have a system with on-board sound, ie soundmax on a intel i915g chipset board.
I actually just want to use my old on-board sound and not bother with any hdmi sound from the graphics card but i get the conflict performance issues. Am I able to disable the hdmi sound on the graphics card and use my onboard sound.
Thanx in advance.
Michael

PaulTaupoNZ
Level :
Posted:12/23/2008 4:27:00 AM # 7
You should be able to change it, by going to control panel / sounds and audio devices.

Audio tab, change the default playback device (click on the arrow at the end), to the onboard soundcard. Thats it

Dont think you can disable it, unless you delete the Audio entry for it, I suppose. Or disable its entry in device manager, under sounds

mikky_G
Level :
Posted:12/23/2008 12:17:00 PM # 8

Thanx PaulAkNZ,

Unfortunatley the audio playback device in sounds and audio devices doesn't have reference to the asus card only my onboard, and the device manager doesnt mention it either?

Alex
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:12/23/2008 2:07:00 PM # 9

Read this.

http://www.otheos.com/?page_id=476

http://www.otheos.com/?page_id=476
mikemcd
Level :
Posted:1/6/2009 11:02:00 AM # 10
I cannot get the HDMI Audio selection to appear in the Audio tab on the Sounds and Audio Devices Properties (SoundMAX HD Audio is the only choice). Video card is EAH4850. I downloaded the ASUS VGA card display driver version 8.523 for Windows XP, used the included program to remove all ATI software, rebooted, and installed the drivers. HDMI audio was one of the 3 packages it said it would install. When I run the CheckVer program (included in the update) it shows HDMI Audio Driver version 1.6a. I also don't see anything new in the Sound section of the Device manager. What am I doing wrong???

1 2  Next  Last
Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.