Join member

ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Motherboard > P5N-D  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]BIOS ROM Checksum Error New Topic
Daedalus
Level :
Tech Points : 0
Posted:11/8/2008 8:43:00 AM # 1
Yesterday my P5N-D wouldn't boot up properly.  I got a message saying "BIOS ROM checksum error."  The system then fails to detect my keyboard (which is USB).  It then attempts to detect IDE devices and then fails to boot from the CDROM it finds (not that I tried to put anything in there).  It then fails to detect a floppy drive (that I don't have anyway) and then asks me to insert a system disk and press enter.

I managed to get by that by clearing CMOS by moving the CLRTC jumper to pins 2 and 3 for a couple of minutes and then moving it back.

Today I got the same error when I turned on my computer, but this time the CMOS trick didn't work.  Now the system doesn't even get that far; I just get a blank screen; no beeps or anything. The system fans and hard drives do spin up though.

I haven't updated my BIOS lately and haven't seen anything like this before.

Has anyone else had this happen and how did they resolve it?  I found a page suggesting I install a floppy drive to boot off of and use that to reflash the BIOS but since I can't get to the Award BootBlock screen again, that doesn't seem like much of an option.

Thanks in advance.

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Lombardo
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 42
Posted:11/9/2008 1:09:00 AM # 2
HI D
Was the power cord removed when cleared cmos if not pull power cord and clear again.
If need to flash bios if can boot to (dos) post and will give you a flash string to flash from dos command line.

If the power cord was not remover try clear with removed ???

Daedalus
Level :
Posted:11/11/2008 4:28:00 AM # 3

Lombardo:

Yes I tried it with my power supply devoid of power.

I eventually discovered that I could put in one stick of RAM and get the system to boot, at which point I promptly reflashed the BIOS.  When I continued to have boot problems, I manually set my memory voltage and timings to the correct values and didn't have any trouble booting up, but we'll see if the system still boots when I go home today...

Daedalus
Level :
Posted:11/11/2008 8:10:00 AM # 4
Well it didn't boot properly today either.  I had to remove one stick, get into the BIOS options, fix Vcore to be auto and the DRAM voltage to be 2.17 (as per the BIOS option, so it's probably set at something like 2.22), saved the configuration, turned off the system, re-inserted my other stick of RAM, and finally booted up properly.

For reference purposes, when my boot fails I get one long beep followed by silence and then the cycle repeats.  It seems that if I swap the positions of the sticks of RAM, nothing happens and if I put in the "other" stick of RAM, again nothing happens. 

I have run a memory test that showed no errors and have seen no abnormal behavior once the system actually does boot up correctly.

I have reflashed BIOS to hopefully avoid this problem in the future but it has come back.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what might be the problem?  Motherboard? RAM? Processor?  Or am I stuck calling tech support?

This system was only built about 8 months ago.  Here's the hardware I'm using:
Asus P5N-D
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.0GHz
2 sticks of 1GB Crucial Ballistix DDR2
EVGA GeForce8800GT
650 Watt Antec PSU
120GB Western Digital SATA hard drive
Lite-On DVD recorder

AmigaWolf
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 798
Posted:11/12/2008 7:51:00 AM # 5
I hear that a lot of people have problems with Crucial memory on the Asus P5N-D MB.

You can try to ask for other memory, like G.Skill F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ,4096MB.

http://newgskill.web-bi.net/bbs/view.php?id=g_ddr2&page=5&sn1=&divpage=1&sn=off&ss=on&sc=on&select_arrange=headnum&desc=asc&no=95

Like i have, i never have problems with this ram, on Auto and on OC.

Spects: Tower: Cooler Master HAF 922 SE 2x 200mm fan's + 1x 120mm fan, MB: ASRock X58 Extreme3 with Sata3 and eSata3 and USB3, CPU: Intel Core i7-920 3.66GHz, Memory: Kingston 3x2GB DDR3 PC14900 CL9.0 XMP Tall HS, 1866MHz, GFX Card's: 2x Geforce GTX 460 1GB in SLI, PSU: Seasonic X-750, Hard Disk's: 2x OCZ Vertex 30GB in Raid0, 2x 250GB HD in Raid0, Blu-ray-RW Drive: LG BH10LS30, LCD Screen: Acer GD245HQ Nvidia 3D Vision 24", OS: Windows 7 x64 Ultimate.
Zarren
Level :
Tech Points : 35
Posted:11/13/2008 2:05:00 AM # 6

Actually those beep codes are telling you what is wrong.Sometimes theres a list of error codes in motherboard manuals but I couldn't find it for this board so I would call Asus tech support to find out.
What is your bios version? Also is your ram DDR2 800? you didn't specify.
You said you had no floppy so have you disabled it in the bios cause it is enabled by default,therefore everytime you clear cmos it will reenable itself.

Try putting in one stick of ram and make sure it is read by bios correctlly for size,then try changing out to the other stick.You could have one bad stick.
Remeber that these new boards will continue to provide power to your ram when system is off.You gotta turn the psu off or unplug it before changing ram.

However my first guess from that beep code would be to check my ram,then video card to make sure it is seated right and the power cable connected to it.If those things are ok,updating the bios would be my next step especially if you have a 601 or older version.An early bios version did have some problems with video.

Lombardo
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 42
Posted:11/14/2008 1:28:00 AM # 7

Hi D

If you are still having problems right click my computer and right click manage and see what event  viewer has for error codes. Check all four options.\

If thinking about new memory check out patriot LLK memory  patriot extreme performance LLK memory

When move jumper do not need to wait if push start button 5 or 6 times to remove all voltage from MB. It is same as waiting for voltage to dissipate only much faster.

Need to run latest bios also.  If you still have problems need to change bios number by flashing bios.  Ez flash the fastest and easiest way to do it.

Daedalus
Level :
Posted:11/14/2008 5:44:00 AM # 8

Quote:
Author: Zarren Posted: 11/13/2008 2:05:00 AM

Actually those beep codes are telling you what is wrong.Sometimes theres a list of error codes in motherboard manuals but I couldn't find it for this board so I would call Asus tech support to find out.
What is your bios version? Also is your ram DDR2 800? you didn't specify.
You said you had no floppy so have you disabled it in the bios cause it is enabled by default,therefore everytime you clear cmos it will reenable itself.

Try putting in one stick of ram and make sure it is read by bios correctlly for size,then try changing out to the other stick.You could have one bad stick.
Remeber that these new boards will continue to provide power to your ram when system is off.You gotta turn the psu off or unplug it before changing ram.

However my first guess from that beep code would be to check my ram,then video card to make sure it is seated right and the power cable connected to it.If those things are ok,updating the bios would be my next step especially if you have a 601 or older version.An early bios version did have some problems with video.

Yes I'm running DDR800 and the latest version of BIOS available from the Asus support page.  The floppy drive is indeed disabled.

I'll have to try having the BIOS run a memory test on one stick of memory.

I've also reseated my video card, RAM, and power cable.

I talked to Asus online live tech support which indicated that the beep code was power related.

Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: Ulrich New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.