SEARCH
ASUS Member ID
Password
Forgot password?
Join member

ASUS Support Home Location : Forum  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]SupremeFX X-Fi Factory Sound Card / Cannot Install Drivers New Topic
J4CK4L
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 0
Posted:11/29/2008 2:23:00 PM # 1
Hi all, looking for some help resolving issues with no sound. Card is the factory supplied ASUS SupremeFX X-Fi shipped with the retail Rampage II Extreme motherboard.

All my system specs are below in the sig.  Just put this system together 6 hrs ago and have been running 4GHz @ 41C on a Core i7 920.  I have looped 3D Mark Vantage for 1 hr with CPU not getting over 59C.

No stability issues whatsoever.

Now I  performed a clean install of Windows XP Professional X64 SP2 on a 150GB Partition as well as a clean install of Vista Ultimate SP1 64 Bit also on a seperate 150GB Partition.

As soon as each OS was installed I ran the ASUS Install-all Driver off of the DVD and on Each one the SoundMax driver was not on the list. 

I navigated to the Drivers folder and when trying to install the SoundMax Driver I get the error; "The HDA audio bus driver is required and not found" 

I downloaded the newest driver revisions from the ASUS support website and experienced repeated results being unsucessful.

I have seached hi and low for trying every possible solution from enabling & disabling the HD Audio / Front Panel Connector (both AC97  & Azila settings) and rebooting, un plugging the card and re-inserting it and re-booting.

Device Manager shows no unknown devices either in XP or Vista, tried manually installing device through add hardware wizard.  I have tried several KB from M$ and each time I get the message; "The software currently installed is newer than the update and setup will now close." 

Any help will be gratefully accepted.

PS:
 I have read and tried other solutions posted for similar sound issues here on the ASUS forums, it appears I am not alone with this but when people figure it out it would seem the working solution has not been posted, or my old tired eyes missed it.

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
ASUS Rampage II Extreme / Core i7 920 @ 4.0GHz / 6GB G-Skill DDR3 1600 9-9-9-24 / ASUS GTX285 x2 SLI / HiPoint RocketRaid 3510 Controller with (4)300Gb WD Velociraptors in RAID5 / Thermalright 120 Extreme Black Edition w/ SilenX IXP 76-18 120mm Fan / Silverstone TJ-07BW Case / Silverstone OP1200 PSU
Sensory Overlord
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:11/29/2008 4:26:00 PM # 2

No.  There wasn't a solution, though I admit to not yet having tried the 0407 bios downgrade, yet.  Yours does seem a slightly different matter, as it seems most of us have at least got the SoundMAX drivers installed.

Neeko
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:11/29/2008 4:53:00 PM # 3
I Going to try a complete OS install this coming week. I'm reaching to all forms of support
to and get this resolved. Tech support,forums,talking to fellow gamers on Team Speak.
I even tried to call Creative support for "ANY" thoughts,but they basicly told me to speak 
to "ASUS" !  I know I'm a novice system builder, but I not the only one with this problem.
I'm fighting tooth&nail to keep my Rampage II Extreme, but without your help
I'm Blind ! If a moderator or any experienced builder as insight on the Correct Procedure,
for the OS reinstall. To Get the "Supreme FX  X-FI"  & Creative software running.

PS... ASUS & Creative should have a little chat ! They would not give me support,but
its there software that runs this !!!!

ASUS Rampage II Extreme / Core i7 965EE / 6GB Corsair DDR3 1600 9-9-9-24 / Sapphire 4870X2 / WD VelociRaptor 150GB / Corsair 1000 PSU / Gigabyte 3D Mars Case / Vista Ultimate SP1 (64)
J4CK4L
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:11/29/2008 4:39:00 PM # 4

I am running the new 705 BIOS but mine did come with the 407 on both chips.  Due to previous BIOS night mare involving 4 RMA's with a Striker Extreme ( all BIOS related) I tend to be a little spookey going back and forth with revisions.

I used to believe in, "If it ain't broke fix it until it is" but for the sake of just keeping things running stable I really don't want to jack this mobo up.  Awful funny statement though considering I just OC'ed the CPU 1.3GHz over stock LMAO.

I wonder if it may also be the GTX280's in SLI?  I went through 9 months of X-fi / Vista / sound driver issues on my Striker Extreme - Once I did get the sound working without the popping noise then my mic wouldn't work in Ventrilo while gaming.

Thanks for your reply, I'll sleep on this and flash one of my BIOS chips back to 407 and cross my fingers, but from the sound of it need to wipe out the OS again and start from a clean partition, again.

ASUS Rampage II Extreme / Core i7 920 @ 4.0GHz / 6GB G-Skill DDR3 1600 9-9-9-24 / ASUS GTX285 x2 SLI / HiPoint RocketRaid 3510 Controller with (4)300Gb WD Velociraptors in RAID5 / Thermalright 120 Extreme Black Edition w/ SilenX IXP 76-18 120mm Fan / Silverstone TJ-07BW Case / Silverstone OP1200 PSU
J4CK4L
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:11/30/2008 1:15:00 AM # 5

OK here is an update of what I tried.  Again I was using BIOS v705.

I reset all BIOS settings to defaults and flashed both BIOS back to v407 that the motherboard shipped with.  Leaving EVERYTHING in BIOS default I nuked both my partitions with XP Pro 64 Bit & Vista 64 Bit.

I re-installed XP Pro 64 bit and as soon as I was able to reach desktop I inserted the ASUS R2E DVD and tried to install the SoundMax FX driver & software.  I got the exact same message, HDA Audion driver is required and not present.

So much for flashing back the BIOS,  I honestly believe at this point it is either a M$ software issue or the PCIe lanes being used by two GTX280's in SLI is an issue or even the sound card it self.

Again I did not install ANY drivers yet.  OS is a CLEAN install of Win XP PRO 64 Bit SP1 with no updates.  I feel autoupdates caused this initially so I am reluctant to connect NIC cable until sound is resolved.

Neeko
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:11/30/2008 3:37:00 AM # 6

Quote:
Author: J4CK4L Posted: 11/30/2008 1:15:00 AM

So much for flashing back the BIOS,  I honestly believe at this point it is either a M$ software issue or the PCIe lanes being used by two GTX280's in SLI is an issue or even the sound card it self.

Again I did not install ANY drivers yet.  OS is a CLEAN install of Win XP PRO 64 Bit SP1 with no updates.  I feel autoupdates caused this initially so I am reluctant to connect NIC cable until sound is resolved.

J4ck4L,
#1) I'm only using one VGA, 4870x2 is one card, so that rules out (sli)
#2)   I filled out a support ticket with Asus, They said to try this procedure.
I hopefully will get to do this on Tuesday, 12/2/08. If you get to do this before,
please post results...

If the troubleshooting below does not correct the issue there is a good chance the cause is a hardware failure of the onboard audio controller.

Please start by getting the latest audio driver from http://www.asus.com.tw/support/download/download.aspx.

Completely uninstall the driver you have and reinstall the new driver. Make sure to remove it from Device Manager AND from Add & Remove Programs.

Next, clear the system c-mos memory following the procedure in your manual. Make sure the power AND the battery on the motherboard is removed before shorting the CLR RTC solder points or jumper pins.

Also, please make sure that if you are using AC 97 Legacy Audio that your front panel audio connector on the MB is connected and being used, if not used, has the return jumpers in place from the B_LINEOUT to the LINEOUT for BOTH the left & right channels. If the front panel audio is in use, please remove it from the header connector and place jumpers here for troubleshooting.

Make sure you have a FRESH install of your OS on THIS motherboard and that the drive was partitioned and formatted on this motherboard. Make sure that you install the most recent drivers in the following order:
1) Chipset/Motherboard drivers (Example, VIA 4 in 1's for VIA chipsets, Intel INF and Application Accelerator for Intel chipsets, Etc.) Do this BEFORE loading any other driver!
2) Latest version of Direct X.
3) Latest Video Card drivers.
4) SCSI/ATA drivers
5) Lan/NIC drivers
6) Modem drivers, then any other drivers
7) Finally, install sound card drivers LAST!

ASUS Rampage II Extreme / Core i7 965EE / 6GB Corsair DDR3 1600 9-9-9-24 / Sapphire 4870X2 / WD VelociRaptor 150GB / Corsair 1000 PSU / Gigabyte 3D Mars Case / Vista Ultimate SP1 (64)
J4CK4L
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:11/30/2008 5:02:00 AM # 7

Quote:
Author: Neeko Posted: 11/30/2008 3:37:00 AM

Quote:
Author: J4CK4L Posted: 11/30/2008 1:15:00 AM

J4ck4L,
#1) I'm only using one VGA, 4870x2 is one card, so that rules out (sli)
#2)   I filled out a support ticket with Asus, They said to try this procedure.
I hopefully will get to do this on Tuesday, 12/2/08. If you get to do this before,
please post results...

If the troubleshooting below does not correct the issue there is a good chance the cause is a hardware failure of the onboard audio controller.

Please start by getting the latest audio driver from http://www.asus.com.tw/support/download/download.aspx.

Completely uninstall the driver you have and reinstall the new driver. Make sure to remove it from Device Manager AND from Add & Remove Programs.

Next, clear the system c-mos memory following the procedure in your manual. Make sure the power AND the battery on the motherboard is removed before shorting the CLR RTC solder points or jumper pins.

Also, please make sure that if you are using AC 97 Legacy Audio that your front panel audio connector on the MB is connected and being used, if not used, has the return jumpers in place from the B_LINEOUT to the LINEOUT for BOTH the left & right channels. If the front panel audio is in use, please remove it from the header connector and place jumpers here for troubleshooting.

Make sure you have a FRESH install of your OS on THIS motherboard and that the drive was partitioned and formatted on this motherboard. Make sure that you install the most recent drivers in the following order:
1) Chipset/Motherboard drivers (Example, VIA 4 in 1's for VIA chipsets, Intel INF and Application Accelerator for Intel chipsets, Etc.) Do this BEFORE loading any other driver!
2) Latest version of Direct X.
3) Latest Video Card drivers.
4) SCSI/ATA drivers
5) Lan/NIC drivers
6) Modem drivers, then any other drivers
7) Finally, install sound card drivers LAST!

Thanks for the reply & info Neeko. Since then I have also tried both BIOS versions 503 & 602 following the above procedures. I cannot even get any driver to install to begin with. In device mangaer It doesnt even show an unknown device to install a driver for. For all intents and purposes I just as well plug a Q-tip in the PCIe x1 (Black / Audio) slot as no hardware is being deteced in any OS. I have now tried XP SP1 / XP SP2 / XP SP3 + XP 64 Bit Sp1 & SP3 + Vistal Ultimate 64 bit Original release & SP1 versions. I seriously believe the SupremeFX X-Fi card is a dud, lights up real pretty but thats all it seems to do. Just the the old days } If it don't go chrome it!

J4CK4L
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:11/30/2008 11:23:00 PM # 8
Well out of frustration I gave up on the bungled (bundled) sound card included with the R2E motherboard. I am certain that the SupremeFX X-Fi card just is DOA as no ohter PC I have placed it in 9PCIe 1x slot) will even pop up "new hardware detected" So sadly I pulled out my 2nd GTX 280 in order to uncover a PCI slot and put in my 2 year old SB X-Fi Fata1ity sound card and had it running in under 2 minutes. I don't think that blue led lit trinket is worth any more of my time and frustration. This card is software emulated and not exactly the quality of something that should be in a $400 motherboard of $5000 PC. I appreciate everyone offering suggestions and info. So as I dont have a $400 GTX 280 paperweight I am going to get the PCIe version of the Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium and put in the black PCIe slot. Some one posted here in the forums all they did was snap off 5 of the "tabs" of the heatsink directly behind the slot and these cards fit nicely and work just as well. Overall my experience with the R2E motherboard had exceeded my expectations by 150% but if your having issues with the included SupremeFx X-Fi card I recommend you place it with the silica gel bag that came with your tower case. That it how valuable it is.

Steve
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:1/7/2009 10:42:00 AM # 9

Quote:
Author: J4CK4L Posted: 11/30/2008 11:23:00 PM

Well out of frustration I gave up on the bungled (bundled) sound card included with the R2E motherboard. I am certain that the SupremeFX X-Fi card just is DOA as no ohter PC I have placed it in 9PCIe 1x slot) will even pop up "new hardware detected" So sadly I pulled out my 2nd GTX 280 in order to uncover a PCI slot and put in my 2 year old SB X-Fi Fata1ity sound card and had it running in under 2 minutes. I don't think that blue led lit trinket is worth any more of my time and frustration. This card is software emulated and not exactly the quality of something that should be in a $400 motherboard of $5000 PC. I appreciate everyone offering suggestions and info. So as I dont have a $400 GTX 280 paperweight I am going to get the PCIe version of the Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium and put in the black PCIe slot. Some one posted here in the forums all they did was snap off 5 of the "tabs" of the heatsink directly behind the slot and these cards fit nicely and work just as well. Overall my experience with the R2E motherboard had exceeded my expectations by 150% but if your having issues with the included SupremeFx X-Fi card I recommend you place it with the silica gel bag that came with your tower case. That it how valuable it is.

J4CK4L,
Would you send me the X-Fi card - I'll cover S&H plus something extra for your time.

I bought an open box Maximus II Formula just before christmas and all I received was the bare motherboard. (No SupremeFX X-Fi onboard sound riser card, like a fresh box would've come with).

I'd like to give the SupremeFX X-Fi card a try on my board and see if the onboard sound is any good - if I can get it working in the first place.

My e-mail is stevieboy1972 at hotmail dot com
(...the forum rules didn't say I was not allowed to post my contact info)

Best wishes

Steve
Spring, TX

supermr2
Level :
Posted:1/9/2009 6:29:00 AM # 10
same problem here. Im only using one video card. I was under the impression that it was because I was using Xp X64 that it would not load any of the drivers. I am having the exact same problem.  It sounds like the cards are DOA!  

1 2  Next  Last
Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.